A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:44:00 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mmmm coffee....  (Read 4877 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: December 10, 2014, 07:43:58 am »

Topeca Coffee's Ethiopa FTO Worka was selected as one of the top ten coffees in the country. With Christmas coming up, I'll have to buy some. I'm the coffee-holic in the family so they usually give me a basket full of different types. Some are better than others and some are WAY better than others, but even a cup of bad coffee at 5AM is better than no coffee.

I tend toward the dark roasts like French and Italian, and despite the anti-s/bucks snobbery, I like their Guatemala Antigua coffee.

Does anyone have other coffees or coffee shops to recommend?

http://www.coffeereview.com/top-30-coffees-2014/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:46:15 am by Ed W » Logged

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 07:48:29 am »

I'm a big fan of the Mexican coffee that Whole Foods roast at their South Yale store.  It is lighter, so you may not like it, but I enjoy the chocolate flavors.

You also might check out Chimera on Main between Brady & Cameron.  They don't roast, but they bring in coffees from around the country.  They usually have a good Ethiopian bean in stock.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:58:34 am »

New Mexican Piñon coffee is a recent discovery for us.  We’ve had their dark roast and Mexican Chocolate thus far.

http://www.amazon.com/Piñon-Coffee-Adobe-Morning-Ground/dp/B00A02ZZIA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1418222994&sr=8-6&keywords=pinion+coffee

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:59:34 am »

Hodge's bend uses Topeca coffee straight from the roastery and their espresso blend is the best I've ever had. It has both depth and brightness but is not too citric. I wish they would package it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:15:00 am »

I don't do coffee, but have two family members who are pretty rabid about it - SWMBO and one other.  They both still like Seattle's Best for generic cup of coffee....  Not the same since Starbucks acquired and downgraded the brand, but not bad according to the drinkers.  We have visited the original Vashon Island roasterie a few times and they still make pretty amazing stuff.  Still run by Peter Larsen (SBC roastmaster) in the original roasterie building, using Jim Stewart's original roaster....at least it was the last time we were able to get there.  You can watch it all working if they happen to be roasting when there - it is a huge two story roaster set 8 feet down below the main floor in the basement, but still towers over ya on the main floor.

The Vashon Island Coffee Roasterie.

And they also make roast almonds that are at least in the top one of any I have ever had!!  Yum!

Plus it is just a nice place to visit.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 10:22:13 am »

Topeca Coffee's Ethiopa FTO Worka was selected as one of the top ten coffees in the country. With Christmas coming up, I'll have to buy some. I'm the coffee-holic in the family so they usually give me a basket full of different types. Some are better than others and some are WAY better than others, but even a cup of bad coffee at 5AM is better than no coffee.

I tend toward the dark roasts like French and Italian, and despite the anti-s/bucks snobbery, I like their Guatemala Antigua coffee.

Does anyone have other coffees or coffee shops to recommend?

http://www.coffeereview.com/top-30-coffees-2014/

I don't drink coffee since about 1987 but...
My mom likes the Tanzanian Peaberry (or something close to that) from Mecca Coffee.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:16:24 pm »

I've not had it but I've heard on NPR that this is a tasty brew:

BLACK IVORY COFFEE

http://www.blackivorycoffee.com/

It's harvested from Elephant poo
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 02:12:24 pm »

I've not had it but I've heard on NPR that this is a tasty brew:

BLACK IVORY COFFEE

http://www.blackivorycoffee.com/

It's harvested from Elephant poo

I want the stuff harvested from monkey poo.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 03:40:30 pm »

I want the stuff harvested from monkey poo.

Oh please, that's just puerile.

Obviously elephants make the best coffee.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 03:48:54 pm »

Oh please, that's just puerile.

Obviously elephants make the best coffee.

No, no...you're both wrong.  If most expensive means "best", then the Asian Palm Civet must run it through it's 'pipes' first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 04:14:13 pm »

No, no...you're both wrong.  If most expensive means "best", then the Asian Palm Civet must run it through it's 'pipes' first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Who do you suppose was the first person who thought it was a good idea to brew civet smile?

"Hey, check this out guys, not bad!"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org