A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:47:36 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Synergy Between ISIS and Tulsa Public Schools  (Read 6187 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: September 17, 2014, 02:14:46 pm »

I know, probably just a coincidence.

ISIS bans math, social studies for children

Tulsa Public Schools get 49 Fs from the Okla. State Board of Education

Jenks wasn't a part of this, but after pulling the kids out and putting them in private school, it became very apparent how far they were behind. For my daughter, we've basically had to un-teach much of the math and get her back on track with a normal understanding of multiplication and division.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 03:00:48 pm »

I know, probably just a coincidence.

ISIS bans math, social studies for children

Tulsa Public Schools get 49 Fs from the Okla. State Board of Education

Jenks wasn't a part of this, but after pulling the kids out and putting them in private school, it became very apparent how far they were behind. For my daughter, we've basically had to un-teach much of the math and get her back on track with a normal understanding of multiplication and division.

This is just seriously untrue. Jenks is not behind on math, in fact it’s generally very advanced.

All Jenks students that are capable are advanced one year higher in math than is normal, meaning basically all students take pre-Algebra in 7th grade and Algebra I or higher in 8th grade instead of 9th grade, and they push lots of kids faster than that. Any student that is ready will moved up, as far as they are capable of.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:07:42 pm »

This is just seriously untrue. Jenks is not behind on math, in fact it’s generally very advanced.

All Jenks students that are capable are advanced one year higher in math than is normal, meaning basically all students take pre-Algebra in 7th grade and Algebra I or higher in 8th grade instead of 9th grade, and they push lots of kids faster than that. Any student that is ready will moved up, as far as they are capable of.

My daughter had just finished 3rd grade and ended up about a year behind what they were teaching at St. Mary's.  The methods she was taught were also not the same. I'm sure that Jenks is on par, or even advanced compared to Tulsa Public.  I think the point would be that "normal" in Oklahoma, seems to be behind what is taught in other schools.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 03:34:51 pm »

My daughter had just finished 3rd grade and ended up about a year behind what they were teaching at St. Mary's.  The methods she was taught were also not the same. I'm sure that Jenks is on par, or even advanced compared to Tulsa Public.  I think the point would be that "normal" in Oklahoma, seems to be behind what is taught in other schools.

You are making the assumption that because you are paying for it, that St Mary's is the "right" method.

You had some crappy teachers last year, but if your child scored well on the 3rd grade math tests last year then she wasn't "behind"
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:35:08 pm »

I think maybe you needed to the methods Jenks uses time.

My daughter just graduated from Jenks and took high school Geometry in 8th grade and doesn’t have to take math in college unless she wants to because she took AP Calc BC as a junior and Calculus III/Differential Equations as a senior at Jenks.

My son is in 8th grade and is actually a year ahead of what she did, he’s in Algebra II in 8th grade and is on track to take AP Calc as a Sophomore. Jenks offers Linear Algebra/Advanced Differential Equations for kids that need a math class beyond Calc III/Diff EQ. This summer my son did an physics/engineering program with Duke TIP for gifted kids. As part of the program they studied some trig and the only student in the class that was as advanced in math coming in as my son was another student from Jenks. All of the kids in this class had to take the ACT or SAT and score better than the 50th percentile in math for high school seniors just to be there. Most of those kids were not from public schools and the two from Jenks were the only ones from Oklahoma.

Starting with my son’s age now there is a class of kids a year ahead where he is. This group is taking PreAP Pre-Calc as 8th grade students. Jenks doesn’t yet have a 12th grade math class in place for those kids, but they are working on it. Jenks has years of college level advanced math classes beyond AP Calc BC and is adding more. I checked and Cascia and Bishop Kelly do not any.

Jenks will give you all the math you can handle.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 03:48:51 pm »

My daughter just graduated from Jenks and took high school Geometry in 8th grade and doesn’t have to take math in college unless she wants to because she took AP Calc BC as a junior and Calculus III/Differential Equations as a senior at Jenks.

My son is in 8th grade and is actually a year ahead of what she did, he’s in Algebra II in 8th grade and is on track to take AP Calc as a Sophomore. Jenks offers Linear Algebra/Advanced Differential Equations for kids that need a math class beyond Calc III/Diff EQ. This summer my son did an physics/engineering program with Duke TIP for gifted kids. As part of the program they studied some trig and the only student in the class that was as advanced in math coming in as my son was another student from Jenks. All of the kids in this class had to take the ACT or SAT and score better than the 50th percentile in math for high school seniors just to be there. Most of those kids were not from public schools and the two from Jenks were the only ones from Oklahoma.

Starting with my son’s age now there is a class of kids a year ahead where he is. This group is taking PreAP Pre-Calc as 8th grade students. Jenks doesn’t yet have a 12th grade math class in place for those kids, but they are working on it. Jenks has years of college level advanced math classes beyond AP Calc BC and is adding more. I checked and Cascia and Bishop Kelly do not any.

I graduated from Jenks and did quite well myself. I am just relating our experience so far. Sorry to offend.
It seems that Oklahoma (Tulsa in particular) has some public school issues that cannot be ignored.
Our experience may be completely isolated, but exists none the less.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:06:10 am »

I started with what would now be called "pre-algebra" in 4th and 5th grades (Iowa).  Then moved back to OK and had Algebra I in 7th - a lot of repeat of 5th grade.  So Jenks has slipped at least 1 full grade level behind in 50 years!!

And mumblety peg!!  Played lots of that when a kid...but it must be barefoot or it doesn't count!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblety-peg

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:10:08 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 01:18:27 pm »

I have to mirror Swake's comments.  

My youngest (as did I and her two siblings) graduated from Jenks with her this past year.  Due to test scores and mathematics level she was highly recruited both in and out of state.  Today she is a freshman in the state working hard towards dual-majors in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering with dual-minors in Spanish and Professional Pilot.

Mathematics wise, after some arguing she started the university at Calc. 3 after ending with AP-Calc. B/C DifE at Jenks but the amazing part is getting her in that class at took some pushing, not because it was full but because the advisors at her fine university refused to believe where she was despite the recruitment discussions and actually said well it’s because we just don't see freshmen coming in that can make it if we start them above College Algebra, but hey she came in with 42+ AP and TCC hours and local placement test topping math scores (thank you Jenks and to her for a lot of hard work) so I really have to commend what Jenks can and does provide, does it fit all nope in fact she got a late start into higher level math, but it’s darn good in my opinion.

I can't complain about Jenks, all my kids are doing quite well with a public education from there and also gained what I believe is missing at many schools which is a strong since of community pride, you know "Jenks, it's a Trojan thing!"  That said I do think we can agree that much of public education in Oklahoma needs improvement but here’s a thought, why not listen to the schools that really do it well and work to bring everything else up to that standard and then let’s keep going.

Kirby

Ps.  So,  Swake I'm guessing our kids know each other...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:29:22 pm by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 01:54:04 pm »

I have to mirror Swake's comments.  

My youngest (as did I and her two siblings) graduated from Jenks with her this past year.  Due to test scores and mathematics level she was highly recruited both in and out of state.  Today she is a freshman in the state working hard towards dual-majors in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering with dual-minors in Spanish and Professional Pilot.

Mathematics wise, after some arguing she started the university at Calc. 3 after ending with AP-Calc. B/C DifE at Jenks but the amazing part is getting her in that class at took some pushing, not because it was full but because the advisors at her fine university refused to believe where she was despite the recruitment discussions and actually said well it’s because we just don't see freshmen coming in that can make it if we start them above College Algebra, but hey she came in with 42+ AP and TCC hours and local placement test topping math scores (thank you Jenks and to her for a lot of hard work) so I really have to commend what Jenks can and does provide, does it fit all nope in fact she got a late start into higher level math, but it’s darn good in my opinion.

I can't complain about Jenks, all my kids are doing quite well with a public education from there and also gained what I believe is missing at many schools which is a strong since of community pride, you know "Jenks, it's a Trojan thing!"  That said I do think we can agree that much of public education in Oklahoma needs improvement but here’s a thought, why not listen to the schools that really do it well and work to bring everything else up to that standard and then let’s keep going.

Kirby

Ps.  So,  Swake I'm guessing our kids know each other...

Um, yeah. I'm Julia's dad, she and your daughter have known each other for many years. They just finished Girl Scouts together. In fact, my daughter finished her gold award the week before we took her to school.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 04:16:09 pm »

the advisors at her fine university refused to believe where she was despite the recruitment discussions and actually said well it’s because we just don't see freshmen coming in that can make it if we start them above College Algebra,

That surprises me for an Engineering major.  I started with Calc I as a college freshman way back when dirt was still rocks. I had some "advanced" math in High School but no where as much as your daughter.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 04:27:33 pm »

I can't complain about Jenks,

But are the football players proud of the math team?

Power is nothing till you use it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 05:11:34 pm »

But are the football players proud of the math team?

My son is on the football team.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 07:45:42 pm »

My son is on the football team.

Awesome. Is he a freshman?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 08:00:20 pm »

Awesome. Is he a freshman?

No, he's on the 8th grade team.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 08:29:49 pm »

I have a tenth grader playing football at Booker T. Washington.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org