A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:06:07 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma's State Capital Building is Crumbling  (Read 54102 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »

Foundation damaged by earthquake?

Shhhh, the Lortons will want to tear it down!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 01:00:37 pm »

Oklahoma Capitol Could Receive $160 Million Face Lift

http://kwgs.com/post/oklahoma-capitol-could-receive-160-million-face-lift

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma's nearly 100-year-old Capitol could receive a $160 million face lift under a measure given final approval by the Oklahoma Senate.

The bill approved 36-11 on Thursday authorizes a state bond issue to pay for the repairs, a financing method that is expected to face stiff resistance in the increasingly conservative House.

Several Democrats questioned why Senate leaders didn't consider tapping the state's Rainy Day Fund, which currently has a balance of $535 million.

Oklahoma City Republican Sen. Greg Treat says authorizing a bond issue is a fiscally responsible way to pay for the badly needed repairs.

Yellow barricades have been erected in front of the building to prevent pedestrians from nearing where chunks of limestone have fallen from the building's facade.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 01:10:49 pm »

Oklahoma Capitol Could Receive $160 Million Face Lift

http://kwgs.com/post/oklahoma-capitol-could-receive-160-million-face-lift

They will just use it to build a 780ft tall monument of the ten commandments.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 01:29:17 pm »

They will just use it to build a 780ft tall monument of the ten commandments.

That's apparently what the OK state capital is.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 02:06:17 pm »

How many people work in the State Capital building? 

First off when you talk about the historic and or artistic importance of (just tax credits even) repairing buildings in Tulsa like the Tulsa Club for instance, conservatives point out that this is not what government tax dollars should be concerned with. 

So going with that kind of thinking, I don't think there should be any similarly irrelevant historic or artistic "sentiment" applied to the Capital Building either.  The proper functions and concerns of government would work better imo in a smaller, energy efficient, less expensive building.  It would likely cost less to build a new, modern office building and maintain that than to repair this old building and maintain it.  If your going to say your fiscally conservative, smaller government etc. then you can't just apply that to things others want and not to things you want.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 02:15:00 pm »

The proper functions and concerns of government would work better imo in a smaller, energy efficient, less expensive building.  It would likely cost less to build a new, modern office building and maintain that than to repair this old building and maintain it.  If your going to say your fiscally conservative, smaller government etc. then you can't just apply that to things others want and not to things you want.

Perfect, and well stated. There is plenty of lease space in downtown OKC that would serve them well.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 05:35:50 pm »

I think our local legislators should fight against this unless we get something in return, cause basically as I see it, in effect OKC is getting a hundred million plus boost to their economy (employing construction workers, contractors, and getting to keep a "historic/architectural/art attraction" etc.) and a good chunk of that money will come from the Tulsa area.  It's not going to do us a danged bit of good here in Tulsa, and it will cost us… sooo… where is our bit?  What are they going to do for us in a like manner?  How much ya wanna bet nothin?  We just get screwed again while they laugh at us for letting them.  And knowing them just to rub salt in the wound they might at the same time vote to sell the rail line to Tulsa lol.  

I think it would be nice for us to get say 30 or 40 mill as our part to get the OK Pop museum going as one idea.  Or, even better, that amount in interest free loans from the state to get some of our historic buildings rehabbed into useable office or living/retail spaces would be a nice touch.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:45:36 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 06:44:20 pm »

When I was a grade school child I remember a "Weekly Reader" issue that explained how the White House had been burned and rebuilt. Then, much of it later taken down laboriously block by block and rebuilt again because of (what we were told) was foundation issues. The cost each time was borne by taxpayers from Cali to New England without much squawk. Those extant generations understood the common good. Thats gone.

We Okies are so hypocritical. I know Artist is angry that little brother Tulsa keeps getting hind teat. I understand his railing at conservatives for their ignorant behavior. I even understand the failed logic of Gasman's dreams of office buildings spread throughout the state for state business. Its a lovely little naive plan that, like most Libertarian pipe dreams, seems so ....ingenious...at first glance. Hey! Lets outsource the capitol's business to off shore and just do it all by twitter and Facebook? Cool.

I don't understand why nearly all our representatives from this bastion of sophistication are still republicans who sell us down the road every chance they get. Trade for a railroad? That railroad is now destined for freight hauling while the sold out success of passenger trips from Sapalupa to Suburban OKC is still fresh.
And our local mayor is hesitant to sign a nonbinding request to big brother for passenger service that our surrounding cities endorse? Who understands that?

Thank you sir! May I have another?

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 11:51:51 pm »

When I was a grade school child....

I couldn't get passed this. Is this your class picture?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 05:27:43 am »

That's me in the middle, arguing with the instructor. Life was good. We were pioneering the original tablets at the time!

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 12:38:46 pm »

When I was a grade school child I remember a "Weekly Reader" issue that explained how the White House had been burned and rebuilt. Then, much of it later taken down laboriously block by block and rebuilt again because of (what we were told) was foundation issues. The cost each time was borne by taxpayers from Cali to New England without much squawk. Those extant generations understood the common good. Thats gone.

To clarify, are you considering the rebuild of the OK state capital building part of the common good?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 07:14:13 am »

Oklahoma House Defeats Bond Issue to Repair Capitol

http://kwgs.com/post/oklahoma-house-defeats-bond-issue-repair-capitol

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma House has defeated legislation that would authorize up to $160 million in bonds to repair the state's nearly 100-year-old Capitol.

House members voted 62-34 against the Senate-passed measure that is one of Republican Gov. Mary Fallin's top priorities for the 2014 Legislature. The bill's author, Rep. Skye McNeil of Bristow, kept the measure alive by serving notice that she may ask the House to reconsider the vote.

Supporters and opponents agree that the Capitol needs extensive repairs. But they disagree on how to pay for them.

Rep. Paul Wesselhoft of Moore said bonded indebtedness has caused financial problems for other states. Others, including Rep. Ben Sherrer of Choteau, favored taking $160 million from the constitutional Rainy Day fund to pay for the repair
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 07:18:21 am »

Sell the unfinished museum and use the proceeds from that. I hear Guido is looking for a more spacious place to live. Grin
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 07:52:47 am »

I'm thinking this building won't withstand the frackquakes.

Concrete Chunk Falls into Oklahoma Capitol Office

http://kwgs.com/post/concrete-chunk-falls-oklahoma-capitol-office

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma Capitol officials say a piece of concrete crashed through an employee's office after moisture leaked into the basement of the nearly 100-year-old building.

Five employees of the House of Representative's media division were packing up their offices Monday after the mishap occurred sometime during the weekend when the office was vacant.

Office of Management and Enterprise Services spokesman John Estus says that while the incident is unfortunate, it's not surprising. He says the steel rebar holding the concrete in place is likely original to the building that was constructed between 1914 and 1917.

Estus says the basement is in the most desperate need of repair.

The estimated four-pound chunk of concrete dislodged, crashed through a ceiling tile and fell into pieces in the office of House employee Jason Warfe.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 08:58:25 am »

It has been a mess for years, and yet the failed Governor and Legislature can't seem to understand that "common good" thing for the Capital, as well as storm shelters in schools, roads, rail, or infrastructure in general...  but they are ALL about their tax cuts and cutting funds for education!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org