A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:02:39 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Voting  (Read 12082 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« on: October 29, 2014, 01:58:50 am »

There is an initiative in Oregon to allow non Republican and Democrat voters to vote in primaries in the state elections, and it is hotly contested because it could create a general election of members of the same party, two Republicans or two Democrats running against each other, but it would at least give the Independent voters a voice in deciding candidates. It's Oregon Measure 90 and it seems to make sense to allow the voice of the independent in the decision of (my thought the lesser of two evils) leadership for the state.

What are the possibilities of something like this passing in Oklahoma? Would the voting public embrace a change like this?

There is a lot of info for either side, but I am leaning towards open elections. The reason is obvious.

So the question is, would a similar vote of the people pass in Oklahoma? A vote on the principal of the candidate instead of the party?

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS478US478&q=orgegon+measure+90#q=oregon+measure+90&spell=1

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:12:04 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 06:25:07 am »

There is a lot of info for either side, but I am leaning towards open elections. The reason is obvious.

I lean against open primaries.  I view it as somewhat like Ford Motor Company stock holders voting for the Board of Directors for General Motors.  Wrong group.  For the purposes of primary elections, join the group you find less/least objectionable and have a say in choosing the candidates that will be in the general election.  I don't believe it is that difficult to change parties.  You just need to make up your mind in time.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 06:34:49 am »

We need to get away from partisan politics whenever possible. My wife has been in two campaigns, one for school board and one for city council. Both of these jobs are truly non-partisan.

State and federal elections will be partisan for a long time, if for no other reasons that partisanship allows people to make very general assumptions about candidates they will never meet and the tremendous amount of jobs in both parties. Many people make a living only representing their party.

The better fix is to dilute the power of the two parties by adding a third or a fourth party. I don't see this happening soon, but the Tea party might if they continue to struggle winning elections to other republicans.

Power is nothing till you use it.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:25:15 am »

I lean against open primaries.  I view it as somewhat like Ford Motor Company stock holders voting for the Board of Directors for General Motors.  Wrong group.  For the purposes of primary elections, join the group you find less/least objectionable and have a say in choosing the candidates that will be in the general election.  I don't believe it is that difficult to change parties.  You just need to make up your mind in time.

My only issue with the current system is that we tend to end up (at least lately) with a more extreme version of candidate from each party.  I.e., the Dem will be more Liberal, and the GOP more conservative than the moderate version of either party.  If we allowed open elections, including primaries, we might see a more moderate candidate emerge that was more palatable to the general populace.

Also,  it would be really interesting to see the results of a ranked-voting election with instant runoff with no primaries.  In the 2012 election, for example,  John Huntsman had a lot of bipartisan support (including mine), but was so centrist that he couldn't get out of the GOP primaries.  In Ranked voting, he might have bubbled up with a lot of second-choice votes and won the whole thing.  The extremists on each end would not have been happy, but (and this is regardless of Obama's performance, etc) we would have had a much calmer political climate since then.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:50:12 am »

My only issue with the current system is that we tend to end up (at least lately) with a more extreme version of candidate from each party.  I.e., the Dem will be more Liberal, and the GOP more conservative than the moderate version of either party.  If we allowed open elections, including primaries, we might see a more moderate candidate emerge that was more palatable to the general populace.

Also,  it would be really interesting to see the results of a ranked-voting election with instant runoff with no primaries.  In the 2012 election, for example,  John Huntsman had a lot of bipartisan support (including mine), but was so centrist that he couldn't get out of the GOP primaries.  In Ranked voting, he might have bubbled up with a lot of second-choice votes and won the whole thing.  The extremists on each end would not have been happy, but (and this is regardless of Obama's performance, etc) we would have had a much calmer political climate since then.

Agreed.

My views are squarely Libertarian and I can’t stand the extremes of either of the two major parties.  We need moderation, not extremism in politics.  If candidates realized they would be accountable to all of their constituents throughout the election process, perhaps they would focus more on doing what is right rather than carrying water for the more extreme elements within their own party.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:42:41 am »

Party defines candidates but often wrong. Mitt Romney truly only cared about the wealthy, while Mike Huckabee had a history of caring for the poor.

Romney disgusted me, but Huckabee could have earned my vote.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:07:58 am »

There is an initiative in Oregon to allow non Republican and Democrat voters to vote in primaries in the state elections, and it is hotly contested because it could create a general election of members of the same party, two Republicans or two Democrats running against each other, but it would at least give the Independent voters a voice in deciding candidates. It's Oregon Measure 90 and it seems to make sense to allow the voice of the independent in the decision of (my thought the lesser of two evils) leadership for the state.

What are the possibilities of something like this passing in Oklahoma? Would the voting public embrace a change like this?

So the question is, would a similar vote of the people pass in Oklahoma? A vote on the principal of the candidate instead of the party?

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS478US478&q=orgegon+measure+90#q=oregon+measure+90&spell=1

No.  Can't happen here.

And one would only be interested in this if there were an interest in having something closer to a democracy....somewhere voters could actually have a say in elections.  Unlike the 'power brokered' system we have now where only the moneyed interests have a real shot at virtually every level.

Side note - a Constitutional Amendment would be required that deliberately defined corporations as not human beings.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:11:03 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:39:05 am »

Party defines candidates but often wrong. Mitt Romney truly only cared about the wealthy, while Mike Huckabee had a history of caring for the poor.
Romney disgusted me, but Huckabee could have earned my vote.

I believe your political preferences have incorrectly labeled Romney but that does not surprise me.  Not just you but almost any Democrat.  I can't stand listening to Huckabee and switch the channel.  He includes too much religion for me.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:41:35 am »

My only issue with the current system is that we tend to end up (at least lately) with a more extreme version of candidate from each party. 

Mostly because the moderates of both parties have left the party.  It may indeed be time for some new parties to evolve.  I can see both the extreme right and left going away but more likely the right since the left buys their way to office with government benefits to voters.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 12:23:09 pm »

the left buys their way to office with government benefits to voters.

Back at you with that whole political preferences incorrectly labeling people.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 02:47:49 pm »

Back at you with that whole political preferences incorrectly labeling people.

Nobody is immune. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 04:24:51 pm »

The right does it too...but instead of promising subsidies to the common people, they do it for big business...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 04:51:09 pm »

The right does it too...but instead of promising subsidies to the common people, they do it for big business...

Even though big business Corporations may be "people", there are a lot more individual real people that vote.  Most of them lean left toward the Democratic Party rather than right.  Guess which party is more likely to survive without moderates. (Hint: It's not the Republican Party)

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 05:14:49 pm »

Even though big business Corporations may be "people", there are a lot more individual real people that vote.  Most of them lean left toward the Democratic Party rather than right.  Guess which party is more likely to survive without moderates. (Hint: It's not the Republican Party)

But...

Corporations can pour money into politicians' coffers unlike how individuals do.  Agree?

And I'll concede obviously that BOTH parties work for big business interest.  It just seems that these days, one party is looking out almost exclusively for the interest of big business, and the other one puts on the guise that they are looking out for the individual, when the truth of the matter is that both parties get sucked in by corporations.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:18:20 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:11 pm »

Corporations can pour money into politicians' coffers unlike how individuals do.  Agree?

Individuals like me and I expect you, yes.  Individuals like Soros etc, probably close.  They may use a foundation or whatever as legal cover but the money is still there.  I believe one needs to include Unions as being tremendously influential in elections as well as Corporations.  To me, Unions are nothing more than huge Corporations anyway.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org