A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:12:48 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tallgrass  (Read 22866 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: January 27, 2014, 03:12:04 pm »

OK, so there are a bunch of new restaurants and bars that have opened in and near downtown.  Not seeing any of them being reviewed, so I'm just going to throw some names out there and see what folks have to say:

Tallgrass Prairie Table
313 East 2nd St

(Former site of the Blue Dome Diner).

We went there for dinner recently.  Great atmosphere, fancy vittles, great wait staff, local/organic, a bit pricey.

I'll definitely try this again, but my first impression is that it might do well to follow the advice of Thoreou and "Simplify, simplify."  Personal bias: I'm a sucker for simple foods prepared exquisitely.  (Rather than overly complex foods prepared expensively.)  Since they go out of their way to source local and organic meats, eggs and veggies, it seems like they shouldn't have to doctor them up too much.  Am I just being cranky and overly critical? Other folks: what are your thoughts?  (About the food, not me!)  Wink
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:15:33 pm »

A good friend of mine went there recently and gave them a huge thumbs up.  One of the better reviews he's given in a while.  I am looking forward to trying this place.

TheAnsonia
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 04:24:04 pm »

We are yet to wander over to Tallgrass. (The cold weather is keeping our normal walk-to-dinner plans to a minimum.) I'm also a little gun-shy on the prices despite the rave reviews I have heard. I am just not much of a $20+/plate kinda gal, which is only exacerbated by my apathy for steakhouses. I mean - I gotta have a nice bev with dinner too!

For those who wish to check it out, I have heard that the bone marrow is a must-try!
TheAnsonia
Citizen

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:56:55 am »

I gave in and paid the price - well worth it!

Location(s) Being Reviewed: Tallgrass - 2nd Street
Date/Time of Visit: Last Thursday around 9:00 p.m.
Quality of Food (1-5): 5
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 5
Quality of Service (1-5): 5
Atmosphere (1-5): 5
Overall Rating (1-5): 5
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$-$$$$

What makes this restaurant unique: The food! Incredible food. The scallops were even better than they used to be when the chef was at Smoke. The bone marrow is so unique to anywhere else in Tulsa and so good!

Tell us about your experience: We arrived without a reservation late into dinner service on a Thursday. The restaurant was hopping, but we were able to find a spot at the bar (though there were a couple tables open also). I recognized our bartender from previous establishments where she had worked. She gave us outstanding service and good recommendations regarding our dinner choices. The menu is somewhat short (as one would expect at a nicer restaurant) but varied. We started off with an appetizer of the much-touted bone marrow. It did not disappoint. The lemon and dill served with it really brought out the flavor. My husband tried the shot of whiskey taken through the remaining bone and found it to be incredible (not to mention unique). We elected to split the duck breast and scallops/pork belly dishes for our dinner. We couldn't decide which was better! Magnificently cooked to perfection. For drinks, we each had a glass of tasty Malbec that complemented everything nicely.

Worth the price, worth the wait, worth making reservations.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:14:53 pm »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: Tallgrass - 2nd Street
Date/Time of Visit: Last Friday 6:45 PM
Quality of Food (1-5): 5
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 5
Quality of Service (1-5): 4.5
Atmosphere (1-5): 5
Overall Rating (1-5): 5
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$-$$$$

What makes this restaurant unique: Excellent Food Quality.  Stands up to anything in Tulsa.  Also the unique bone marrow appetizer and luge Shot. 

Note.  I took off a 1/2 point for service as it was a little slow at times.  But not too bad, and it was packed, and the server's knowledge of everything and overall great attitude made up for it.

Tell us about your experience: I could go into detail, but suffice to say that everything everyone had was simply excellent.  With the possible exception of the flat bread appetizer, which was still very good, but not really differentiated from others I've had elsewhere.  My buddy and I felt we had to try the bone marrow and associated luge shot, if for no other reason than to say we did, as it is easily the most unique thing on the menu. (The wives politely declined.) I found it very "interesting".  I'm not sure I'll do it again, but the flavor layering with the various side components made for a very complex taste and mouth feel.  I give it a thumbs up, with caveats.  The luge shot following though, I give higher marks.  I went with Bullet Rye, and the alcohol in the shot dissolved the fats in the marrow and added a layer of complexity and smoothness that was really quite good.  I don't think you can do the luge shot without actually ordering the marrow appetizer, but if you could I would be very interested in that.

Not cheap, but not ridiculous either.  Make reservations.  Well worth it, and I will go back.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 04:27:03 pm »

Prhyme did a bone marrow luge shot when they first opened.  Not sure if they still are.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 11:23:56 am »

The work done inside was pretty impressive.  It looks great.

Price is reasonable and service was good.

The wife had the flat iron and I had the ribeye.

Sadly, both were oily Whirley.  There was oil Whirl pooled in the plates.  We paid our tab and moved on.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:06:53 pm by Townsend » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »

The work done inside was pretty impressive.  It looks great.

Price is reasonable and service was good.

The wife had the flat iron and I had the ribeye.

Sadly, both were oily.  There was oil pooled in the plates.  We paid our tab and moved on.

10W-40 or 5W-20?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 12:56:05 pm »

10W-40 or 5W-20?

I'm going to guess Whirl

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 05:47:27 am »

The Vault is better......

rdj
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 07:24:10 am »

Brunch at Tallgrass this weekend was very good.  Service wasn't as good as the food but was passable.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 04:21:25 pm »

Never been there, but based on the examples above I don't think my food Venn diagram and their's overlap.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 08:10:34 am »

Never been there, but based on the examples above I don't think my food Venn diagram and their's overlap.

The chef is very talented.

Personally I don't buy the "farm to fork" mantra though...unless Sams is a farm.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 09:41:42 am »

Closing its doors on Oct 1st

https://www.facebook.com/TallgrassTulsa/posts/1860350707323342

Sad
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 10:44:40 am »

Not terribly surprised, I remember hearing that Michelle Donaldson was leaving for Detroit earlier this year and apparently had left Tallgrass by the time MC and I had taken the cannon_fodders there for a fairly disappointing experience.  Apparently, she was the magic behind that one.  We never had a meh experience until she left.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org