A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:33:48 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5th & Main  (Read 34232 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 11:20:07 am »

What's the +/- on how long before someone turns this into a car was?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 04:11:30 pm »

Yes it is a valid expenditure; it comes from the Downtown and Neighborhood fund (there is no historic marker fund in Vision 2025 that is an internal City project designation).

Seems like there was a historic marker fund in Vision2025:
Tulsa Tablets: They can be referred to as historical markers, but planners prefer to call them Tulsa Tablets."

"The intent is to not be so solemn and serious," said Jamieson, also a member of the Vision 2025 Downtown Tulsa Design Advisory Committee.

Page added, "We want to avoid the highway-marker syndrome."

As pedestrians navigate the route, they will encounter tall, metallic Tulsa Tablets - 24 in total - that will highlight the surrounding buildings and detail bits of the city's history involving outlaws, railroads, famous visitors, music, the performing arts, early politics, banks, schools and race relations.

Negotiations are under way to incorporate photography from the Beryl Ford/Rotary Club of Tulsa collection. The markers will present age-specific information - high for adults and low for children perhaps with clues to find the next marker.

Author Michael Wallis, who wrote the book "Route 66: The Mother Road," and his wife, Suzanne Walls, have been hired to craft the text.

"Every word counts on a project like this," Michael Wallis said.

He said they will have to carefully consider the audience. "It's important to really think about whether something will be relevant in 10 years or even in 50 years, because these markers will be out there a long time," he said.

"It's also important to realize that many of the people who stop and read these things don't know squat about Tulsa."

But Wallis said they will strive to capture imaginations.

"There's going to be stuff about bootleggers, oil barons, whore houses and gangsters," he said. "When you talk about history, you do it warts and all. That's what people like to hear."
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2014, 03:14:30 pm »

Seems like there was a historic marker fund in Vision2025:
Evidentially priorities changed as the fountain restoration project was approved by the Council and Mayor utilizing funds from the "Downtown and Neighborhoods" fund.  FYI, These project funds were allocated to all of the municipalities in Tulsa County (by population at the time) for the implementation of locally determined projects which met the general requirements as this did.

The City may have or had such an internal fund that they were funding/tracking with Vision dollars, don't know and I don't have access to their system to look.   I do know that well prior to the fountain project I was aware they were short of funding to fully implement the tablets portion of the propopsed Centennial walk project.  

Again; Within the Vision 2025 system and voter authorized projects no such project or fund exists as previously stated.

Clear as fountain water?

Kirby

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2014, 03:57:12 pm »

One street down,,, are they ever going to be able to add the amphitheater and stuff to the park at 6th and Main?  The park as is seems lacking and unfinished.   

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2014, 05:47:19 pm »

One street down,,, are they ever going to be able to add the amphitheater and stuff to the park at 6th and Main?  The park as is seems lacking and unfinished.   

The nicotine dependent seem to like it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2014, 09:00:41 pm »

That wasn't Vision2025, and it's finished as is.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2014, 12:27:30 pm »

That wasn't Vision2025, and it's finished as is.

From what I gather it "H A Chapman Centennial Green" was about half funded through the Vision2025 with the rest coming from donors. It was intended to be the starting point for the Centennial Walk.  There was a covered amphitheater in the original plans and even a food vendor type area with seating behind it.  Did the donors not come through with the money to finish everything, or was it Vision2025?  I will hunt for the rendering of the completed park I think I have somewhere.

Here is a PDF of the amphitheater with the "possible future" Kiosk/restroom space behind.
http://www.landlegacy.net/pdf/ParkConPlan.pdf

Here is a PDF of the Kiosk/restrooms part behind the amphitheater.
http://www.landlegacy.net/pdf/ParkKioskCon.pdf

http://www.gtrnews.com/greater-tulsa-reporter/3285/ActionContinuesDowntownwithDedication

"The park features an oval green lawn, a Red Oak Centennial Tree, and brick-like concrete pavers surrounding the grassy area. The park is named “H.A. Chapman Centennial Green,” and the lawn is named the “Walton Family Lawn.” H.A. Chapman and the Walton Family assisted Land Legacy in acquisition of the property and pledged funds toward its development.

A fountain was built at one end of the park, and a small amphitheater was built at the other end. Features to be added soon include a fountain sculpture and an amphitheater wall. Tulsa architect and artist Shane Fernandez spoke at the dedication and unveiled a model of a sculpture to be placed atop the park’s fountain. The sculpture, to be constructed of steel and glass, is an artistic representation of an oil derrick, paying tribute to Tulsa’s “oil capital” history.

A Vision 2025 project celebrating Oklahoma’s Centennial, the H.A. Chapman Centennial Green has opened just in time for Tulsa Parks’ 100th year in 2009. Events already scheduled at the park in April include the March of Dimes’ “March for Babies” and the Tulsa Day Center for the Homeless’ “Lyrics on the Lawn.” In May, it will be the site for the Mayfest KidZone.

Vision 2025 funding for the park included $378,000 for design, $3.8 million for construction, and $1.2 million for land purchased from Land Legacy. Land Legacy bought the property for $2.4 million and sold it to the City of Tulsa for half price."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:46:26 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2014, 02:00:43 pm »

I stand corrected, but I do know for sure it is done as is. The Centennial walk information is on the back of the amphitheater.

There were multiple donors and a lot of people wanting different things. I talked to someone involved in the design about a year ago and he told me the hydro wall, cafe and restrooms were nixed a long time ago.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2014, 08:29:49 am »

With the food truck trend in full swing it seems unnecessary to have permanent food kiosks in parks.  They are always there for events and sometime the food trucks themselves are the event.  A covered stage might be nice but isn't entirely necessary.  They've had music acts play there with some success.  As more restaurants and retail move into that area maybe the business owners' association can take it upon themselves to fund improvements that they think will be helpful for drawing bigger crowds.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2014, 09:26:51 am »

I stand corrected, but I do know for sure it is done as is. The Centennial walk information is on the back of the amphitheater.

There were multiple donors and a lot of people wanting different things. I talked to someone involved in the design about a year ago and he told me the hydro wall, cafe and restrooms were nixed a long time ago.
There was Vision funds associated with the project (same source as described above).  The project came in dramatically over budget and was greatly reduced in scope.  As I recall the hope of adding some of the amenities back in via donations or other funds.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
davideinstein
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2014, 02:30:50 pm »

With the food truck trend in full swing it seems unnecessary to have permanent food kiosks in parks.  They are always there for events and sometime the food trucks themselves are the event.  A covered stage might be nice but isn't entirely necessary.  They've had music acts play there with some success.  As more restaurants and retail move into that area maybe the business owners' association can take it upon themselves to fund improvements that they think will be helpful for drawing bigger crowds.

Ban the food trucks and collect some property taxes.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2014, 04:02:57 pm »

Ban the food trucks and collect some property taxes.

Roll Eyes

Here it comes....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2014, 07:54:38 pm »

We make our living off of sales taxes. That's why Dewey is going psycho on the city budget.

onward...through the fog
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2014, 08:57:28 pm »

I keep hearing the mayor mention internet sales as if that is what is bringing down the cities tax collections and not something else.  Sounded logical the first couple times I heard it but then started wondering if other cities are still cutting services and such and having lower tax revenues.  Just started looking around at other cities budgets and noticed that Denvers Mayors budget report for 2014 is increasing parks and after school arts programs, expanding neighborhood pool open times, hiring more police, adding new transit stations "to help revitalize more areas of the city", etc.  Perhaps they don't have Amazon there or perhaps rely on other forms of taxes?  Anywhoo seems that many other cities are moving right along and touting their programs as reasons why while here we are cutting and blaming the internet.  

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2014, 09:08:10 pm »

We make our living off of sales taxes. That's why Dewey is going psycho on the city budget.

They reported a 1% increase in sales tax revenue year over year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org