A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:58:35 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State capitol religious monuments  (Read 35623 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: December 08, 2013, 04:58:28 pm »

Our conservative Christians in the state legislature have opened the door for an interesting argument about religious monuments on public property. You will recall that after a private organization offered to pay for a Ten Commandments monument, our legislators - despite the contentious issue of its constitutionality - agreed to put said monument on the grounds of the state capitol, effectively thumbing their noses at anyone who disagreed.

Well, it's come full circle. A group of satanists now want to put up their own monument at the capitol. You'd think this was from the Onion, but no, it's from NBC News:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/08/21820518-satanists-want-statue-beside-ten-commandments-monument-at-oklahoma-legislature?lite

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 05:26:57 pm »

Our conservative Christians in the state legislature have opened the door for an interesting argument about religious monuments on public property. You will recall that after a private organization offered to pay for a Ten Commandments monument, our legislators - despite the contentious issue of its constitutionality - agreed to put said monument on the grounds of the state capitol, effectively thumbing their noses at anyone who disagreed.

Well, it's come full circle. A group of satanists now want to put up their own monument at the capitol. You'd think this was from the Onion, but no, it's from NBC News:

Im almost hoping its some gaudy animatronic they took off of Robbie Bell's hands,
With lasers.  (nighttime curfew, of course).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:38:30 am »

Could it be.....Satan? Well isn't that special ~ Church Lady.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:22:01 pm »

Im almost hoping its some gaudy animatronic they took off of Robbie Bell's hands,
With lasers.  (nighttime curfew, of course).

"We believe that all monuments should be in good taste and consistent with community standards," Greaves wrote in letter to state officials. "Our proposed monument, as an homage to the historic/literary Satan, will certainly abide by these guidelines."
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:26:51 pm »

The Oklahoma Legislature has taken other steps that many believe blur the line that divides church and state. The House speaker said he wants to build a chapel inside the Capitol to celebrate Oklahoma's "Judeo-Christian heritage." Several lawmakers have said they want to allow nativity scenes and other religious-themed symbols in public schools.

Rep. Bobby Cleveland, who plans to introduce a one such bill next year, said many Christians feel they are under attack as a result of political correctness. He dismissed the notion of Satanists erecting a monument at the Capitol.

"I think these Satanists are a different group," Cleveland, R-Slaughterville, said. "You put them under the nut category."

I'm thinking this is a big ol' "nut category" showdown.
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:13:09 pm »

Hmmm!  Must post the 10 commandments outside, only to see the officials break or disregard each and every one of them once inside.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:45:00 pm »

Hmmm!  Must post the 10 commandments outside, only to see the officials break or disregard each and every one of them once inside.

It's a reminder so they know which ones they are breaking.  Also, it allows a shortcut by allowing them to merely say the number of the commandment rather than recite the entire thing.

Cheesy

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 03:01:59 pm »

It's a reminder so they know which ones they are breaking.  Also, it allows a shortcut by allowing them to merely say the number of the commandment rather than recite the entire thing.

Cheesy

They used to have them in the courtrooms.  Obviously so you could just say "I'll have a #6 and a #8, and can I get small order of #9?"

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 03:25:03 pm »

If Rep. Cleveland dismisses satanism as mere nuttery and uses that as a reason to deny them access, he is effectively using the power of state government to endorse only those religious creeds he finds agreeable. Let's suppose I hit the Powerball and declare my own divinity (for tax purposes, mind you, because She Who Must Be Obeyed would never agree let alone worship me) and as part of my new identity I insist on erecting a monument to myself on capitol grounds. You would all be okay with that, wouldn't you?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 03:27:36 pm »

If Rep. Cleveland dismisses satanism as mere nuttery and uses that as a reason to deny them access, he is effectively using the power of state government to endorse only those religious creeds he finds agreeable. Let's suppose I hit the Powerball and declare my own divinity (for tax purposes, mind you, because She Who Must Be Obeyed would never agree let alone worship me) and as part of my new identity I insist on erecting a monument to myself on capitol grounds. You would all be okay with that, wouldn't you?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

As long as it's tasteful.

Nothing gaudy.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 03:31:51 pm »

I insist on erecting a monument to myself on capitol grounds.

All Hail Ed.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 03:42:50 pm »

I always thought there should be a deity named Ed.

We could all convert to Edism and read the book of Ed (mostly just recipes i'm sure).

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 04:10:27 pm »

I always thought there should be a deity named Ed.

We could all convert to Edism and read the book of Ed (mostly just recipes i'm sure).

I'm in so long as everyone gets a bad donkey robe and meetings are optional.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »

I'm in so long as everyone gets a bad donkey robe and meetings are optional.

No donkey robes. What in the world are donkey robes?

Instead, you get one of these:

Since nachos and beer are part of the sacraments, along with football, cyclocross racing, and playing with sharp knives, snuggies help to minimize heat loss while containing chips, cheese, and beer spills as well as covering up the odd knife wound or two.

Every religion includes some tale of a spiritual journey, fraught with peril and privation. Ours involved a U-Haul that spewed oil all the way from Pennsylvania to Oklahoma, where we were mightily perplexed by "Do Not Drive Into Smoke" signs and the search for seemingly non-existent "rest stops" along the Oklahoma Turnpike. These remain some of the central mysteries in Edism.

I was going to claim that I fully understand women too, but while we deities are omniscient, there are some places we won't go.

Ed

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 09:12:49 am »

You're the deity? I thought we were worshipping the horse....of course. The FAMOUS Mr. Ed!

Changes everything.

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org