A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:06:25 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound Attenuation In Interior Design  (Read 6756 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: November 21, 2013, 06:57:02 pm »

Some of you know from previous posts that one of my pet peeves is loud restaurants and total disregard for interior acoustics.  There are places I no longer eat because I can't stand sound coming at me from every angle.

MC and I finally got around to getting wedding bands made at Spexton after being married for over a year and a half.  We decided to try Andolini's for lunch.  We'd had pizza from their food truck and loved it so we figured it couldn't suck at the mothership. 

The food was excellent, but the place is freaking deafening.  I get the idea I'm getting near 50 and not as hip as I used to be, but do younger people really enjoy going to places you have to almost shout to have a conversation with the person sitting four feet from you?  I never enjoyed that when I was 18, at least not at restaurants.  If I wanted noise, I went to SRO.  I really don't get it, it's a huge turn off to me.  It wouldn't take much to absorb some of the sound splash in that space without wrecking the charm of the interior.

Thoughts?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:09:39 pm »

I'm getting near 50 and not as hip as I used to be,

Have a witty response to this? Line forms here.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »

Some of you know from previous posts that one of my pet peeves is loud restaurants and total disregard for interior acoustics.  There are places I no longer eat because I can't stand sound coming at me from every angle.

MC and I finally got around to getting wedding bands made at Spexton after being married for over a year and a half.  We decided to try Andolini's for lunch.  We'd had pizza from their food truck and loved it so we figured it couldn't suck at the mothership. 

The food was excellent, but the place is freaking deafening.  I get the idea I'm getting near 50 and not as hip as I used to be, but do younger people really enjoy going to places you have to almost shout to have a conversation with the person sitting four feet from you?  I never enjoyed that when I was 18, at least not at restaurants.  If I wanted noise, I went to SRO.  I really don't get it, it's a huge turn off to me.  It wouldn't take much to absorb some of the sound splash in that space without wrecking the charm of the interior.

Thoughts?

You will have to speak up a bit, I can't hear you.

Grin

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:00:27 pm »

Have a witty response to this? Line forms here.

Nah, he sports a mean fu-manchu, so the hipster is still there.   Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:26:47 pm »

You will have to speak up a bit, I can't hear you.

Grin

Get off my damned lawn...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 12:38:59 am »

Noisy restaurants are a nuisance.  Ate in a nice large and cavernous local Alpharetta, GA restaurant tonight that was crowded and very boisterous.  So much so that we spent too much time repeating ourselves because we were unable to hear one another.  The building's acoustics could perhaps have been better, but the rudeness of the diners was the biggest issue.  Why do some people insist on acting like fools at home when they go to establishments that serve the public?  BTW, the crowd tonight was mostly mid level professionals and not the younger bar crowd.

My biggest restaurant pet peeve however is when someone runs a vacuum cleaner or carpet sweeper while customers are dining.  This often happens later when the staff is anxious to start the closing process, but in effect it really ruins any dining experience.   The noise as well as the dust/ debris circulating from the vacuum or broom into the air and subsequently into one's food is digusting.  Customers also feel rushed and disrespected at the same time.  A restaurant shouldn't allow this to happen (or should greatly limit this practice) in the presence of diners unless there has been some type of spill or accident that necessitates immediate attention. This doesn't just happen in moderately or lower priced chain restaurants.   
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 06:03:01 am »

I really can't feel too bad for you with the vacuum going at closing time. I know people who work til midnight cleaning restaurants and have to be up at six the next morning. If one goes into a restaurant nearing closing time and stays later than the posted hours, then I am fine with the staff beginning to vacuum, stack chairs, etc. However, if it's during normal operational hours I agree that it should seldom happen.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 12:02:59 pm »

Conan's not the only one - this is a common complaint.

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2013/08/retaurant_decibel_levels.php

http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/07/adam-platt-on-loud-restaurants.html

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 02:18:59 pm »

A relative of mine (who managed some restaurants in Tulsa) said that noise, like excessive air conditioning, is a way to "churn" customers quicker, getting them out of the door once they have enjoyed their meal, to make room for more customers.
Lingering patrons slow the commerce, at least in that business model.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 02:52:25 pm »

A relative of mine (who managed some restaurants in Tulsa) said that noise, like excessive air conditioning, is a way to "churn" customers quicker, getting them out of the door once they have enjoyed their meal, to make room for more customers.

Yeah, but it runs some customers off permanently.  I will get take out from Andolini’s in the future, but I doubt we will ever eat in again which robs them of potential impulse purchases like salad, apps, or dessert.  I like the Sushi at ITR, but unless one of my daughters picks it for a birthday, I never go.  Even their Norman and Bricktown locations have the sound splash.

Loud noise in restaurants is to me what acorn lights are to you.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 03:37:02 pm »

This got me thinking.  I wonder if restauranters also use noise for the opposite effect as well to perhaps entice people in by trying to create that "this is the place to be" effect.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 03:52:56 pm »

The problem generally is a combination of the trend towards hard services (concrete floors and metal tables, etc.) with no buffers and loud music.  Much of the increase in volume/noise is intentional as restaurateurs believe loudness gives a place a sense of "energy".
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 04:24:00 pm »

This got me thinking.  I wonder if restauranters also use noise for the opposite effect as well to perhaps entice people in by trying to create that "this is the place to be" effect.

I could definitely see that as a consideration.  “It’s noisy, therefore it’s popular.  If it’s popular, I must go in!"

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 06:00:53 pm »

I could definitely see that as a consideration.  “It’s noisy, therefore it’s popular.  If it’s popular, I must go in!"

I understand that thought but I guess I'm too old to agree.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 06:06:15 pm »

Kind of like parking meters.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org