A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:30:02 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun Sams  (Read 190537 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: May 12, 2014, 07:49:54 pm »

Opens tomorrow...

Say Whaaaaaaaaa?

https://www.facebook.com/shotgunsamspizzapalace
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:03:01 pm »

That might be interesting.... wonder how they got the recipes?  Or just "winging" it from memory....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:32:39 am »

Therein lies the danger in resurrecting an old brand.  Customers will rely on their taste memory from 30 years ago as a comparison. 

You could go directly from the original recipe and half the people would say it’s nowhere close to the original.

Shotgun Sam’s was pretty much like Crystals, I don’t recall anything that special about the food, it was just a fun place for families to go eat.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:01:03 am »

Therein lies the danger in resurrecting an old brand.  Customers will rely on their taste memory from 30 years ago as a comparison. 

You could go directly from the original recipe and half the people would say it’s nowhere close to the original.

Shotgun Sam’s was pretty much like Crystals, I don’t recall anything that special about the food, it was just a fun place for families to go eat.

It was more like Shakey's, to me.  Never did like Crystal's that much, but didn't seem to be that big a difference in taste, so maybe it was the ambience (sp?).  Always like SS building - "felt" comfortable.  Will have to try it - see if their "new Coke" is as good as the "old Coke"....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:34:28 am »

Not only that, but the quality of pizza in Tulsa and people's expectations for it have evolved significantly over the past 30 years.   Chasing a fading memory is usually a bad business plan.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:44:09 am »

It was more like Shakey's, to me.  Never did like Crystal's that much, but didn't seem to be that big a difference in taste, so maybe it was the ambience (sp?).  Always like SS building - "felt" comfortable.  Will have to try it - see if their "new Coke" is as good as the "old Coke"....

I still remember Shakey’s on Brookside.  We loved to go there.  Of course, my memory of 40 years ago swears it was the best cheese pizza ever. 

Here’s a nice piece on them plus one of their menus from the 1960’s on Batesline:

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2014/02/pizza-in-tulsa-shakeys-menu-summ.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:52:14 am »

I still remember Shakey’s on Brookside.  We loved to go there.  Of course, my memory of 40 years ago swears it was the best cheese pizza ever. 

Here’s a nice piece on them plus one of their menus from the 1960’s on Batesline:

http://www.batesline.com/archives/2014/02/pizza-in-tulsa-shakeys-menu-summ.html

Went to Shakey's on Admiral - I think that eventually turned into a hamburger joint with phones at table for ordering...??  That plus Ken's at 15th and Sheridan (other side of street), and Shotgun Sam's was way too many choices for what we thought was good pizza.  Then there was the "new" King's Food Host at 31st and Sheridan....   Since the appetites were insatiable, we always had to pick up a lot of pop bottles to afford to eat....before going home for dinner!  (Jobs would cover car expenses and clothes - eating out and money for dates was supplied by pop bottles.)

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 09:49:33 am »

I don't know if I ever went there. Now I can go and tell you that it tastes no different than I remember.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 10:21:06 am »

Went to Shakey's on Admiral - I think that eventually turned into a hamburger joint with phones at table for ordering...??  That plus Ken's at 15th and Sheridan (other side of street), and Shotgun Sam's was way too many choices for what we thought was good pizza.  Then there was the "new" King's Food Host at 31st and Sheridan....   Since the appetites were insatiable, we always had to pick up a lot of pop bottles to afford to eat....before going home for dinner!  (Jobs would cover car expenses and clothes - eating out and money for dates was supplied by pop bottles.)

Ma Bell’s is likely what you are remembering on Admiral.  I think they had another at 51st & Harvard, and maybe a third or fourth location.

King’s had phones in the booths as well.  My brother and I would sneak off and crank call the kitchen.  It would piss them off something terrible.

In my frog voice I used to do: “One fartburger please..."

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:45 am »

Ma Bell’s is likely what you are remembering on Admiral.  I think they had another at 51st & Harvard, and maybe a third or fourth location.

King’s had phones in the booths as well.  My brother and I would sneak off and crank call the kitchen.  It would piss them off something terrible.

In my frog voice I used to do: “One fartburger please..."

That is one!  Seems like there were two before they figured out it wasn't gonna fly.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 02:42:29 pm »

No go for the opening time; city inspector didnt like the ceiling tiles.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:04:40 pm »

No go for the opening time; city inspector didnt like the ceiling tiles.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:41:43 pm »

King’s had phones in the booths as well.  My brother and I would sneak off and crank call the kitchen.  It would piss them off something terrible.

Didn't ask for the Cheese Frenchee??

Guess I am gonna have to make my way to Bismarck, ND.....

http://www.bismarckcafe.com/blogs/1392/what-ever-happened-to-kings-food-host

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:47:45 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 07:37:26 pm »

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 08:20:56 pm »

I never had those kind of problems with the Health Department.  Actually, they have been helpful with insight and information on how to not only make a safe food product, but how to approach/design/build the infrastructure.   I also knew enough to glue the wall panels soundly to the wall ahead of time - before inspection.  And the vent hood - well they gave me options, some of which were less rigorous than what I ended up with, just to make other design elements work better (related to makeup air flow to the space).

Due diligence in reading the code requirements would have told them that unpainted wood is not permitted, unless it is maple specifically designed for food contact.  And did the comment mean to say it was treated wood??  Just what I want in the food zone - chemically treated wood designed to kill stuff....

Was the place ready for operation 4 weeks ago?  (And if so, why not open then??)   If not, then no inspection is meaningful - it is required, by definition on the facility as intended to operate.  4 weeks ago that was probably not exactly how even they wanted to operate.

I was really looking forward to this opening....the apparent lack of attention to detail is disturbing, especially since ALL of these things are specifically defined in the code they should have read and paid attention to.   Cutting these corners leads to questions about what other corners have been cut?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org