A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:53:25 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the 71st and Sheridan Reasor's is horrible.  (Read 19212 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: September 12, 2014, 09:40:07 am »

Let me preface this by saying I like Reasor's as a brand. I think their new stores in Jenks and Bixby are amazing. I also believe that their 71st and Sheridan location is the opposite of amazing, which is why I started this thread.

Others on here have mentioned complaints with this store, so I thought I'd see if we could compile them and maybe, just maybe, figure out what would fix it.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:40:59 am »

Issues I have had are:
- This location was not built as a Reasor's, it was bought and relabeled. The traffic flow and layout is basically the same as "Price Mart" was and you don't here anyone saying "dang, I miss Price Mart"
- The majority of traffic enters/exit at Sheridan which comes up a ramp to a blind corner where traffic entering and exiting narrowly passes each other in ways that would make stock car drivers flinch. This area is further narrowed by the food pickup area and pharmacy lane which are also at the top of the hill.
- Most Reasor's locations separate the entrance and checkouts on opposite sides of the store. This store has both in the same place which makes traffic flow difficult.
- There is a chuck of the store that used to be a video store, they walled it off and seem to have no interest in using that area to improve the store.
- Because of the layout, you basically have to shimmy through a maze of narrow aisles all the way to the back of the store before you can actually start navigating.
- Speaking of aisles, the majority of the areas that you go through to get to the back of the store, like produce and the meat counter, are only one cart wide. If someone is getting hoagie rolls and another person is some filets, then I hope you brought a lawn chair because you aren't going anywhere for awhile.
- Speaking of meat, the meats I have bought here have very short shelf life. Ground beef and cube steak will last 2-3 days, roast will get you maybe 3 or 4. The idea of buying groceries for a week is out. My neighbor has also complained to me about this. I expect meat to be good for several days past the "sell before" date, not expire on that date. I have switched to target because I get a more reliable lifespan of out their factory-made robot meat.
- I. Can't. Find. Anything. Tortillas from one brand are here, the others are on the other side of the store. Snack cakes? 4 different areas of the store. Jalapeños? Well, some are with salad and some are with mexican food, depending on brand not type. Kleenex? Took me 15 minutes to find it not in paper goods, or household, but in the pharmacy next to cold medicine.
- Staff seems to be the people who couldn't cut it at the other stores. I was 7th in line for the express lane yesterday (other lines were just as bad) with a cashier who must love checking people out, because he was taking his time with it. He called a manager over who helped him with a price, the manager looked at our line and then left to go chat with 3 other cashiers instead of opening more lanes. Another 10 minutes later, someone who I believe was also management finally walked over to a lane, gave the universal "I don't want to be here" body language, then mumbled "nxt un ligh"

So, here are some ideas I've had:
- Rework the entrance/exit. The bank and deli counters can be adjusted to allow ingress/egress to be separated.
- Realign the produce or floral section so people coming in can access the main E-W aisle, or a N-S aisle, without going to the back or squeaking by the coke aisle.
- Relocate the drive through to the old video area. Create a median and traffic flow so people coming up and down the ramp don't end up head-on.
- Move express check out to other end of registers by the main E-W aisle, in front of customer service. Express backs up before other lanes and management needs a clear view of when they are getting busy.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 09:56:22 am »

Try the one at 101st and Elm in B.A. same thing, Just without the traffic issues. It's horrible.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 10:02:36 am »

Two purpose-built Reasor’s I know of have a single entrance and exit: 18th & Yale and 41st & Yale.  I believe Jenks also has a single entrance, looks like Sand Springs does as well.  Swake?

Any which have separate entrance and exits I’m aware of were re-purposed Albertson’s.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 10:16:00 am »

Two purpose-built Reasor’s I know of have a single entrance and exit: 18th & Yale and 41st & Yale.  I believe Jenks also has a single entrance, looks like Sand Springs does as well.  Swake?

The traffic splits once you go in the front door left or right, often separate doors once you pass the front doors.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 10:50:50 am »

The new stores have single entrance and exits, but they are split right and left and are not an issue. The aisles are wide and the layout seems fine. The Jenks and Bixby locations are almost identical. Sapulpa and Sand Springs are similar but a little smaller. I am not as familiar with the Sheridan store because it’s always been a mess to me much like Grizzle says and I never go there. I also dislike the one at 41st and Yale.

We used to shop at the Super Targets a lot, but we do so less and less, they really seem to have gone downhill over the last couple of years. Now I just go to the little Target at Tulsa Hills for non food items and do about all the grocery shopping at Reasors.

It also just sounds like there are management issues with that location. The staff in Jenks is always very nice, sometimes that baggers seem to be kids working a bit harder on dates than bagging, but overall they are better and faster than Target and worlds better than Wal-Mart employees. I would contact the corporate offices.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 10:54:34 am »

The traffic splits once you go in the front door left or right, often separate doors once you pass the front doors.

Ahhh, I see.  41st & Yale has this split on the inner lobby.  18th and Yale does not.  You can veer off into produce, but there’s still registers pretty much right in front of you.

The old Albertsons locations at 15th & Lewis and 51st & Harvard had split entrance/exit as well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 11:17:55 am »

I like the 51st and Harvard store. Separate entrance and exit, wide aisles, and the manager lets me take college classes and citizen groups on environmental shopping tours through the store.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TeeDub
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 12:32:36 pm »

They are spending a bunch to remodel the one at 71st and Lynn Lane in Broken Arrow.   (Not sure how much of that is attributable to the Sprouts opening next door.)

Maybe yours is next?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 12:55:13 pm »

They are spending a bunch to remodel the one at 71st and Lynn Lane in Broken Arrow.   (Not sure how much of that is attributable to the Sprouts opening next door.)

Maybe yours is next?

They did a bunch of construction a year or two ago but that just added a bank and a pharmacy.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 12:55:38 pm »

The 71st & Sheridan store was just bought & re-labeled with little remodeling done as was mentioned most likely to cut corners and save money, so how it was before is what you get today, just like Harps & now the new Save On store... I'm not fan of any Tulsa area supermarket I shop the Wal-Mart Supercenters they are the best in prices and fresh food   since Wal-Mart  sells so much food it has no time to get old on the shelf. Tulsa area  supermarket's  are nothing like the supermarkets of other cities/states.. I dunno why Tulsa never got in any Kroger stores, or HyVee stores. I lived in 4 states and one of big drawbacks of Tulsa is poor supermarkets, Tulsa even has no "Food 4 Less" stores or "No Frills" food which are common in Omaha, Nebraska. The Midwestern states (like Indiana, Ohio & Michigan) have Meijer stores they are like a food supercenter store open 24/7 closed only on Christmas. The HyVee Supermarkets common in the upper Midwest along with Kroger stores have outstanding in-store bakeries. While on the subject of stores Tulsa also has no Mennards Lumberyard store all we have in Tulsa is Home Depot & Lowes.  Mennards is like a lumberyard supercenter store they market in the mid-west & upper Midwest. The Tulsa market lacks many good or popular retailors that other states have.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:00:08 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 12:57:57 pm »

The 71st & Sheridan store was just bought & re-labeled with little remodeling done as was mentioned most likely to cut corners and save money. I'm not fan of any Tulsa area supermarket I shop the Wal-Mart Supercenters. Tulsa area  supermarket's  are nothing like the supermarkets of other cities I dunno why Tulsa never got in any Kroger stores, or HyVee stores. I lived in 4 states and one of big drawbacks of Tulsa is poor supermarkets, Tulsa even has no "Food 4 Less" stores or "No Frills" food which are common in Omaha, Nebraska. The Midwestern states have Meijer stores they are like a food supercenter store open 24/7 closed only on Christmas. The HyVee Supermarkets common in the upper Midwest along with Kroger stores have outstanding in-store bakeries. While on the subject of stores Tulsa also has no Mennards Lumberyard store all we have in Tulsa is Home Depot & Lowes.  Mennards is like a lumberyard supercenter store they market in the mid-west & upper Midwest. The Tulsa market lacks many good or popular retailors that other states have.

"Food Pyramid" was actually a Kroger brand.

Aldi is a "no frills" chain which has several Tulsa locations.

Personally I want Publix, or Kroger, or both.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:06:20 pm »

"Food Pyramid" was actually a Kroger brand.

Aldi is a "no frills" chain which has several Tulsa locations.

Personally I want Publix, or Kroger, or both.
ALDI can't be a No Frills Supermarket market because in Omaha, Nebraska they have both, ALDI stores and large  No Frills supermarkets. In fact on one corner in Omaha (132nd street & Center street) there is a No Frills market on the SW corner and a ALDI store on the north east corner next to a Big Lots. Omaha also has a "Bag & Save" market that used to be Albertsons Foods before they closed up in Omaha. The supermarket selection here in Tulsa is poor. I never knew Food Pyramid was a Kroger brand they sure did not seem like it, anything but if ya ask me.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
rebound
City Father

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 01:39:45 pm »

ALDI can't be a No Frills Supermarket market because in Omaha, Nebraska they have both, ALDI stores and large  No Frills supermarkets. In fact on one corner in Omaha (132nd street & Center street) there is a No Frills market on the SW corner and a ALDI store on the north east corner next to a Big Lots. Omaha also has a "Bag & Save" market that used to be Albertsons Foods before they closed up in Omaha. The supermarket selection here in Tulsa is poor. I never knew Food Pyramid was a Kroger brand they sure did not seem like it, anything but if ya ask me.

TIL "No Frills" is the actual name of a supermarket...

nofrillssupermarkets.com

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 01:45:32 pm »

He’s making the point that Aldi is the same concept as "No Frills”.  So is Save-A-Lot same business model.  You bag your own stuff, meat is pre-packaged or frozen crap.

I really don’t have a problem with most Tulsa grocery stores.  I simply wish I could pick up a nice bottle of wine or six pack of good beer there instead of needing to make another stop at the liquor store.

Grizzle- As far as the 71st & Sheridan store, send the comments to Reasor’s HQ.  When they announced the closing of the 71st & Garnett store, they were anticipating the savings by closing that loser of a store could be used to improve other existing units.  Wasn’t the store they are closing another Albertson’s/smile Pyramid?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org