A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:43:51 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Controlled Multicopters  (Read 108764 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: October 02, 2014, 08:15:53 pm »

We have had a couple of discussions touch on RC multicopters or "personal drones,"
(http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=20672.0)
but with the interest some on TulsaNow have on the subject, I thought it deserved it's own thread.

For the uninitiated, here is an example of a remote-controlled copter: 

...which should not be confused with a UAV or "drone," shown below:

There are some important differences; size is the most obvious.
One is used to take stunning pictures where it would otherwise be impossible, the other is used to intercept phone calls and follow people.
One can photograph volcanoes or wildfires to assist researchers or rescuers, while the other can count the people sleeping in a bed or incinerate buildings.

You get the picture.

This thread is intended for the former, and the hobbyists/scientists/journalists/photography nuts who fly them. 
So without further adieu... something as cool as it is creepy... a wearable camera that flies:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfzqUsGMHE0#t=51[/youtube]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:43:15 pm »

I want one of each!  The helicopter and the drone!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:14 pm »

I want one of each!  The helicopter and the drone!!

I have an RTF - Ready To Fly - Quadcopter (Phantom 2 Vision) and I'm in the process of finalizing the parts to start building a hexacopter (6 rotors) based on a Tarot FY680 Pro frame.  The build starts this week.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 09:51:08 am »

They really are kewl but it must be remembered they are not toys.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 10:20:36 am »

Unlike you brain that you take out and play with frequently.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 02:44:48 pm »

Serious wow factor here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-shWVW1UBc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cICS9MtRRw[/youtube]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 03:35:10 pm »

They are not a Tonka truck but they are toys for most.  I usually describe my (full size) airplane as a "toy".  It's a very serious toy that must be respected but since I don't have a business use for it, I consider it a toy.

DJI Phantom is listed at less than $500 at Hobby Town.  That's do-able as a toy.  See Patric's post of the volcanos.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:51:44 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 05:15:26 pm »

They are not a Tonka truck but they are toys for most.  I usually describe my (full size) airplane as a "toy".  It's a very serious toy that must be respected but since I don't have a business use for it, I consider it a toy.

Until the FAA gets its head out of the clouds, they are toys.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 05:34:01 pm »

Until the FAA gets its head out of the clouds, they are toys.

Yes, and as long as RC Planes and Helicopters and model rockets to a certain size are classified as they are, so will the small drones. Otherwise you will have to change the classification for all of them, and hobbiest will not stand for it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 08:50:04 pm »

Yes, and as long as RC Planes and Helicopters and model rockets to a certain size are classified as they are, so will the small drones. Otherwise you will have to change the classification for all of them, and hobbiest will not stand for it.

I don't know how big "these" unmanned aircraft are but the operators have to file a Notice to Airmen to alert pilots of their operation.  The local model rocket club files a similar NOTAM about once a month when they are launching near Leonard.

This one is SE of Salina, KS and is probably associated with Kansas State University.
Kansas City Center (Olathe KS) [ZKC]: June NOTAM #81 issued by Columbia MO [COU]
Airspace unmanned aircraft WITHIN area DEFINED as 4NM RADIUS of 14 nautical miles southeast of Salina [SLN VOR] SFC - 1800FT daily daily 1300 - 2200 June 05th, 2014 at 08:00 AM CDT (1406051300) - November 01st, 2014 at 05:00 PM CDT (1411012200)

I didn't see it tonight but there is frequently a similar notice near Ponca City which may be associated with OSU.  I know they have a UAV program.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:08:05 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »

I don't know how big "these" unmanned aircraft are but the operators have to file a Notice to Airmen to alert pilots of their operation.  The local model rocket club files a similar NOTAM about once a month when they are launching near Leonard.

Kansas City Center (Olathe KS) [ZKC]: June NOTAM #81 issued by Columbia MO [COU]
Airspace unmanned aircraft WITHIN area DEFINED as 4NM RADIUS of 14 nautical miles southeast of Salina [SLN VOR] SFC - 1800FT daily daily 1300 - 2200 June 05th, 2014 at 08:00 AM CDT (1406051300) - November 01st, 2014 at 05:00 PM CDT (1411012200)

Thanks for the info, was not completely aware of the regs. Most of the "drones" that I have seen are 14 to 16 inches across, maybe 20, and
 the are ones capable of carrying a GoPro sized camera.

My RC plane reference was to something similar to what they fly out at the gluedobber field.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:58:38 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 09:13:12 pm »

My RC plane reference was to something similar to what they fly out at the gluedobber field.

I don't know specific restrictions on RC planes but I doubt many of them intentionally go to 1800 ft above the surface.  

The model rocket club launches stuff a lot bigger than your average Estes Model Rocket. I don't know what permits they are required to obtain.  I think their airspace notice usually goes to 10,000 ft. Next time I see it, I'll try to remember to post it here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:17:12 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 11:58:19 pm »

I don't know specific restrictions on RC planes but I doubt many of them intentionally go to 1800 ft above the surface.  

The model rocket club launches stuff a lot bigger than your average Estes Model Rocket. I don't know what permits they are required to obtain.  I think their airspace notice usually goes to 10,000 ft. Next time I see it, I'll try to remember to post it here.

We try to stay within the AMA guidelines as far as altitude goes (400 feet above AGL and try not to operate within 3NM of a Class D or higher airspace).  I am an AMA member like my dad before me.  They have insurance for accidents which helps.  However most *responsible* hobbyists won't fly their devices in crowded areas unless they've been contracted to do so (and technically right now is illegal until the FAA rules later this year on it).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 12:03:41 am »

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/airliner-had-near-miss-with-drone-did-it-belong-to-usa-1574818013

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 12:27:59 am »

This is an area where I think technology and ease of use has surpassed the previous generations of RC aircraft. And while serious RC pilots know the rules and regulations, it's now reasonably cheap to buy a multi-rotor aircraft, attach a camera with a down link, and fly it anywhere within the range of the controller. For around $1000.00 I can get one and film from it and fly it at high altitudes, I guess 2000' is a piece of cake for some models. But to me the issue is you have people unfamiliar with the regulations and rules, or just don't care, that will use them in areas they shouldn't. I'm not paranoid about it, but there are safety issues, and maybe some common sense, although I think that part escapes a lot of people.

So how do you regulate something like this?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org