A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:30:49 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Legislative Thread  (Read 21595 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 08:17:40 am »

OETA's evening lineup generally appeals to a demographic which is capable of donating the cash to keep it on the air.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 08:25:51 am »

I'm saddened to see that the only way OETA's positive contributions will be noticed by many is once it is gone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 01:51:43 pm »

A small surprise:

OETA bill defeated in state House

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20130314_16_0_OKLAHO983303

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Big Bird lives!
An attempt to ultimately end direct state support of the Oklahoma Educational Television Authority failed 57-41 in the state House of Representatives on Thursday, a vote that still leaves the 60-year-old network's future somewhat in doubt.

In truth, the latest attempt to defund OETA would have endangered Big Bird less than programs such as Oklahoma's only statewide newscast and other local programming. OETA received $3.8 million in appropriations this fiscal year, or about 40 percent of its operating budget.

"As a broadcaster, I can tell you the first thing that is cut is local programming," said Rep. Harold Wright, R-Weatherford, who operates several radio stations in western Oklahoma.

"A vote to defund OETA will be it's death toll," Wright said.

Rep. Tom Newell, R-Seminole, the author of House Bill 2218, disagreed. He said the bill would phase out funding over 10 years, giving OETA time to "build up its endowment."

Newell tried to entice OETA supporters to vote for his bill by extending OETA's "sunset" authorization to 2022. Trying to defeat that authorization has been one of the tactics used by OETA opponents in recent years.

Seventeen House members lined up to debate against Newell's bill, although at least two of them were against it because they want OETA defunded immediately. Newell was the only member to debate in favor it.

Newell insisted he had worked with OETA officials on the bill, but Rep. Jeff Hickman, R-Dacoma, said, "that means holding a gun to their head and saying, 'You've got two choices. We can eliminate you now or we can eliminate you five years from now.' "

The most impassioned plea came from Rep. David Dank, R-Oklahoma City, who said the move to eliminate OETA was driven by a desire to score points "on a conservative index put out by people who couldn't get past Ned in the First Reader.

"I can't believe what we do out here," Dank said. "We're shooting gnats with cannons."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20130314_16_0_OKLAHO983303
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 06:20:20 pm »

Just more Oklahoma legislature nonsense.  It's what we want in this state.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 02:04:47 pm »

“Let’s quit pretending everyone can afford cable television. There’s passion among the people for OETA. And you’ll feel that passion in the next election if you keep treating the people this way.”

-Rep. David Dank, R-Oklahoma City, concerned that a bill to slash OETA funding would take away critical educational programming for young children
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 02:32:42 pm »

-Rep. David Dank, R-Oklahoma City, concerned that a bill to slash OETA funding would take away critical educational programming for young children

Wow, an Oklahoma Republican said that?

Good for him.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 02:43:43 pm »

Wow, an Oklahoma Republican said that?

Good for him.

Some of them aren't backwards thinking hillbilly redneck racist sexists who are frightened by anyone outside their own faith.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 02:49:27 pm »

Some of them aren't backwards thinking hillbilly redneck racist sexists who are frightened by anyone outside their own faith.

Which means if he runs for reelection, he'll likely be voted out...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 02:51:46 pm »

Which means if he runs for reelection, he'll likely be voted out...

Well yes, now that he's outed himself.
davideinstein
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 03:12:00 pm »

Not all Republicans are vindictive.
takemebacktotulsa
Citizen

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 09:37:30 am »

So, I don't post on this forum very often (I read it everyday), but I have to chime in on this whole anti agenda 21 thing...

So the anti agenda 21 bill "would prohibit any city, town or county from adopting or implementing policy recommendations established by the United Nations Agenda 21". This would make it illegal for OKC to build their streetcar system. It would also make it illegal for tulsa to get a streetcar system. It would make certain kinds of zoning illegal, more specifically the kinds of zoning that are pedestrian friendly. It would make it illegal to make more bike paths.

So I guess my big question is why aren't people more vocally opposed to this legislation? Especially the officials in okc who want a streetcar?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 11:46:08 am »

So, I don't post on this forum very often (I read it everyday), but I have to chime in on this whole anti agenda 21 thing...

So the anti agenda 21 bill "would prohibit any city, town or county from adopting or implementing policy recommendations established by the United Nations Agenda 21". This would make it illegal for OKC to build their streetcar system. It would also make it illegal for tulsa to get a streetcar system. It would make certain kinds of zoning illegal, more specifically the kinds of zoning that are pedestrian friendly. It would make it illegal to make more bike paths.

So I guess my big question is why aren't people more vocally opposed to this legislation? Especially the officials in okc who want a streetcar?

Because it's Oklahoma...even if it is something they really want, need and is good, it will be voted against if it isn't right wing extremist...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 11:42:33 pm »

Workfare coming to Oklahoma?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=504&articleid=20130325_504_0_OKLAHO194901

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 10:37:57 am »

Conservative Think Tank Urges Deep Income Tax Cut

http://kwgs.com/post/conservative-think-tank-urges-deep-income-tax-cut

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Accompanied by Republican lawmakers, a conservative think-tank has released a proposed budget that supporters say outlines a way to cut the state's income tax by one-half of 1 percent without reducing funding to core government services.

The Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs released its annual budget book on Monday.

Officials with OCPA praised Gov. Mary Fallin and House Speaker T.W. Shannon for efforts to reduce the top personal income tax rate from 5.25 percent to 5 percent. But they said Oklahoma could afford to cut the rate even further by eliminating funding for several state programs and overhauling the health benefits package for state workers.

The conservative think-tank recommended eliminating funding altogether for state agencies like the Oklahoma Arts Council and Oklahoma Educational Television Authority.

Working to reduce intellect in the state in order to retain power.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 05:39:11 pm »

Conservative Think Tank Urges Deep Income Tax Cut

http://kwgs.com/post/conservative-think-tank-urges-deep-income-tax-cut

Working to reduce intellect in the state in order to retain power.

I will gladly exchange being a little dumber when it comes to the arts and Big Bird to reduce taxation. If you want Big Bird or the like, get a subscription to hulu or netflix, they might have it. 

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org