A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:56:46 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great News on Jobs  (Read 2408 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:28 am »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_UNEMPLOYMENT_BENEFITS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-03-07-08-59-06

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of Americans seeking unemployment aid fell to a seasonally adjusted 340,000 last week, driving down the four-week average to its lowest level in five years. The drop is a positive sign ahead of Friday's report on February job growth.

Applications for benefits fell 7,000 in the week ended March 2, the Labor Department said Thursday. And the four-week average, a less volatile measure, dropped to 348,750. That's the lowest since March 2008, just a few months into the Great Recession.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:46:48 pm »

Unemployment down to 7.7%.  Some 5.5 mlion jobs added since the slide stopped in late 2009. DJIA at a record high. GDP growing. Federal spending going down significantly.

Listening to some reports the economy has been run into the ground and we are all doomed.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:07 pm »

Unemployment down to 7.7%.  Some 5.5 mlion jobs added since the slide stopped in late 2009. DJIA at a record high. GDP growing. Federal spending going down significantly.

Listening to some reports the economy has been run into the ground and we are all doomed.

Where's the claim from other sources that 8.5mm less jobs exist since before the recession began coming from then?  U-6 is still 14+%.  That's definitely no good.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:40:45 pm »

Where's the claim from other sources that 8.5mm less jobs exist since before the recession began coming from then?  U-6 is still 14+%.  That's definitely no good.

8.5 millimeters?
 Grin

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:25:14 am »

We are 3 mil behind our peak employment, so employment has NOT recovered entirely.  Since we added population in that time also we need still more jobs.  Bit anyone saying we are still down 8mil jobs is off base.

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/employment/us/

The economy is gaining steam.  Last querter we absorbed a huge drop in government spending.  We should he set to again do the same. Unemployment at 7+% is too high, but really we don't want it much below 5% and we are heading there.  I know Fox can't just come out and say it, but many of the indicates are lining up to shown positive signs.

The boom is jot back, bit I can smell it!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:36:25 am »

Many of those jobs existing in 2008 are never coming back. They are local and state jobs simply erased. What conservatives refer to as government waste I guess. Now the teaching corps, a huge base of employment, are under assault by online and for profit entities who ally with the state legislatures to neuter teachers unions and free up state budgets (while strengthening their private investments). Don't forget this state's legacy of legislators who profited handsomely from regulating nursing homes and mental facilities.

And many of those workers from 2008 have moved to self employment, volunteerism or early (forced) retirement. They are learning to live on less as well. Selling their homes and investments to survive. The buying power of that generation has been diminished which makes any upturn in the economy and employment even that much surprising. I recently received a negative response from the last (appropriate to my education) job application I will ever make. A job I could not have been more qualified for yet never got to interview for. Waste of time. Its clear that this country has turned a deaf ear to age related discrimination.

The focus now is moving the assets of the boomer generation into the hands of the next generations without re-igniting their passions for rebellion.

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org