A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:01:28 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Castro in the White House and North Korea Running Hollywood  (Read 8609 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: December 19, 2014, 07:12:23 am »

It's going to be an amazing end to an unbelievable year!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:03:43 am »

Seth Rogen is scared......

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 11:53:04 am »

Seth Rogen is sitting around smoking a big Bob Marley trying to figure out what his next "one foot based in reality" movie he's going to be part of, and is Sony going to green light, and fund it for him.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:56:24 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:14:30 pm »

George RR Martin (Game of Thones) had a great quote on this:

"There are thousands of small independent theaters across the country, like my own, that would gladly screen THE INTERVIEW, regardless of the threats from North Korea, but instead of shifting the film to those venues, Sony has cancelled its scheduled Christmas rollout entirely."

"The level of corporate cowardice here astonishes me.  It's a good thing these guys weren't around when Charlie Chaplin made THE GREAT DICTATOR.  If Kim Jong-Un scares them, Adolf Hitler would have had them shitting in their smallclothes."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/george-rr-martin-slams-sony-canceling-the-interview-2014-12#ixzz3MMtyMXEn

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:21:00 pm »

Willing to bet Rogen is just angry.  

Sony is scared because they very likely know that what was released was quite mild compared to what could be released. Actors and other entertainment folks rely on ego as the foundation of their personalities.  The cruel words of executives at Sony towards actors, writers, or the union could essentially put them out of business for good.  Hollywood companies like Sony have also been very successful at puppeting Washington lately, and there is likely quite a bit of communications that could be damaging politically as well.

I think we might see a huge attempt from everyone BUT the actors to sweep this whole thing under the carpet. We'll see.  The president is scheduled to have a quick press conference about it today, and then jet off to Hawaii earlier than previously scheduled for his annual $7 million dollar Christmas vacation.  A lot on the agenda for the next couple of weeks:

- Golf at the Kaneohe Klipper golf course
   - Golf at the Mid-Pacific Country Club
   - Golf at the Ko'olau Golf Club
   - Golf at the Royal Hawaiian Golf Club
   - Dinner at Alan Wong's Restaurant
   - Dinner at Nobu Waikiki
   - Dinner at Morimoto Waikiki
   - Visit Punchbowl Cemetery
   - Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay
   - Christmas Day: Visit service members at Anderson Hall
   - New Year's Eve: Traditional talent show at home
   - Bowling at K-Bay Lanes at MCBH
   - Basketball at MCBH
   - Swim at Pyramid Rock Beach
   - Swim at Bellows Beach
   - Shave Ice at Island Snow in Kailua
   - Hike the Maunawili Falls trail
   - 10 minute national security briefing

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 12:34:23 pm »

I think we might see a huge attempt from everyone BUT the actors to sweep this whole thing under the carpet. We'll see.  The president is scheduled to have a quick press conference about it today, and then jet off to Hawaii

So that's why you started a thread.  You needed a reason to bring up Hawaii again.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 12:45:39 pm »

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:07 pm »

So that's why you started a thread.  You needed a reason to bring up Hawaii again.

Cheesy No, at this point the smile just writes itself.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »

Cheesy No, at this point the smile just writes itself.

I'm continually amused that you  begrudge the President a vacation. 

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:27:39 pm »

To the state where he is from.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 01:28:27 pm »

Let's remember who it is we're opining about here.  The great "blue fonted one"

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 01:44:37 pm »

I'm astonished that a thread that began with Sony caving to NK hackers has so quickly devolved into whining about Obama (again). Astonished.

Next thing you know, there will be insinuations that he was somehow complicit in this since he's been known to watch movies, after all. Come to think of it, they probably showed movies in Benghazi too, so there has to be some kind of connection.

Astonished.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 01:47:01 pm »

I'm astonished that a thread that began with Sony caving to NK hackers has so quickly devolved into whining about Obama (again). Astonished.

Next thing you know, there will be insinuations that he was somehow complicit in this since he's been known to watch movies, after all. Come to think of it, they probably showed movies in Benghazi too, so there has to be some kind of connection.

Astonished.

This is the Tulsa Now Forum.  Embrace the crazy.

'Cause we're gonna give you some.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 02:08:36 pm »

Strange day indeed when I agree with Sean Penn.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/12/sean-penn-reaction-sony-north-korea

It's not the first time culture has been threatened by foreign interests and corporate caution. See [then Disney CEO] Michael Eisner's interview with Charlie Rose in 1997, when Disney was dealing with pressure from China about Martin Scorcese's Tibet film, Kundun. Eisner said, "we do not take, as a company, a position either in human rights or not in human rights. We are a movie company. We're an entertainment company." That was a pretty shocking statement. (Disney, which was looking to expand its ventures in China, did end up distributing the film, but distribution was limited and the advertising budget was low—and despite these concessions, Disney was largely frozen out of the Chinese markets for years.) This week, the distributors who wouldn't show The Interview and Sony have sent ISIS a commanding invitation. I believe ISIS will accept the invitation. Pandora's box is officially open.

The damage we do to ourselves typically outweighs the harm caused by outside threats or actions. Then by caving to the outside threat, we make our nightmares real. The decision to pull The Interview is historic. It's a case of putting short term interests ahead of the long term. If we don't get the world on board to see that this is a game changer, if this hacking doesn't frighten the Chinese and the Russians, we're in for a very different world, a very different country, community, and a very different culture.

I'm not sure the world has come to terms with all the implications of the hacking. I was in Liberia and Sierra Leone right at the beginning of the Ebola outbreak in April. It did seem to those of us there that the response was neither coming swiftly or with a true sense of urgency. This feels the same. This matter should be before the UN Security Council today.

. . .Or after some golf.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 03:45:48 pm »

Embrace it, Ed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org