A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:00:21 pm
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TULSA'S WATER GOES DOWN THE DRAIN!  (Read 94228 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2014, 12:32:42 pm »

Lots of alarmist propaganda going around the entire nation about chlorine, chloramines, fluoride, etc.

I still haven't heard even one single rational thought on how to do it differently than as is done now to avoid the health issues that treatment eliminates.  None.  And I worked in that industry for a decade and was listening carefully to everyone who had input.  Well, that was several decades ago, and there still is no viable input on alternatives.

Just sayin'....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2014, 01:19:08 pm »

Then what are the differences?  Tulsa evidently flushes the dead end pipes but I would consider that maintenance rather than treatment.

Allowing the water to sit motionless in the pipes allows the bacteria-killing chlorines to dissipate, and that's exactly what investigators said happened in Louisiana.

"We designed our system where it's looped, and that means there are no long, dead-end lines. I'm assuming in these small rural areas that is the problem they have, is they have long lines, with not a lot of customers using it, so the water doesn't get turned over often enough,” said Roy Foster with the City of Tulsa.

In fact, chlorine tests in the Louisiana tap water revealed very low levels of disinfectants, less than 0.5 parts per million, meaning those pipes should have been flushed regularly to keep the water safe.

The results show Tulsa's water had four times the amount of disinfectants in its water than the water in Louisiana, an average of 2 parts per million, meeting state regulations.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »

The problem with the story is IF you have an intact system - which they don't, since contamination is entering after the treatment point - you would NOT have the mechanism needed to contaminate the water sitting in a dead end.  If a bucket of water got to the dead end and just sat there, with it's chemical levels going down to 0, which they do, then the water will continue to just sit there with no source of "seed" bacteria or amoeba to cause the problem!  

Fix the leaks, LA!  They are at the same point WE were in the 70's under Water Non-Commissioner John Thomas - before Patty Eaton was elected.

And yeah, we still have leaks, too, but not to the apparent scale of LA and our own past.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2014, 04:07:07 pm »

Allowing the water to sit motionless in the pipes allows the bacteria-killing chlorines to dissipate, and that's exactly what investigators said happened in Louisiana.

"We designed our system where it's looped, and that means there are no long, dead-end lines. I'm assuming in these small rural areas that is the problem they have, is they have long lines, with not a lot of customers using it, so the water doesn't get turned over often enough,” said Roy Foster with the City of Tulsa.

In fact, chlorine tests in the Louisiana tap water revealed very low levels of disinfectants, less than 0.5 parts per million, meaning those pipes should have been flushed regularly to keep the water safe.

The results show Tulsa's water had four times the amount of disinfectants in its water than the water in Louisiana, an average of 2 parts per million, meeting state regulations.

I went to the link and read the info before responding to your post.

It looks like the treatment is probably the same.  Handling the water after the treatment is (hopefully) better in Tulsa.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:09:13 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org