A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:22:07 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chile Roasting at Reasor's  (Read 2418 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« on: August 09, 2013, 12:15:29 pm »

Rumor control has it that there will be fresh roasting of New Mexico Chile at Reasor's

$.69/lb or $16.99 for 25 lb (save $.26 on a 25 lb purchase)

41st & Yale: Friday 10:00 to 5:00

Bixby (111th & Memorial south of Lowes): Saturday 10:00 to 5:00

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:49:19 pm »

Orrrrrrrrr....   Conan will bring back several bushels and roast them with c_f!  weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

But really, that's awesome.  Fresh roasted chili's in New Mexico and fresh corn roasting in Iowa along side the road/in front of stores are two of my favorite things.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:13:54 pm »

Orrrrrrrrr....   Conan will bring back several bushels and roast them with c_f!  weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

But really, that's awesome.  Fresh roasted chili's in New Mexico and fresh corn roasting in Iowa along side the road/in front of stores are two of my favorite things.

I stopped at Reasor's in Bixby this afternoon to get a few pounds of roasted chile just to let them know there is a demand for them.  They had sold out 80 cases of Hatch Chiles by 9AM. They are trying to get some more.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 04:06:29 pm »

I've never had roasted chile. What does it do to the flavor?

I HAVE roasted corn in a wood fire and that's very good.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 09:26:13 pm »

I've never had roasted chile. What does it do to the flavor?

It changes from a raw flavor to a cooked flavor.  It's kind of like the difference between raw green beans and cooked green beans.  How does one describe flavor?  I always have difficulty with that unless there is a smokey element or something like that added.

CF and Conan like to smoke them over a wood fire like the centuries old tradition but most modern roasters are propane fired.  The skins are charred and become easy to peel off like blanched tomatoes.

Get a few Anaheim type chiles from Reasor's or even WalMart.  If you have a gas stove, hit the chiles directly with the flame from the burner. You might even use a propane torch.  The object is to charr the skin but not burn up the chile.  I believe some people put the chiles in a skillet without any oil etc and turn them frequently, again just trying to charr the skin but not really cook the chile.

Another possibility is to fire up the backyard grill and put some chiles in it.  I roast Jalapenos along side the pork chops / chicken......  Then I don't worry about peeling the skin.

Try it, you'll like it. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org