A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:23:29 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Condo dispute  (Read 15696 times)
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 12:01:10 am »

The people upstairs have shown they won't do what they should.  Will have to go to court.  Unless he can turn it over to his insurance company and then get them to go after the upstairs insurance company to subrogate (sp??  usage??) the claim.  His pays to fix it, then goes after the other person's insurance to get the money back.  

Since it is water related, his might (probably will) try to claim flood, so he may just be out of luck.

The dark stains are some serious mold starting up there.  If it were mine, I would at least get a plastic spray bottle with 1 cup of clorox per gallon and spray it on the stains to try to keep the mold under some control... at least keep it from spreading or getting worse at that spot....  Spray all the dark stains on the sheet rock, and all that exposed wood - studs and plywood, everything.  It will dry quickly and won't do any more damage than the water that has already been there.

Thanks for the tip on the mold control.  His insurance won't cover this because it didn't start at his place, and apparently, if it happened suddenly, that's different.  Her insurance (the woman upstairs), said that it was long term damage so case closed. 

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 12:19:53 am »

Won't help the water/mold...but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Fv98jttYA

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 09:20:26 am »

I finally got actual photos of the damage to the area housing the A/C unit.  The owner upstairs has ignored the letter documenting what has happened since the discovery, and basically she seems to think she's not responsible.  There seems to be some fishy business going on with her insurance adjuster.  Everytime the young man in question contacts her, she leaves a note saying that he needs to contact her insurance adjuster, but he was told twice that the claim was CLOSED.  Me thinks she's using him as a sort of bouncer, and that he's a friend of the family's.  I don't understand some people.  I wonder how the hell she sleeps at night. 

This should give a better idea than my description.  The young man believes that the owner and the condo manager both know that he's learning disabled, and they're all giving him the run around.  Surely there is something that can be done?  He looks like an average person, but when he speaks, you can pick up that he has difficulty expressing himself, so people tend to dismiss him or push him around.  Where the hell is KARMA when we need her?Huh

Lawyer up.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 10:29:57 am »

I know he needs a lawyer, but all of his savings went into purchasing this condo, and he's working and in school part time.  What are his options?  Are there any law firms that would handle a case like this where they get paid if he wins the suit, but he doesn't have to pay a retainer fee? Huh  I've never had to sue anyone (YET), so I'm clueless about lawyers.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 11:38:30 am »

I know he needs a lawyer, but all of his savings went into purchasing this condo, and he's working and in school part time.  What are his options?  Are there any law firms that would handle a case like this where they get paid if he wins the suit, but he doesn't have to pay a retainer fee? Huh  I've never had to sue anyone (YET), so I'm clueless about lawyers.

Many firms will handle cases on a contingency basis but it also depends on how likely they think they are to get a settlement. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »

I know he needs a lawyer, but all of his savings went into purchasing this condo, and he's working and in school part time.

Don't know about any of the local schools, but many around the country have legal aid programs for students. If not, they may be able to provide a referral to someone appropriate. There are attorneys out there who are flexible on payment arrangements, but this doesn't seem likely to be something anybody is going to take on contingency.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 09:56:32 am »

Update:  The young man found a lawyer who "might" take his case.  Photos were given to her and she was surprised at the extent of damage.  One contractor said that there is no telling what they will find behind the obvious mold and damage, so fixing it might run anywhere from $6K to $10K, since the A/C could have problems as well.

Wretched creature that lives above him has ignored his certified letter documenting everything, and continues to go her merry way.  I am beginning to wonder about Karma...seems some people get away with being wretched creatures Roll Eyes

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »

Update:  The young man found a lawyer who "might" take his case.  Photos were given to her and she was surprised at the extent of damage.  One contractor said that there is no telling what they will find behind the obvious mold and damage, so fixing it might run anywhere from $6K to $10K, since the A/C could have problems as well.

Wretched creature that lives above him has ignored his certified letter documenting everything, and continues to go her merry way.  I am beginning to wonder about Karma...seems some people get away with being wretched creatures Roll Eyes

Only need to know two things to be a plumber....sh$t runs downhill, and payday is Friday.  The one above obviously understands the first part, so until some of that comes back up to her, she has no problem...  That's what a lawyer does for the guy - makes sh$t run uphill...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 01:17:29 pm »

There are actually 3 things a plumber should nkow...the last being don't bite your finger nails!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »

There are actually 3 things a plumber should nkow...the last being don't bite your finger nails!

As well as cold is on the right hot is on the left.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 02:07:50 pm »

As well as cold is on the right hot is on the left.

Sometimes....

HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 06:31:14 pm »

Finally, the young man found a lawyer who is willing to work with him, and indeed, he HAS a case! Woo hoo.

I've been helping with advice, photos and keeping track of conversations and incidents etc.

Plus, he had yet another bloody leak by another owner, and their insurance said they're not paying.  What the hell is up with insurance companies in Tulsa???

The first one said the damage was from ongoing leaks, and they don't cover ongoing which is baloney.  This one happened because of water heater, and was found within a day, and they said that someone was in the condo so technically they could have stopped it!  pancakes?

BOGUS companies of course, with stupid names that no one probably ever heard of.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:33:46 pm by HoneySuckle » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 09:46:41 pm »

Plus, he had yet another bloody leak by another owner, and their insurance said they're not paying.  What the hell is up with insurance companies in Tulsa???

The first one said the damage was from ongoing leaks, and they don't cover ongoing which is baloney.  This one happened because of water heater, and was found within a day, and they said that someone was in the condo so technically they could have stopped it!  pancakes?

BOGUS companies of course, with stupid names that no one probably ever heard of.

It's the standard operating procedure of an insurance company.  Every time.  No matter what.  How do you think they get so rich - well besides us bailing them out, since they, like banks are too big to fail...    And the "stock" companies are even worse than the mutual companies....

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org