A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:27:45 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Tulsa" Jail  (Read 31136 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: December 08, 2014, 04:36:15 pm »

Now that this latest spat between the county and the city is getting wrapped up, Commissioner John Smaligo is stating that the rest of the county is subsidizing the city of Tulsa's use of this jail

http://www.ktul.com/story/27407737/tulsa-county-and-city-reach-jail-deal

http://www.tulsaworld.com/newshomepage2/jail-authority-gets-extra-time-to-repay-million-loan-so/article_ecbd1ae2-4b36-53bc-9144-5f88dc959c6f.html

It seems that Commissioner Smaligo doesn't remember or was not aware that Tulsans voted for this jail and its placement as a replacement for our city jail.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:27:27 pm »

Now that this latest spat between the county and the city is getting wrapped up, Commissioner John Smaligo is stating that the rest of the county is subsidizing the city of Tulsa's use of this jail

http://www.ktul.com/story/27407737/tulsa-county-and-city-reach-jail-deal

http://www.tulsaworld.com/newshomepage2/jail-authority-gets-extra-time-to-repay-million-loan-so/article_ecbd1ae2-4b36-53bc-9144-5f88dc959c6f.html

It seems that Commissioner Smaligo doesn't remember or was not aware that Tulsans voted for this jail and its placement as a replacement for our city jail.

Jog my memory... How much did Tulsa taxpayers pay to build it in the first place?     Sort of like the Trash-to-Energy plant, but, well...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:53:34 pm »

Should it not fund itself.....

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:27:51 am »

Jog my memory... How much did Tulsa taxpayers pay to build it in the first place?     Sort of like the Trash-to-Energy plant, but, well...

Construction was $70M paid by Tulsa County tax payers. Tulsa county has an estimated 622K residents and almost 400K of them live in the city of Tulsa. 
The property it was built on inside the IDL cannot be developed in the near future and its presence surpresses development of the surrounding buildings except to serve the jail (Bail bonds, other rehabilitation centers).

It's apparent to me that COT should not have given up our own jail in favor of this joint City/County venture. The county and the Sherriff are going to always accuse the city of not paying its fair share for city inmates.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:02:31 am »

Construction was $70M paid by Tulsa County tax payers. Tulsa county has an estimated 622K residents and almost 400K of them live in the city of Tulsa. 
The property it was built on inside the IDL cannot be developed in the near future and its presence surpresses development of the surrounding buildings except to serve the jail (Bail bonds, other rehabilitation centers).

It's apparent to me that COT should not have given up our own jail in favor of this joint City/County venture. The county and the Sherriff are going to always accuse the city of not paying its fair share for city inmates.

Far as I know, the old jail was Tulsa County as well since it was at the top of the county court house and it was staffed by TCSD.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:15:02 am »

Wasn't there a city holding area in the downtown police headquarters? 600 Civic Plaza?
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:55:26 am »

Yes. The city operated its own jail for those held on municipal charges. Those held on state charges were transferred to the county jail where they could stuff clothing in the toilets in order to flood the 7th Floor courtrooms. Fun.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:59:14 am »

Wasn't there a city holding area in the downtown police headquarters? 600 Civic Plaza?

News to me.  I have managed to avoid being taken into custody thus far.  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:04:15 pm »

Yes. The city operated its own jail for those held on municipal charges. Those held on state charges were transferred to the county jail where they could stuff clothing in the toilets in order to flood the 7th Floor courtrooms. Fun.

There was also the adult detention center on Charles Page and at one time in Horace Mann Junior High School building next to TCC.

DLMOSS was intended to replace city detention facilities.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 03:02:20 pm »

I should probably know this, but what distinguishes someone arrested and booked into the Tulsa County jail as a city inmate versus a county inmate?  While TPD arrests a lot of people, the majority of those folks are charged with crimes under state laws, are prosecuted by the Tulsa County DA’s office and are tried in the Tulsa County Courthouse.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »

In a lot of areas the county runs the jail as more or less a warehouse. The cities and suburbs have smaller jails at their police stations for processing, and then they transport those arrested to the county jail for further processing and storage.

I forgot to add that in most of these type set ups, when the person that is in custody gets to the county jail, they get processed further and usually have a bond hearing there to see if they can be released on bond or OOR the a pretrial release system.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:44:26 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 04:18:59 pm »

In a lot of areas the county runs the jail as more or less a warehouse. The cities and suburbs have smaller jails at their police stations for processing, and then they transport those arrested to the county jail for further processing and storage.

I forgot to add that in most of these type set ups, when the person that is in custody gets to the county jail, they get processed further and usually have a bond hearing there to see if they can be released on bond or OOR the a pretrial release system.

Don’t even ask why I went there, no idea:

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 04:55:22 pm »

Don’t even ask why I went there, no idea:

Because jails are just like the old grey mare, ain't what they used to be?
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 05:15:16 pm »

There are no municipal felonies in Oklahoma. Offenders arrested by the TPD for a misdemeanor will most frequently be charged in municipal court unless the applicable misdemeanor isn't a municipal offense. If arrested on a felony, they will be charged in state court if the DA approves. Any misdemeanors associated with the felony would also be filed in state court to "trail the felony."

Misdemeanors committed outside the corporate limits of a city or town are always charged in state court.

I should probably know this, but what distinguishes someone arrested and booked into the Tulsa County jail as a city inmate versus a county inmate?  While TPD arrests a lot of people, the majority of those folks are charged with crimes under state laws, are prosecuted by the Tulsa County DA’s office and are tried in the Tulsa County Courthouse.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 04:07:21 pm »

It's starting to look more likely that Tulsa will stop using MOSS as our municiple jail.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org