A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:15:52 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SMFH  (Read 9197 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 01:01:57 pm »

Oklahoma Senator Draws Fire after 'Hoodie Ban' Outrage

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-senator-draws-fire-after-hoodie-ban-outrage

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A state senator who says he was trying to protect law enforcement has instead come under fire from people who think he's trying to ban hoodies in Oklahoma.

Republican Sen. Don Barrington of Lawton says his office has been flooded with calls and emails since stories began circulating on social media about a bill he introduced ahead of the upcoming legislative session.

Barrington's bill doesn't mention hoodies, but would make it illegal for someone to conceal his or her identity in public by using a "robe, mask, or other disguise." The language would amend a section of law originally targeting the Ku Klux Klan.

He says he was prompted in part by mask-wearing protesters who rallied at the Capitol in recent years and caused problems for security.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 07:38:47 pm »

I just don't see what the wadded up panties are all about over this. But Alex Jones seems to think so, because we have to have the "oh-so-original" Guy Fawkes mask wearing @-holes, or people wearing bandanas over their face as if they are robbing a train, at protests.

http://www.infowars.com/okla-lawmaker-proposes-hoodie-ban/

LOVE this post from the comments to the above article: "Thou shalt not hinder the surveillance state." Immediately thought of patric and Vashta....

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 02:06:24 pm »

Fine. Here's what legal professionals are saying:

This bill is an affront to fundamental rights, including the rights of of free speech and privacy. No one should worry about retaliation or retribution because they choose to attend a rally or a protest, which is precisely why the First Amendment protects anonymous speech in these instances. It is no less concerning that such a vague and overly-broad law would invite selective enforcement and over-policing of otherwise law-abiding people.

For lawmakers who campaign against Government overreach, voting against this bill would be a great way to practice what they preach.

Ryan Kiesel, ACLU

Here in Oklahoma, it has been illegal to use a hood, mask, or disguise for criminal conduct for over 90 years. This bill does nothing whatsoever to strengthen that law or to prevent or punish crime. Instead, this bill specifically targets only law-abiding individuals. Worse yet, the bill explicitly attempts to criminalize protected First Amendment rights. This bill would turn Oklahoma law enforcement into literally “the fashion police.” What it proposes is both unnecessary and unconstitutional. Instead of bringing criminals to justice, this bill is far more likely to land the State of Oklahoma in the courtroom.
Brady Henderson, ACLU

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 03:57:46 pm »

Now I know for sure... I HAVE to get a Guy Fawkes mask!!  If nothing else, so guido will know me walking down the street....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org