A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:40:08 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa's Big Blow  (Read 17564 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« on: July 24, 2013, 09:35:11 am »

Anyone have any damage from the storms July 23nd? A neighbors metal shed blew across my yard and into the house next to mine, it was creamed. many trees are down. The Admiral Drive-In lost part of it's screen in the east side theater. It's funny cities have rules and regulations about everything except for trees, people can have a 100 foot tree next to a house with 3,000 pound limbs hanging over a childs bedroom, but if your grass is more than 12" long the city will want it cut. Much of the storm damage can be traced to trees, trees falling on roads trees falling on powerlines. I'd like to see some regulation where trees can't be near a dewlling and can't be taller than 20 feet or so, trees must be kept trimmed back when they grow. I see so many huge trees around Tulsa neighborhoods just waiting for some wind storm or ice storm to bring them down. Tulsa requires permits for everything but trees, the only tree regulation that I know of is dead trees should be cut down.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:37:31 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:41:04 am »

News reports said Tulsa had hurricane force winds and some gusts could of hit 80mph in Tulsa. I heard that most homes are designed to withstand winds of only about 90mph before they start to fall apart and we came close to that wind speed. We lost power but some homes on my street had power. A neighbor chased after his trash can he found it near the Admiral Therater and he said at the time a movie was playing on the screen as the storm was blowing thru. Lips sealed

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:11:56 am »

Wow.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 10:29:42 am »

Anyone have any damage from the storms July 23nd? A neighbors metal shed blew across my yard and into the house next to mine, it was creamed. many trees are down. The Admiral Drive-In lost part of it's screen in the east side theater. It's funny cities have rules and regulations about everything except for trees, people can have a 100 foot tree next to a house with 3,000 pound limbs hanging over a childs bedroom, but if your grass is more than 12" long the city will want it cut. Much of the storm damage can be traced to trees, trees falling on roads trees falling on powerlines. I'd like to see some regulation where trees can't be near a dewlling and can't be taller than 20 feet or so, trees must be kept trimmed back when they grow. I see so many huge trees around Tulsa neighborhoods just waiting for some wind storm or ice storm to bring them down. Tulsa requires permits for everything but trees, the only tree regulation that I know of is dead trees should be cut down.

Derp. Derp. Trees is bad, mKay? Derp....
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:32:06 am »

I'd like to see some regulation where trees can't be near a dewlling and can't be taller than 20 feet or so, trees must be kept trimmed back when they grow. I see so many huge trees around Tulsa neighborhoods just waiting for some wind storm or ice storm to bring them down. Tulsa requires permits for everything but trees, the only tree regulation that I know of is dead trees should be cut down.

As the current Vice President of Up with Trees...

Shut up.

Power is nothing till you use it.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:33:54 am »

As the current Vice President of Up with Trees...

Shut up.

Mother nature says "down with trees!"
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:44:00 am »

We are still without power, but the generator was gassed up so all is well.  A house up the street on 84th and Quebec burnt down from lightning, and at 6am as I was on my way to work I had to stop several times to move trees and trash cans out of the way.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:46:54 am »

if your grass is more than 12" long the city will want it cut.

So do I
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:29 pm »

City of Tulsa offering special free greenwaste curbside debris removal operation beginning Monday

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/city-of-tulsa-offering-special-free-greenwaste-curbside-debris-removal-operation-beginning-monday#ixzz2ZzGWVThQ
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 12:09:32 pm »

Dewey Bartlett Jr's storm response was just plain awkward. I feel like I was chided for having tree debris.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 12:53:41 pm »

Dewey Bartlett Jr's storm response was just plain awkward. I feel like I was chided for having tree debris.
Here

Dewey Bartlett Jr 's storm response was is just plain awkward.

Fixed that for you.
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 01:41:30 pm »

Crazy Derecho last night. Best we can tell...the 76 mph gust at the Tulsa International Airport is the highest gust reported at that site. The new Tulsa mesonet site had a 71 mph gust...and also had a 91 mph gust reported to us from a home weather station near 37th/Nogales.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 02:19:10 pm »

Crazy Derecho last night. Best we can tell...the 76 mph gust at the Tulsa International Airport is the highest gust reported at that site. The new Tulsa mesonet site had a 71 mph gust...and also had a 91 mph gust reported to us from a home weather station near 37th/Nogales.

The best my Davis weather station got was 26mph, but I live at the bottom of a valley and north winds are blocked pretty well by neighbors 80 foot elm trees.  My brother in BA has a similar station that got a 47mph wind gust.  My station is still running on battery power, but no reporting to the internet for now for obvious reasons.  It can store data however for about 8 days, so I should be able to catch back up once juice gets going again.  I was actually out in it last night at the QT at Pine and Mingo.  Incredible winds.  The rain wasn't real strong, but the wind blew the waste cans QT has in the fuel bays out of the bays and damn near on to Pine.  I sat there for about 15 minutes after putting the new car through the sandblaster coming up Mingo and various debris hitting it before I got into the overhang.  Always happens when I get a new car.  Found a couple of little surface clear coat scuffs..nothing that compound can't fix.

Yes, I'm very OCD when it comes to a new car purchase.  Likely why I got such a good trade in deal on the old car.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 02:55:30 pm »

I'm quite certain he singled you out.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 02:58:05 pm »

I'm quite certain he singled you out.

I might have said something back about checking his pockets for smoke...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org