A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:40:32 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Camille's empire copes with setbacks" and TW gets spanked  (Read 53462 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2014, 01:49:15 pm »

Well I'm not surprised.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage3/table-talk-rex-s-chicken-to-close-tuesday-seek-new/article_9b318600-f390-50b9-8dfe-b514fa09d71c.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:18 pm »

What road construction?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2014, 02:03:44 pm »

What road construction?

Widening Memorial to six lanes? When did that finish? 2011?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2014, 03:43:43 pm »

“The location has been challenging for a while because of parking, access and ultimately road construction,” Rutkauskas said.

By my count there are about 8x the number of empty parking spots that particular restaurant needs. Especially around lunch and dinner when there is no one there.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »

Widening Memorial to six lanes? When did that finish? 2011?

111th east of Memorial is being widened.  If that's their excuse, it's pretty weak.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2014, 07:22:36 pm »

I blame the fact they didn't have mashed potatoes, reviewers said the chicken tasted nothing like Rex's, and it's run by David Rucksack.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 07:14:06 am »

LindaMar Drive-in has the closest thing you'll find to the original Rex's boneless chicken.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 07:38:31 am »

I blame the fact they didn't have mashed potatoes, reviewers said the chicken tasted nothing like Rex's, and it's run by David Rucksack.

Well it's tough to take someone else idea and make it just as good. Ask Shotgun Jim.  Grin

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 07:53:21 am »

I was driving west on turnpike Sunday evening and there was a big wreck west of Stroud, leading to getting off the big road and taking a nice little tour along the Mother Road - Route 66.  Got back on at Chandler, but before I did, stopped at Ken's Pizza for a bite.  Nice.  The air conditioner had been broken all day, so the inside was brutal - probably about 105 to 110 degrees - warmer than outside that day (High 101 or so).  But the pizza was good.  It was not the same as the original Ken's - the sauce has changed, and the cheese was good, but also different from the old days.  (Value engineered...)

All in all, decent pizza and very nice nostalgic interlude along The Road!

All things considered - better overall experience than Shotgun Sam's with A/C.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 08:04:50 am »

Well it's tough to take someone else idea and make it just as good. Ask Shotgun Jim.  Grin

Even if you do, even if you make it better, it is nearly impossible to compete with ghosts.  People's memories of favorite places, foods and experiences are always more magical.  Over time, these favorites become mythical, and are remembered as far better than they actually were.  

Rule #1 is restaurant conceptualization:  Never attempt to resurrect ghosts.

New restaurant concepts have plenty of competition for the consumer to make tangible comparisons against, without setting themselves up to compete with myth.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 08:32:41 am »

Even if you do, even if you make it better, it is nearly impossible to compete with ghosts.  People's memories of favorite places, foods and experiences are always more magical.  Over time, these favorites become mythical, and are remembered as far better than they actually were.  

Rule #1 is restaurant conceptualization:  Never attempt to resurrect ghosts.

New restaurant concepts have plenty of competition for the consumer to make tangible comparisons against, without setting themselves up to compete with myth.

He was banking on built in customers without having to advertise. Then the overwhelming response with his incompetence was almost his undoing.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2014, 09:37:45 am »

LindaMar Drive-in has the closest thing you'll find to the original Rex's boneless chicken.

People in West Tulsa rave about LindaMar. I haven't tried the chicken yet but love their giant cheeseburgers. Reminds me of the Wheelburgers at the old Chuckwagon on 11th.

onward...through the fog
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2014, 10:34:18 am »

People in West Tulsa rave about LindaMar. I haven't tried the chicken yet but love their giant cheeseburgers. Reminds me of the Wheelburgers at the old Chuckwagon on 11th.

40+ years in the same spot. Last time I had food from there was in the mid 90's and it was still as good as the first time in 1971.

Have to agree with Gaspar about not competing with ghosts.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:38:16 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2014, 12:35:09 pm »

40+ years in the same spot. Last time I had food from there was in the mid 90's and it was still as good as the first time in 1971.

Have to agree with Gaspar about not competing with ghosts.

They're opening a new spot in the old Ike's location on Admiral - sign is up and all.  No info on when though.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2014, 12:43:07 pm »

They're opening a new spot in the old Ike's location on Admiral - sign is up and all.  No info on when though.

Linda-Mar?  Srsly?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org