A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:13:03 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One less QT today  (Read 98940 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2014, 07:45:38 am »

That's gonna stay a closely held corporation - and the business plan is to make just enough to cover the costs for my bad habit (eating escargot).

Here's where it all starts, though, if you want a fun, relaxing, rewarding hobby in agriculture.  Gardening/farming is therapeutic and soothes the soul;

http://afsic.nal.usda.gov/grazing-systems-and-alternative-livestock-breeds/raising-alternative-livestock-breeds/snails

Even a small 4' x 8' bed is very easy to make and maintain (I can help you offline if interested) and gives you the opportunity for quiet time to commune with nature!  Very relaxing after a busy day at work.

Easy Saturday morning project for right around $100.  We already had extra dirt on hand from some raised hedge beds we took out:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2014, 08:30:34 am »

Easy Saturday morning project for right around $100.  We already had extra dirt on hand from some raised hedge beds we took out:

The latest ones I built like that - I used 10 ft long cedar for the corner posts, buried about 18" in ground.  That left 4 each, 8' poles for fencing, screening, tying off with twine, etc.  Very flexible.  Very nice gardens for a small space.  Easy to work from both sides, and I can dig it up, rake, and make ready to plant in under 30 minutes.  Planted green beans one time as the only thing in one and got almost a bushel of beans.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ben
Citizen

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2014, 09:39:58 am »

That left 4 each, 8' poles for fencing, screening, tying off with twine, etc.  Very flexible. 

I wish I had thought of that when I built a couple raised beds last season. Next time...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2014, 10:05:43 am »

I built one exactly that way last year. I am so bad with tools that it took six hours and then another four to fill it with dirt and compost.

Them tomatoes were worth it.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2014, 10:16:49 am »

The groups are getting their stories straight. Someone ain't tellin' the troof. Where were all the cell phone cameras?

http://news.yahoo.com/turmoil-tear-gas-way-hope-ferguson-053336976.html?soc_src=copy

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2014, 10:48:04 am »

The groups are getting their stories straight. Someone ain't tellin' the troof. Where were all the cell phone cameras?

http://news.yahoo.com/turmoil-tear-gas-way-hope-ferguson-053336976.html?soc_src=copy

I would be surprised if the video from the QuikTrip cameras weren't sitting on a remote server somewhere.
As for the deceased, demonizing the victim is an essential part of damage control.  Not that he could have been an angel, but taking ten rounds point blank still isnt justified.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2014, 11:22:19 am »

Not that he could have been an angel, but taking ten rounds point blank still isnt justified.

Unless he was sent to kill Sarah Connor.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2014, 11:58:43 am »

Now hell is about to freeze over:  

Missouri Unrest Prompts Some GOP to Advocate for Police Restraint
The images of camouflage-clad police wielding high-powered rifles that have poured in from Ferguson, Missouri this week have prompted some Republicans, a party that has traditionally championed “tough on crime” policies, to speak out about the need for restraint from law enforcement.

House Democrat Readies Bill To Demilitarize Local Police
WASHINGTON -- Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) announced Thursday that he plans to file legislation aimed at stemming the militarization of local police -- something on full display this week in Ferguson, Missouri, where officers in riot gear have been showering largely peaceful protesters with tear gas and rubber bullets.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky, rivers and seas boiling, dogs and cats living together...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:01:45 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2014, 01:38:57 pm »

I would be surprised if the video from the QuikTrip cameras weren't sitting on a remote server somewhere.
As for the deceased, demonizing the victim is an essential part of damage control.  Not that he could have been an angel, but taking ten rounds point blank still isnt justified.

I call it the "trayvonning" of the victim. But the store video was not helpful. Still, I cautioned everyone to calm down and wait. Look what that got me.  Roll Eyes I do wonder if that video was held back to "set up" (for the sake of a better expression) all the out-of-towners coming in like Sharpton.  

edited to add that the recent word is that the guy in the video is not Brown. Just saying.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:41:03 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »

I wish I had thought of that when I built a couple raised beds last season. Next time...

Retrofit.

Can add them next to the existing corners, too.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »

I built one exactly that way last year. I am so bad with tools that it took six hours and then another four to fill it with dirt and compost.

Them tomatoes were worth it.

One of the last beds I planted (none this year) was with a hominy corn called Hickory King.   It's the type they make CornNuts from.  Stalks from 10 - 12 feet tall.  Very impressive....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2014, 01:47:02 pm »

Now hell is about to freeze over:  

Missouri Unrest Prompts Some GOP to Advocate for Police Restraint
The images of camouflage-clad police wielding high-powered rifles that have poured in from Ferguson, Missouri this week have prompted some Republicans, a party that has traditionally championed “tough on crime” policies, to speak out about the need for restraint from law enforcement.

House Democrat Readies Bill To Demilitarize Local Police
WASHINGTON -- Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) announced Thursday that he plans to file legislation aimed at stemming the militarization of local police -- something on full display this week in Ferguson, Missouri, where officers in riot gear have been showering largely peaceful protesters with tear gas and rubber bullets.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky, rivers and seas boiling, dogs and cats living together...

I shudder.....

Must retreat to a quieter, more peaceful time.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGm_vWuzlig

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2014, 02:34:08 pm »

I call it the "trayvonning" of the victim. But the store video was not helpful. Still, I cautioned everyone to calm down and wait. Look what that got me.  Roll Eyes I do wonder if that video was held back to "set up" (for the sake of a better expression) all the out-of-towners coming in like Sharpton.  

edited to add that the recent word is that the guy in the video is not Brown. Just saying.

If it matters, I agree with you. Calmness is to be desired and yes, he is being Travonned. I found it curious that they led people to believe that the big guy in the video was Brown. Still he was an accomplice, so it was somewhat accurate, but not the whole truth. The dialogue of the officer wasn't that of a cop stopping a suspect, but of a bully disrespecting locals.

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2014, 03:18:10 pm »

Here's Allahpundit's take on it. He's a center-rightish blogger that is somewhat the civil libertarian. His thoughts are interesting.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/08/15/wait-a-sec-ferguson-police-chief-says-initial-contact-with-brown-wasnt-connected-to-robbery/

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2014, 03:58:36 pm »

Here is yet another change in the story from the PD.

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/ferguson-officer-stopped-michael-brown-for-walking-in-street-but/article_52c40b84-ad90-5f9a-973c-70d628d0be04.html?mobile_touch=true

My goodness.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org