A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:11:44 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Walgreens  (Read 6709 times)
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« on: January 14, 2015, 08:37:42 am »

I had no idea this was coming.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/downtown/walgreens-opens-downtown-pharmacy-near-osu-medical-center/article_15393604-e84f-5b1a-987a-730f0ee0d3f4.html
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:53 am »

Very cool, even cooler if the hours weren't just 8-5

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 09:58:45 am »

It's a good start, but the 5 pm close makes it appear to be primarily intended to service the hospital and not the residences in the area.

I still think a Walgreens or CVS on the eastern half of downtown is as if not more important than a grocery store in the near term.
davideinstein
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:58:36 pm »

It's intended for the hospital.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:59:49 am »

It's intended for the hospital.

Not much help for those leaving the ER and needing a script filled between 5 pm to 8 am.
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:02:27 pm »

I can't tell you how many business travelers I've hosted over the years who are just completely shocked when they hear there isn't a decent drugstore downtown.   Not to mention with all of the residential growth that's occurred in the central, eastern and northern parts of the CBD.   I understand the proximity to the hospital for sure, but I'm not convinced there's not a market for another full-service drugstore/convenience store somewhere closer to the East End.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 01:14:52 pm »

I can't tell you how many business travelers I've hosted over the years who are just completely shocked when they hear there isn't a decent drugstore downtown.   Not to mention with all of the residential growth that's occurred in the central, eastern and northern parts of the CBD.   I understand the proximity to the hospital for sure, but I'm not convinced there's not a market for another full-service drugstore/convenience store somewhere closer to the East End.

We get people in our shop all the time from the nearby hotels asking "Where can I get..." and I usually have to tell them they can't get it within walking distance.  I dread that look of disdain they give you and am really tired of it.  So frustrating.  Heck it's a headache for those of us who spend all day working downtown as well. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 08:13:23 am »

...  Heck it's a headache for those of us who spend all day working downtown as well. 

I see what you did there. Headache. Drug store.  Cheesy
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 02:30:52 pm »

We get people in our shop all the time from the nearby hotels asking "Where can I get..." and I usually have to tell them they can't get it within walking distance.  I dread that look of disdain they give you and am really tired of it.  So frustrating.  Heck it's a headache for those of us who spend all day working downtown as well. 

Maybe that’s your sign you should carry some tooth brushes, toothpaste, shaving gear, condoms, and other sundries travelers need.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 09:22:31 am »

Maybe that’s your sign you should carry some tooth brushes, toothpaste, shaving gear, condoms, and other sundries travelers need.

I'd go with flavored.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 11:04:51 am »

Only have so much square footage/shelf space and can't sell eeeeeverything in my store lol.   Though it does seem at times that we do try.  If we diversified any more the store would become a hodgepodge mess that nobody would want to shop in.  It's short of miraculous that we get what we have in the shop to somehow work together.  High brow to low brow, expensive decor items to cheap little goofy trinkets, books, toys, robots, dinosaurs, tiki's, barware, jewelry, cologne, shirts, purses, touristy stuff, gifts, cards, etc. etc.  It requires a constant effort of artful arranging to keep it all from dissolving into utter chaos.   

Just got back from market and have fun new products already picked out and scheduled to come in monthly till fall. The budget is already laid out and the product lines chosen for spring and summer.

One thing though, sorry to shift the thread, am wanting some inexpensive glass doors for the front of the shop to open it up more and let people see in better as they walk past.  Got an estimate from Robinson Glass and they wanted about $3,500 for the pair installed.  That's more than I would want to spend, and online you can order basic glass and aluminum, storefront commercial doors for far far less, and I am sure that they should be able to get them below those costs.  So not sure whats going on there other than perhaps super high installation and if thats the case I will install myself.  Anyone know of where I could get a better deal locally? 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 11:36:08 am »

One thing though, sorry to shift the thread, am wanting some inexpensive glass doors for the front of the shop to open it up more and let people see in better as they walk past.  Got an estimate from Robinson Glass and they wanted about $3,500 for the pair installed.  That's more than I would want to spend, and online you can order basic glass and aluminum, storefront commercial doors for far far less, and I am sure that they should be able to get them below those costs.  So not sure whats going on there other than perhaps super high installation and if thats the case I will install myself.  Anyone know of where I could get a better deal locally? 

Considering the doors are your main barrier between burglars and your merchandise, I really would not attempt doing a self-install if you have not done it before.  Personally, I’d feel far more comfortable having them installed professionally, plus there is no doubt the fit and finish will be exact when they are done.  There’s got to be other reputable companies in Tulsa who can do this for you.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org