A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:20:56 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is Bad  (Read 46948 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »

Apart from the horrific shock for the spectators. A Guillotine and a basket seemed to be quite effective and most likely painless. A bullet does not always kill 100% of the time. i.e. the Boston Bomber trying to shoot himself in the head.
Now if you want to go with a device like the one Anton Chigurh used in No Country for Old Men. We might have something there.
But a good ol sharp angled, stainless steel, Gillette blade dropped at the appropriate height and speed should take the guess work out of the task at hand.

The guillotine was a slow kill.  The head can remain conscious for some time after removal.  The only thing you stop with the blade is blood flow - and that can take several minutes to die from.  Gonna have some shock going on, so may not be much sensory input....

Maybe like Henri Languille?

Be careful if you go down the "rabbit hole" of looking for him....you won't see video of him, but there are some gruesome things related to the topic.

Now, if you aim the blade through the middle of the skull....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2014, 07:33:42 pm »

Maybe if we all get together and sing kum-by-yah and give the world a coke it will end wars, pestilence and famine.

I vote we bring back the guillotine...    Publicly...     Bloody, and it might just scare a few people who do things like bury people alive or rape infants into rethinking their plans.

Yea we all know there was so much less raping and murdering back when they used the guillotine.  Truly an age of blissful world peace.

Let's see, try something that is shown to work or go back to trying something that did not work.  Hmmm….

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TeeDub
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 08:05:33 pm »

Yea we all know there was so much less raping and murdering back when they used the guillotine.  Truly an age of blissful world peace.

Let's see, try something that is shown to work or go back to trying something that did not work.  Hmmm….

So your solution is what again?   I suppose we could legalize raping infants and burying people alive....

Remove the cowboy gun culture?   I suppose that you believe that we can get criminals to turn in all their illegal guns?   (Note, that felons can't own guns now, so yes, they already have them illegally.)

That makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:08:05 pm by TeeDub » Logged
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2014, 08:14:40 pm »

Coupla' nice big jumps there T.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 09:10:13 pm »

So your solution is what again?   I suppose we could legalize raping infants and burying people alive....

Remove the cowboy gun culture?   I suppose that you believe that we can get criminals to turn in all their illegal guns?   (Note, that felons can't own guns now, so yes, they already have them illegally.)

That makes perfect sense.

The death penalty certainly hasn’t proven to be a deterrent.  If it were that effective, our murder rate would be nearly nil.  Instead it’s an expensive pain in the donkey which solves absolutely nothing in lowering crime rates.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2014, 09:13:18 pm »

Instead of spending all this time, thought, arguments and money on death penalties, "revenge justice", etc. why don't we work to create a society that doesn't have such a high crime/murder rate in the first place.  There are cities/areas in the world with populations larger than all of Oklahoma that have less murders for the entire year than just the city of Tulsa averages in a few weeks.

It's sad that we have a society that has so much crime and murder in the first place. We put all this passion into being angry at the outcomes of that society, and then after we kill the person perpetrating this horrible crime, we don't have the same passion to do what it would take to keep from having these crimes happen again and again and again. I hear people say "That person made the choice to kill someone."  Why don't we as a society make the choice to create a society having far far fewer people who would ever make that horrible choice?  Instead we kill them and go on about our business as if that's all that needed to be done. Then get all upset and in a rage once again with the next murder and the next and on the cycle goes.  Perhaps, if we weren't allowed to kill them, we might then have more of an incentive to turn our attention to creating a culture/society where so many murders wouldn't happen in the first place.

Was reading something the dad of the boy from Germany who was studying in the US and shot dead after he walked into someones open garage, had said.  He also said something to the effect of "Why don't they work to create a low crime culture instead of a cowboy gun culture?"

One would think sociologists have studied what makes other countries with much lower violent crime rates and tried to start implementing or at least sharing what they are learning.  IMO, I believe it’s a shift away from personal responsibility, nuclear families, spirituality/religion, and a lack of respect for human life that’s been missed somewhere in the first three issues I mentioned.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2014, 10:01:16 pm »

One would think sociologists have studied what makes other countries with much lower violent crime rates and tried to start implementing or at least sharing what they are learning.  IMO, I believe it’s a shift away from personal responsibility, nuclear families, spirituality/religion, and a lack of respect for human life that’s been missed somewhere in the first three issues I mentioned.

You know who I blame. 

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2014, 10:30:04 am »

IMO, I believe it’s a shift away from personal responsibility, nuclear families, spirituality/religion, and a lack of respect for human life that’s been missed somewhere in the first three issues I mentioned.

You'd think but, at least in Western Europe, violent crime rates are lower than they are here as is self-reported religiosity. They typically deal with more property crime and pickpocketing and the like. The biggest difference is the number of guns in circulation. It's not completely unreasonable to think that assaults are more likely to turn into manslaughter or murder when guns are around.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2014, 10:46:06 am »

You'd think but, at least in Western Europe, violent crime rates are lower than they are here as is self-reported religiosity. They typically deal with more property crime and pickpocketing and the like. The biggest difference is the number of guns in circulation. It's not completely unreasonable to think that assaults are more likely to turn into manslaughter or murder when guns are around.

Without intent to harm someone, a gun doesn’t get used.  Still plenty of people killed without the use of firearms.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2014, 11:28:23 am »

Tulsa World Breaking:

Obama troubled by botched Oklahoma execution

Anyone think the comments on that story will go to plaid?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »

New revelations are coming out. He refused to come out of his cell and they tased him. I guess to the point that his right arm could not be used for the injection. They chose to administer the drug through his groin. I wonder if that is the vain they are saying collapsed?

I wonder which "truth" we should believe, the earlier account or this more polished (yet contradictory) version.

Nazi Germany was the last to use the Guillotine on a regular basis (though occasional use persisted until the 1970's). 
When it was invented, the goal was to be humane, but it made executions so easy that whoever was in power found that they could effortlessly lower the bar for what constituted a capital crime.  See Reign of Terror.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2014, 01:02:14 pm »

Without intent to harm someone, a gun doesn’t get used.  Still plenty of people killed without the use of firearms.

Neither does a knife, but you're a lot more likely to die from a gunshot wound than you are from a knife wound. Obviously, people intent on killing other people will succeed with either, but the vast majority of unlawful shootings are related to arguments that get out of hand and would be mainly injurious to pride without deadly weapons immediately at hand.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2014, 02:33:27 pm »

You have to listen to his own words two days later on what happened that night. Him, Shawn and Alfonso are all guilty. I can only hope his friends are still suffering for their part in this crime. He gets no sympathy from me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2618893/He-deserved-Friends-victim-weigh-botched-execution-video-surfaces-chilling-1999-taped-confession-Oklahoma-murderer-showed-no-remorse-did.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2014, 03:35:28 pm »

You have to listen to his own words two days later on what happened that night. Him, Shawn and Alfonso are all guilty. I can only hope his friends are still suffering for their part in this crime. He gets no sympathy from me.

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I like to think that I'm not as sick as the people we are putting to death.

TeeDub
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2014, 05:37:34 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2618893/He-deserved-Friends-victim-weigh-botched-execution-video-surfaces-chilling-1999-taped-confession-Oklahoma-murderer-showed-no-remorse-did.html

Watch that interview about 18 minutes in and tell me he didn't need to die.

The only thing that went wrong with that execution was that it took 15 years.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org