A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 07:36:35 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad  (Read 12970 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: September 26, 2014, 09:46:49 am »

My boss has said that his iPad has been rendered useless. The new update released for it has made it extremely slow loading any of the apps. I'm sure that a few of you own the devise. And I was wondering if it is happening to yours? I haven't seen anything online other than the ios 8 software update for the new iPhone being a major problem. Along with the bending of the plus unit.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 09:50:28 am »

My boss has said that his iPad has been rendered useless. The new update released for it has made it extremely slow loading any of the apps. I'm sure that a few of you own the devise. And I was wondering if it is happening to yours? I haven't seen anything online other than the ios 8 software update for the new iPhone being a major problem. Along with the bending of the plus unit.

My past experience on iOS updates for the phone has been it slows it down to the point you just relent and buy the next generation phone.  Certainly that’s not by design or anything  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:52:05 am »

I have a 3rd generation iPad.  I haven't noticed anything different, as far as speed goes, since I did the update to iOS 8.  So far, I haven't found anything with a "Wow Factor" included in the update either.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:54:34 am »

We have three ipads (one cellular 3rd gen, one wifi 3rd gen and one 4th gen) and an ipad retina mini, no issues with any of them. No issues with the phones either, but I didn't attempt 8.0.1.

I actually installed 8.0 gold master about three weeks ago on my personal devices when it was first available before the general release. I'm also already running Yosemite Beta on my Macbook with no issues.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:55:45 am »

I have a 3rd generation iPad.  I haven't noticed anything different, as far as speed goes, since I did the update to iOS 8.  So far, I haven't found anything with a "Wow Factor" included in the update either.

Hand off is cool, I like it a lot.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 10:16:20 am »

Get an Android.  Problem solved.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 10:42:05 am »

Hand off is cool, I like it a lot.

It does look like it will be pretty nice.  My iMac is giving me problems, at the moment.  Hopefully, I will be able to get Yosemite to run on it.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 10:48:59 am »

We have iPads from every generation here at the office as well as just about every android device available (we need them for testing).  So far the new update hasn't had any negative effect on our iPads or iPhones.

I would have to agree though, that Android is a far better business platform, but iOS is great for older users who aren't as tech-savy. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 10:51:40 am »

Grin

Why, because then you never get software updates?

I prefer to be my OS provider's customer and not their product anyway.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:57:04 am »

We have iPads from every generation here at the office as well as just about every android device available (we need them for testing).  So far the new update hasn't had any negative effect on our iPads or iPhones.

I would have to agree though, that Android is a far better business platform, but iOS is great for older users who aren't as tech-savy.  

Funny, I work for a software company and nearly every single developer, DBA and engineer we have carries an iPhone. The people in customer care seem to all have huge Samsungs, but not the real technical people. Almost all the web developers and graphic designers work on Macs as well. There are lots of iPads here too but outside of the QA devices I have never seen an Android tablet in use in the office.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 11:41:17 am »

Grin

He went and bought the LG G pad and is going to give it a 15 day free trial. His plan all along was to use his LG G3 phone for three months and send it back after the iPhone 6 release. And now he is saying that he may just keep the LG depending on how well this tablet works out. He's kind of a Techno nut.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 12:55:22 pm »

Funny, I work for a software company and nearly every single developer, DBA and engineer we have carries an iPhone. The people in customer care seem to all have huge Samsungs, but not the real technical people. Almost all the web developers and graphic designers work on Macs as well. There are lots of iPads here too but outside of the QA devices I have never seen an Android tablet in use in the office.

From the user side iOS is awesome!  Carried one for years.  Use a MacBook pro myself (handles large graphic files better). When you start to get into real business applications ERP, CRM, and MRP, it becomes very expensive and difficult to use anything but Android as an OS.  Porting enterprise level applications to iOS sucks, and from a hardware side they are much more expensive and harder to manage on the network.  It's kinda what we do, but then again we are "idiots."

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 01:03:46 pm »

We have iPads from every generation here at the office as well as just about every android device available (we need them for testing).  So far the new update hasn't had any negative effect on our iPads or iPhones.

Something we agree on!  Finally.   Wink

However, I have rooted both of the Android devices *that I own*.  Company provides me with a Galaxy S5, my personal phone is a Nexus 5 and I have a Nexus 10 tablet.

I tell people the iPhones are the "Smart Phone for Dummies".   Tongue

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 01:07:54 pm »

Why, because then you never get software updates?

I prefer to be my OS provider's customer and not their product anyway.

If you buy straight Android (read that as Google's Nexus line, which I do) then yes..you get updates when Google pushes them.  And the carriers have gotten better at getting their devices updated quickly, depending on hardware compatibility.

I don't like not having the ability to browse my phone like a device when I want to.  Why I won't ever own another Apple product.  I had to carry one for work the first two years I worked there, but now we have a choice.  Where I work, if you carry an iPhone, you can't upgrade except every two years.  With the Android devices, it's every year.  Which is why in August I had them order me an S5.  But to each their own.

Plus remember, Apple is the company that tried to say 'who would want a phone with a screen larger than 4 inches'.  And then when proven wrong, they go out and produce one with a 5.5 inch screen.  About two years too late.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:09:43 pm by Hoss » Logged

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 01:22:18 pm »

Something we agree on!  Finally.   Wink

However, I have rooted both of the Android devices *that I own*.  Company provides me with a Galaxy S5, my personal phone is a Nexus 5 and I have a Nexus 10 tablet.

I tell people the iPhones are the "Smart Phone for Dummies".   Tongue

I'm a CyanogenMod fan myself. HTC ONE now but came from Samsung S4. Also have Nexus 10, lots of iPads (mostly kids toys now), and a bunch of various Motorola tablets and phones that I was sent for testing (the Motorola Max is nice, wife uses it).  The older ones I have rooted to through Cyanogen but most of the newer stuff has moved right up to Kit Kat, so I keep it stock.

The carriers are getting away from the bloatware, in leu of devices that use the native Google launcher, or at least offer the option to choose (like my HTC).

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org