A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:52:14 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa's Big Blow  (Read 17572 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 09:11:47 pm »

I'd like to see some regulation where trees can't be near a dewlling and can't be taller than 20 feet or so, trees must be kept trimmed back when they grow. I see so many huge trees around Tulsa neighborhoods just waiting for some wind storm or ice storm to bring them down. Tulsa requires permits for everything but trees, the only tree regulation that I know of is dead trees should be cut down.

I apparently have been giving you far too much credit.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 09:12:49 pm »

I lost about double the limbs I did with the ice storm. My driveway can park four cars. Right now it is nothing but limbs in a pile about 4 feet high.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2013, 09:33:34 pm »

Large Burr Oak in backyard - no problem.  Ash tree - same.  Both perfect.

Neighbor's Silver Maple - big limb missed the car by inches...leaves didn't miss.

There are some trees that have no business in the landscape - pretty much any kind of maple, except for Japanese.  Bradford pears.  Arbor Vitae and Juniperus Virginiana (red cedar).

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 09:26:44 am »

I lost about double the limbs I did with the ice storm. My driveway can park four cars. Right now it is nothing but limbs in a pile about 4 feet high.
Yep if you would of trimed back those tree limbs before hand, or cut down the trees there would be no problem. The time to be proactive is before a storm hits.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 09:30:29 am »

Yep if you would of trimed back those tree limbs before hand, or cut down the trees there would be no problem. The time to be proactive is before a storm hits.

Yeah Grizz, use your tree limb ESP to know which limbs to trim before they fall.

Sauer-donkey' solution is to contribute to planetary desertification.

Seems like a perfectly brain damaged way to go.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 09:36:15 am »

Sycamores suck too......!!!

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 09:44:07 am »

Sycamores suck too......!!!

Pretty trees with great shade but I'll have to agree.  Drops limbs like crazy, litters your yard with balls, leaves too large to rake and sheds bark twice a year.  Those should not be in a yard.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 11:06:58 am »

"Forecasters also called the event a "derecho," for having at least a 250 mile path with severe damage and pockets of higher end wind damage. It was also called a "bow echo," for having a curved squall line shape. "

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 11:42:46 am »

Pretty trees with great shade but I'll have to agree.  Drops limbs like crazy, litters your yard with balls, leaves too large to rake and sheds bark twice a year.  Those should not be in a yard.

They also have surface roots that destroy topsoil and literally eat driveways!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 11:47:55 am »

"Forecasters also called the event a "derecho," for having at least a 250 mile path with severe damage and pockets of higher end wind damage. It was also called a "bow echo," for having a curved squall line shape. "

Now they are just making smile up.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 01:26:24 am »

They seem to do that a lot with the weather around here.  My family still laughs about the "gustnado" that hit several years back.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 05:04:53 am »

Didn't they also create "sneet"?

onward...through the fog
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 06:27:46 am »

Oh now its not just a made up term.  Smiley We get plenty of major straight-line wind damage in eastern OK from bow-echoes/squall lines. The Derecho is a different breed...it has a length component as well. It will have severe wind gusts (58mph) along its length as well as pockets of 75+ mph winds. They get them up in the Uppper Mississippi/Ohio valleys too.

And whoever mentioned how much Sycamores suck...oh yeah. I lived on Trenton off of Cherry street for years. Those trees got smashed by the ice storm and a Father's Day severe thunderstorm...place looked like a war zone.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 07:03:41 am »

Didn't they also create "sneet"?

and snew.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 07:05:09 am »

and snew.

Don't forget snizzle.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org