A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:46:34 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REI  (Read 277846 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2015, 04:04:02 pm »

Odd comparison now that Tulsa generally gets the "new stuff" before OKC.  Not always, but more often then not.

The comparison though not direct as a reference to people in Tulsa always wanting what other city's have, but then after the store or restaurant arrives people became fickle about it, an after the newness wore off no boy cared, or now people want it, and then when it's built they don't like the development. With REI I believe they rent most of their locations, an now people are angry about their location, and they probably had little to with the actual development itself.

How long did Wolfgang Puck's place last? Why did it close?
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2015, 04:08:51 pm »

There was a  time when Mongtomery Ward's was cool?

If my mom as still alive, she would tell you how cool it was. She was at the catalog store so often I think she had reserved parking.
Hayduke
Citizen

« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2015, 10:27:17 am »

Longtime reader, first time poster.  The only positive I can gather out of this development is that at least it was done at 71st and riverside and not closer to downtown.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Dewey supported the redevelopment of Woodward Park into a Kmart or Circuit City. I guess what amazes me is the fact that developers and stores like REI still see this as a profitable model.  Is there anything offered by this REI that I can't just buy online? I thought these big box stores were catching on to the fact they needed to create an experience to lure customers rather than simply selling stuff. This is not an experience, it is just a glorified sports authority. I’ll just get my outdoors equipment online for cheaper and skip the trip to the paved shopping nightmare they are creating at this location. I'm just disappointed Tulsa has a mayor who doesn't recognize this problem.  He should be supporting developments that give people a reason to get off their couch, spend money, and pay sales tax rather than just clicking a button and getting exactly what you want for a lower price, within 2 days, delivered to your front step. Maybe I'm still in the minority here but I guarantee that won't last.  Amazon did not really exist in its current state 15 years ago.  Imagine what online shopping will be like in 15 years? How are big box stores like this REI going to compete with the one click, no sales tax, delivered to your house by a drone that same day form of retail?  Unless you enjoy sitting in traffic, standing in lines, dealing with subpar customer services, and being disappointed when a store doesn't have what you want, my guess is that this box store will be long empty by then.

Nothing original here and pretty much just echoes the sentiments of most on here but its my first message board post of all time so I had to get my feet wet at some point.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2015, 10:41:40 am »

What I always expected was that REI would do something unique to incorporate the river trail, and that a restaurant patio type place would fit nicely in the footprint.  I could even get over the parking lot situation (which is way more than necessary) if they incorporated some forestry to make it at least feel like a natural environment since REI is an outdoor store.  The example I think works is the Katy Trail Ice House in Dallas, which is one of my favorite places.  It abuts the Katy Trail running trail in uptown and they created a massive outdoor area that incorporates the trail (they have a water cooler on the trail that greets you to their patio) and they added a bunch of huge mature trees for shade.  If they could do this within the parking lot of this development, and incorporate REI and the restaurant to the running trail and river, it would be a special place.  It would probably be expensive, by why bother if its not going to be special?  Instead, we're getting a cheap suburban strip mall that happens to be near water, and the view while you run by will be the back side of the businesses.  Just strange with all of the possibilities.  See the youtube below for tree installation at Katy Trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj3bLiZ-LXk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:43:36 am by DowntownDan » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2015, 02:45:31 pm »

If the site plan is a done deal they at least still have the opportunity to make the buildings more interesting.  If the side of REI is indeed located along the River path as the site plan shows with a sidewalk connection in front of the store to the river trails there is the opportunity to have the west elevation of the building mostly glass looking out over the river.  It would also look pretty cool driving over the bridge eastbound at night. 

The "restaurant" space to the south hopefully could end up being a local place and not a chain, and thankfully the plan shows a river-facing patio that has potential.  Something like Katy Trail Ice House, like what was mentioned above, would be a hit here.  The more trees in the parking lots the better.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2015, 03:30:33 pm »

Longtime reader, first time poster. 

Welcome to the monkey house, Hayduke.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2015, 07:37:57 pm »

Is there anything offered by this REI that I can't just buy online?

While this isn't a Bass Pro Disneyworld, there is still a lot of things online stores cannot offer that places like REI can:

1. Instant gratification
2. In-person advice
3. Touching the item you want to buy

I buy a lot of stuff online, although I try to curb it some for the sake of my local sales tax collections and local retailers, but there are plenty of items that I want to buy in person... at least the first time. I've bought shoes online but sometimes I need a pair of shoes now. Plus, the ones I bought online were a known style and size I knew would work so I had to buy the first pair in person.

REI is specifically like a mountain biking/kayaking/extreme outdoorsy place. Not just your standard bait and tackle shack and not into casual sports like basketball and golf either.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2015, 07:31:31 am »

This is a good place for this....Especially if they do it like the poster above suggested......

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2015, 11:30:19 am »

If the site plan is a done deal they at least still have the opportunity to make the buildings more interesting.  If the side of REI is indeed located along the River path as the site plan shows with a sidewalk connection in front of the store to the river trails there is the opportunity to have the west elevation of the building mostly glass looking out over the river.  It would also look pretty cool driving over the bridge eastbound at night.  

The "restaurant" space to the south hopefully could end up being a local place and not a chain, and thankfully the plan shows a river-facing patio that has potential.  Something like Katy Trail Ice House, like what was mentioned above, would be a hit here.  The more trees in the parking lots the better.

I guess there's some hope with respect to building design, orientation, trail connectivity, and landscapping.  I hope they spend the money installing mature trees in the parking lot to try and minimize to the extent possible the fact that you're in an ocean of asphalt.  I'm not as perturbed by the location as some, assuming they follow through in moving the volleyball courts, but the site plan and renderings so far look boring and a really poor use of the location.  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:32:00 am by DowntownDan » Logged
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2015, 09:29:37 pm »

The comparison though not direct as a reference to people in Tulsa always wanting what other city's have, but then after the store or restaurant arrives people became fickle about it, an after the newness wore off no boy cared, or now people want it, and then when it's built they don't like the development. With REI I believe they rent most of their locations, an now people are angry about their location, and they probably had little to with the actual development itself.

How long did Wolfgang Puck's place last? Why did it close?

Wolfgang's closed because the owner is/was one of the worst restauranteurs in Oklahoma....And corporate pulled the plug....

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2015, 11:29:24 pm »

Wolfgang's closed because the owner is/was one of the worst restauranteurs in Oklahoma....And corporate pulled the plug....

David Rutkauskas?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2015, 06:08:55 am »

David Rutkauskas?

No.....Worse....

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2015, 02:05:25 pm »

I guess there's some hope with respect to building design, orientation, trail connectivity, and landscapping.  I hope they spend the money installing mature trees in the parking lot to try and minimize to the extent possible the fact that you're in an ocean of asphalt.  I'm not as perturbed by the location as some, assuming they follow through in moving the volleyball courts, but the site plan and renderings so far look boring and a really poor use of the location.  

I would be more disappointed if this was 21st & Riverside but around 71st this is sadly par for the course, even on the river.  Hopefully this leads to a better visioning and set of guidelines for future riverfront developments in Tulsa, something that Blake Ewing has mentioned before and has arisen because of this. 

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2015, 06:22:30 pm »

No.....Worse....

Satan?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2015, 07:06:02 am »

Longtime reader, first time poster.  The only positive I can gather out of this development is that at least it was done at 71st and riverside and not closer to downtown.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Dewey supported the redevelopment of Woodward Park into a Kmart or Circuit City.

Welcome to the conversation! I hope D doesn't read this and then claim it as his own original idea. I bet he still shops at circuit city.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org