A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:24:34 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here blizzard, blizzard, blizzard!  (Read 72917 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2013, 03:11:44 pm »

Our good neighbor QuikTrip spiked the price of gasoline 15 cents in anticipation of our first big winter storm, and since this is supposed to be more of an ice event, get ready to pat AEP on the back for burying so many power lines after the last big one.

About the only positive thing about loosing your power in winter, is you can move most of your refrigerated goods outside.  Grin

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »

I upgraded my generator last spring. I figure now that I spent the money on something I can run the whole house on, I’ll never need it.  Doesn’t it always work that way?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2013, 05:05:38 pm »

Our good neighbor QuikTrip spiked the price of gasoline 15 cents in anticipation of our first big winter storm, and since this is supposed to be more of an ice event, get ready to pat AEP on the back for burying so many power lines after the last big one.

About the only positive thing about loosing your power in winter, is you can move most of your refrigerated goods outside.  Grin

Simma down...the ice won't be that bad tonight.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2013, 05:59:54 pm »

I upgraded my generator last spring. I figure now that I spent the money on something I can run the whole house on, I’ll never need it.  Doesn’t it always work that way?

Did you get one that's permanently wired and plumbed (natural gas)?

joiei
City Father

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2013, 11:40:32 pm »

Curious, I filled my tank for 2.86 a gal at the one on Yale nr 51st after 9:45 tonight. Which QT do you live near so I can avoid it. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2013, 11:58:49 am »

Curious, I filled my tank for 2.86 a gal at the one on Yale nr 51st after 9:45 tonight. Which QT do you live near so I can avoid it. 

Did you happen to notice what it was 24 hours earlier?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2013, 12:11:28 pm »

Did you happen to notice what it was 24 hours earlier?

It was between 2.76 and and 2.79, depending on your location.  It's not unheard of for gas to get a 10 to 15 cent bump overnight.  Do people like it?  No.  Is it a grand conspiracy by QT?  Not likely.  C stores don't make much if any profit on gasoline sales.  I know, I was in the business for several years.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2013, 03:54:54 pm »

Just curious, I recall a couple of weeks ago after the mayoral election a poster on here  (jokingly I presume) noted that QT spiked their prices as spite for their candidate not winning.  Now they were cited for raising prices again yesterday.  Since the entire market does the same, is QT singled out because it is the local kid?  An inquiring new member would like to know.....

Incidentally, I did stop at one in Georgia the other day and the quality of service and cleanliness clearly stood out compared to whatever else they call a C-store down there.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2013, 05:08:59 pm »

Just curious, I recall a couple of weeks ago after the mayoral election a poster on here  (jokingly I presume) noted that QT spiked their prices as spite for their candidate not winning.  Now they were cited for raising prices again yesterday.  Since the entire market does the same, is QT singled out because it is the local kid?  An inquiring new member would like to know.....

Incidentally, I did stop at one in Georgia the other day and the quality of service and cleanliness clearly stood out compared to whatever else they call a C-store down there.

QT does that pretty regularly.  10 to 15 cent gas spikes, then it draws down 1 to 2 cents at a time.  It typically falls in line with the wholesale price of gas, however.  They also react to large jumps in the price of oil, but not so much in reductions.

QT sets the price for all others simply because they essentially own the market.  The only one I know of that doesn't (or didn't) follow QT's lead was Shell.  We all know where they've gone in the last five years.

Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2013, 06:26:53 pm »

So if I understand correctly, then QT is the first here to adjust prices as the local market leader and the rest follow simultaneously in lock step to their actions? 

Of course markets everywhere follow the same large upward price spike with disproportionately lower decreases in response to wholesale actions.  It's not as easy to identify a clear market leader in many other areas (as QT is here) that is setting the market. 

A few years before prices escalated to today's levels there was some type of federal regulation to prevent gouging that capped single increases to no more than 10% of the price per gallon.  However, as the prices began to approach $3 gallon, 30 cent jumps or more were not uncommon.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »

Simma down...the ice won't be that bad tonight.

If you dont count a helicopter making an emergency landing in Claremore because it iced over...

...and those gas prices; ten-cent spikes were unheard of here before Hurricane Katrina. 

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2013, 08:39:33 pm »

If you dont count a helicopter making an emergency landing in Claremore because it iced over...

...and those gas prices; ten-cent spikes were unheard of here before Hurricane Katrina. 

Was that helicopter by any chance black?

Just sayin'

Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2013, 09:32:00 pm »

Well maybe QT jacked up prices Friday in hopes that there headquarters expansion announcement would be so well received that no one would be upset at the pumps. 

Anyways, good news to hear that they will add 200 jobs to their 500 at hqtrs and expand the space by 80K sq ft.  It would have been nice to see them move downtown although it is certainly less expensive to expand at the current location.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2013, 11:09:25 pm »

Was that helicopter by any chance black?

I heard it was purple, looks black in the right backlight.

Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2013, 11:12:34 pm »

The only one I know of that doesn't (or didn't) follow QT's lead was Shell.  We all know where they've gone in the last five years.

Of course Shell (formerly Texaco) was always the high price spread in town.  Texaco used to set the price in Tulsa.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org