A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:47:35 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New book about the Tulsa River  (Read 5429 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: September 29, 2014, 08:18:50 am »

My mother wrote it...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/books/new-book-tells-story-of-arkansas-river-development-in-tulsa/article_493160a1-2075-5f21-a3d7-2e7e6ff4c685.html

New book tells story of Arkansas River development in Tulsa

“The Tulsa River,” a new book that chronicles the influence of the Arkansas River on Tulsa’s history and its future, will officially be launched with an event 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Quik-Trip Pavilion in River Parks, 41st Street and Riverside Drive.
The event will feature appearances by former Tulsa mayors Robert J. LaFortune and Rodger Randle, who will also serve as master of ceremonies for the event.

The book’s author, Ann Patton, along with photographer Vernis Maxwell and the book’s editor, Tracy LeGrand, will be signing copies of the privately published, limited-edition book.

“‘The Tulsa River’ tells the story of our city’s struggle to live in harmony with our river, which lured mankind to this spot on earth, shaped our town, occasionally terrorized and often sustained us, and promises to gather our diverse peoples together,” Patton said. “We spent two years living with and learning about our river, and the more we learned, the more there was to explore and understand,” she said. “This book is, simply, a labor of love for our river and our community — and, frankly, an adventure, to do a coffee table-style book with no budget.”

The book describes how the Arkansas River has shaped Tulsa’s development, and it includes sections on such events as the Great Raft Races of the 1970s, the destruction caused by the floods of 1923 and 1986, and the various public art works installed throughout the River Parks. A large portion of the book is devoted to interviews with a wide range of Tulsans about ideas for how the river might be best utilized by the city in the future.

Copies of “The Tulsa River” are $24.95. The book will be available for purchase at the event, as well as online at tulsariver.net.

Power is nothing till you use it.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:19:47 am »

The newspaper story mentions interviews with Tulsans...

sgrizzle is one of them famous people...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:40:14 am »

My mother wrote it...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/books/new-book-tells-story-of-arkansas-river-development-in-tulsa/article_493160a1-2075-5f21-a3d7-2e7e6ff4c685.html

New book tells story of Arkansas River development in Tulsa

“The Tulsa River,” a new book that chronicles the influence of the Arkansas River on Tulsa’s history and its future, will officially be launched with an event 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Quik-Trip Pavilion in River Parks, 41st Street and Riverside Drive.
The event will feature appearances by former Tulsa mayors Robert J. LaFortune and Rodger Randle, who will also serve as master of ceremonies for the event.

The book’s author, Ann Patton, along with photographer Vernis Maxwell and the book’s editor, Tracy LeGrand, will be signing copies of the privately published, limited-edition book.

“‘The Tulsa River’ tells the story of our city’s struggle to live in harmony with our river, which lured mankind to this spot on earth, shaped our town, occasionally terrorized and often sustained us, and promises to gather our diverse peoples together,” Patton said. “We spent two years living with and learning about our river, and the more we learned, the more there was to explore and understand,” she said. “This book is, simply, a labor of love for our river and our community — and, frankly, an adventure, to do a coffee table-style book with no budget.”

The book describes how the Arkansas River has shaped Tulsa’s development, and it includes sections on such events as the Great Raft Races of the 1970s, the destruction caused by the floods of 1923 and 1986, and the various public art works installed throughout the River Parks. A large portion of the book is devoted to interviews with a wide range of Tulsans about ideas for how the river might be best utilized by the city in the future.

Copies of “The Tulsa River” are $24.95. The book will be available for purchase at the event, as well as online at tulsariver.net.

As in Sunday, Oct. 5? 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »

The event was yesterday. They had a pretty big crowd including three ex-mayors.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:31:05 pm »

Here is a link to her page and other books...

http://annpatton.net/the-tulsa-river/

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 05:06:34 pm »

Would definitely like to have some at DECOPOLIS if that is possible.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
rebound
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:42:14 pm »

Would definitely like to have some at DECOPOLIS if that is possible.

I'll buy one from you if you get them.  Wish I had known about the event beforehand.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:04:08 pm »

I'll buy one from you if you get them.  Wish I had known about the event beforehand.

Same here. I love Tulsa-centric books.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »

Books have been delivered to Decopolis. They are also available at Ida Red on Brookside.

If anyone knows any other great book stores for local authors, let me know.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 05:51:25 pm »

What is a book?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 05:58:03 pm »

What is a book?

Janet Baressi?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 06:09:36 pm »

What is a book?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:13:49 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 09:01:35 pm »

Too cute! Save a river book for me, please. Will be by this week to purchase it.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 07:44:57 am »

RM, I lived a few houses down down from your parents several years ago.  Always enjoyed buying flowers when the Master Gardner's did their sale.  How are they doing?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 07:48:52 am »

Folks are happy. Thanks for asking.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org