A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:41:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Republican Party seems divided...  (Read 90065 times)
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2022, 07:43:45 am »

Just curious, do you know which part of Georgia?

Forsyth County in North Central Georgia.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2022, 10:32:52 am »

Forsyth County in North Central Georgia.

Pictures of the countryside on Google Maps are nice.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2022, 05:38:22 pm »

Actually no Sooners here either - my lineage on my father's side of the family showed up here in Oklahoma from Missouri in a covered wagon in the 1880s or 1890s and they then trace back to coming over from England in the late 1600s or early 1700s iirc. My mom's side is German and has never lived  in the US.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2022, 02:08:42 pm »

Great Britain on mom's side, middle European on dad's side.  No one in the families lived in Oklahoma until dad accepted a transfer here in 1971 from near Phila, PA.

There was an influx of Sunoco people about that time.  Part of that?

Great granparents on one side got a farm near Stillwater - taking it from some great grandparents on the other side...!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #184 on: March 04, 2022, 04:51:26 pm »

There was an influx of Sunoco people about that time.  Part of that?

Yep.  Had to run Texaco in my car though.  DX premium just didn't cut it.

Great granparents on one side got a farm near Stillwater - taking it from some great grandparents on the other side...!

So you are half criminal and half victim.  Grin

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2022, 01:35:42 pm »

Yep.  Had to run Texaco in my car though.  DX premium just didn't cut it.

So you are half criminal and half victim.  Grin

I bet my Dad worked with yours somewhere along the line.  Downtown?

Absolutely half & half!   "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic....and so am I !!"

Texaco??   Huh...you do know the Texaco was coming out of that same DX refinery over on the west side during that time?  With same additives.  Grandfather worked there selling to stations and jobbers.  Oil, gas, lubes, all the same with some having different dyes added.

And what were you driving that couldn't handle premium from anyone?  That was 96 - 97 back then.  Occasionally find 101 in a couple local small stations.   And why didn't you just back off the advance a little bit to avoid the knock and dieseling...  Could not have been getting that much extra 'performance' out of any of the cars of the day....

I knew some cops here when they had those Easter egg colored Dodge cars.  Ran like dogs - would race a couple of them from time to time and they just couldn't get out of their own way.  They had 440's in them but the city mechanics just couldn't get anything out of them!  Offered to help them some, but they were kinda scared that the mechs would get mad for doing that.  Oh, well...they coulda caught more bad guys!

Had a friend with a Chrysler Newport with the 440 in it.  I 'mildly' tuned it up for him and he was thrilled!  He was an old guy at the time, but after that he didn't have to go get a Corvette!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2022, 02:18:15 pm »

Texaco??   Huh...you do know the Texaco was coming out of that same DX refinery over on the west side during that time?  With same additives.  Grandfather worked there selling to stations and jobbers.  Oil, gas, lubes, all the same with some having different dyes added.

The Texaco refinery didn't shut down until 1982.  I don't know if the Texaco refinery was still making car gas until then or not.
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/1982/08/08/texaco-refinery-shutdown-ends-chapter-of-tulsa-history/62876391007/

I am talking about the period between 1971 and about 1981.  Dad told me the base stock for Texaco was different than the DX.  I have no proof now one way or the other.

And what were you driving that couldn't handle premium from anyone?  That was 96 - 97 back then.  Occasionally find 101 in a couple local small stations.   And why didn't you just back off the advance a little bit to avoid the knock and dieseling...  Could not have been getting that much extra 'performance' out of any of the cars of the day....

'66 Buick Skylark GS with the 400/401 Nailhead and a '69 Buick Skylark GS 350.  Octane rating wasn't the problem.  DX consistently gave about 10 mpg around town and Texaco consistently gave about 12 mpg.  The real kicker was that DX seemed to gum up the carburetors while Texaco did not. When I went back east (Navy) I used Sunoco 240, same as I did before we moved to OK.  Didn't need 260.  Shop manual for the '66 says Octane Requirements were 90 Motor, 99 Research so (R+M)/2 = 94.5

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2022, 06:49:17 pm »

The Texaco refinery didn't shut down until 1982.  I don't know if the Texaco refinery was still making car gas until then or not.
https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/1982/08/08/texaco-refinery-shutdown-ends-chapter-of-tulsa-history/62876391007/

I am talking about the period between 1971 and about 1981.  Dad told me the base stock for Texaco was different than the DX.  I have no proof now one way or the other.

'66 Buick Skylark GS with the 400/401 Nailhead and a '69 Buick Skylark GS 350.  Octane rating wasn't the problem.  DX consistently gave about 10 mpg around town and Texaco consistently gave about 12 mpg.  The real kicker was that DX seemed to gum up the carburetors while Texaco did not. When I went back east (Navy) I used Sunoco 240, same as I did before we moved to OK.  Didn't need 260.  Shop manual for the '66 says Octane Requirements were 90 Motor, 99 Research so (R+M)/2 = 94.5

I can't remember for sure, but seems like they stopped pump gas before that - I will ask around and see if any of the old ones left remember better than I do.  

Nailhead was decent motor and was all Buick, but that Buick 350 was pretty much the same as Old's and Pontiac.  BOP.  My 65 Wildcat had the 425 (Nailhead) in it and even with all that weight, it would go scat pretty good with just a few minor tweaks.  I used Premium in it, since it was so cheap at the time - and I didn't really understand that premium just meant more contaminants to retard combustion.  And make oil get dirty faster.  And gum up carburetor, foul the plugs, and put carbon all over inside the engine.  Ran fine on regular, too, though.  It was always 10 mpg car, even on the highway (mostly 85-95 mph, so there was that...)    Tommy Ivo and "Showboat" is what inspired me to be a Buick fan.  Still looking for a good 65-70 Electra Deuce and a quarter for daily driver!   But I would settle for a 53 Skylark...

My Cutlass 350 used anything and did just fine.  Always 12-13mpg, but when I didn't go fast on highway, much better!  I took a couple of 'test trips' to Dallas where I kept it under 70, and got 22 mpg!  That was amazing!

Had a 61 and 66 Pontiacs with 389.  They both like premium a lot!   And a lot of it!   Early one had the Slim Jim tranny and the later was TH400, IIRC.

Okay....now how can I tie this to the Republicans seeming divided...well, I guess I can't right now.  Let me think about it and will get back with y'all.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 06:54:45 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2022, 01:14:33 am »

Okay....now how can I tie this to the Republicans seeming divided...well, I guess I can't right now.  Let me think about it and will get back with y'all.

You'll think of something.  I'm stumped.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2022, 02:05:40 pm »

One of Oklahoma’s best-known attorneys is asking the Oklahoma Supreme Court to halt the planned special election to replace U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe.

Stephen Jones of Enid filed a petition Monday in which he says the special election would violate the U.S. Constitution’s 17th Amendment, which provides for the popular election of U.S. senators and established precedent regarding special elections.

In short, Jones argues that a vacancy can’t be filled until it actually occurs, and Inhofe doesn’t plan to leave office until Jan. 3.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/attorney-asks-oklahoma-supreme-court-to-halt-special-election-to-replace-inhofe/article_fef7da04-9f24-11ec-9987-3f98882788f6.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2022, 02:41:00 pm »

One of Oklahoma’s best-known attorneys is asking the Oklahoma Supreme Court to halt the planned special election to replace U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe.

Stephen Jones of Enid filed a petition Monday in which he says the special election would violate the U.S. Constitution’s 17th Amendment, which provides for the popular election of U.S. senators and established precedent regarding special elections.

In short, Jones argues that a vacancy can’t be filled until it actually occurs, and Inhofe doesn’t plan to leave office until Jan. 3.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/attorney-asks-oklahoma-supreme-court-to-halt-special-election-to-replace-inhofe/article_fef7da04-9f24-11ec-9987-3f98882788f6.html

That's hilarious!   Wouldn't that be something if Oklahoma actually had to adhere to the US Constitution!!??

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2022, 09:23:32 am »

Im hoping that Republican voters rejection of Stitts appointee may signal an end to Stitt cronyism.

“I was running against the governor and his appointee,” Drummond said from his watch party in Tulsa. “I think what tonight’s vote illustrates is that a majority of people want transparency and accountability.
O’Connor campaigned on pushing back against the policies of President Joe Biden and on ending abortion. Former President Donald Trump had nominated O’Connor for the federal bench, a post he did not get after the American Bar Association said he was not qualified.
Drummond campaigned on being independent of Stitt and improving the state’s relationship with tribes in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s McGirt decision.
Drummond accused O’Connor of taking a backseat to several scandals in the state, refusing to get involved.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/gentner-drummond-defeats-john-oconnor-in-gop-attorney-generals-race/article_7446419a-f6fc-11ec-aae6-3b5fb0b26baf.html

So is Drummond just the lesser evil or would he actually serve all the voters?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2022, 06:06:43 pm »

Im hoping that Republican voters rejection of Stitts appointee may signal an end to Stitt cronyism.

“I was running against the governor and his appointee,” Drummond said from his watch party in Tulsa. “I think what tonight’s vote illustrates is that a majority of people want transparency and accountability.
O’Connor campaigned on pushing back against the policies of President Joe Biden and on ending abortion. Former President Donald Trump had nominated O’Connor for the federal bench, a post he did not get after the American Bar Association said he was not qualified.
Drummond campaigned on being independent of Stitt and improving the state’s relationship with tribes in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s McGirt decision.
Drummond accused O’Connor of taking a backseat to several scandals in the state, refusing to get involved.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/gentner-drummond-defeats-john-oconnor-in-gop-attorney-generals-race/article_7446419a-f6fc-11ec-aae6-3b5fb0b26baf.html

So is Drummond just the lesser evil or would he actually serve all the voters?

The answer to that is in the R or D next to his name at this point.   Take a wild guess!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #193 on: July 04, 2023, 09:09:13 pm »

Speaking of Langford....again.

This dipstick is flaunting his hypocrisy, deceitfulness, and the evil that is in his heart.  Again.

He SAYS...   "My passion for religious liberty really draws from my personal faith, that I have the ability to be able to live my faith, practice my faith and speak about my faith."

And;
"Faith is not the freedom of worship. You have the freedom to be able to worship as you choose," said Lankford. "It's the freedom of religion. It's the freedom to have a faith and live that faith. And so that that's been dear to me."

And most disgusting of all, given the context of how much effort he has spent working to eliminate freedom of religion from any group that isn't "Christian",
"They literally just trampled on her conscience rights," Lankford told the Daily Mail.

You mean like the not-at-all-supreme court trampled on not just the religious rights of several other major world religions, but declared it the business of the government to interject itself into a woman's relationship with her Doctor... in one of the most heinous trampling of rights in decades in this country!  The fascists attacking personal and religious freedoms across the board in the US are much more than a basket of deplorables!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-lankford-claims-biden-admin-not-going-protect-religious-liberty-citizens

« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 09:23:11 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2023, 01:15:52 pm »

Just before elevating her status in the MAGAsphere by treating Congress to dick pics, Marjorie Taylor Greene gave the world this gem:

"Joe Biden had the largest public investment in social infrastructure and environmental programs that is actually finishing what FDR started, that LBJ expanded on, and Joe Biden is attempting to complete," Greene said. "Programs to address education, medical care, urban problems, world poverty, transportation, Medicare, Medicaid, and labor unions - and he still is working on it."

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1681424737384435713?s=20
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/07/19/biden-tweet-marjorie-taylor-greene-fdr-lbj/70429797007/

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org