A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:18:12 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Republican Party seems divided...  (Read 89842 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2013, 02:43:32 pm »

I figured that was what happened last time.

It was like a gaggle of Paul Tay's ran for president on the GOP ticket.

Now that’s not fair to Tay. His IQ is probably higher than the sum of the IQs of the entire Republican field of candidates if you don’t count the two Mormons. He just doesn't always take his meds.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2013, 03:16:30 pm »

Now that’s not fair to Tay. His IQ is probably higher than the sum of the IQs of the entire Republican field of candidates if you don’t count the two Mormons. He just doesn't always take his meds.

Yeah, I retract.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »

Their majority in the house was not of their own doing.  It was the result of public backlash from Obamacare, and a very successful Tea Party movement pushing establishment republicans out of office. Few of the challengers from the Democrat side were willing to acknowledge any support for Obamacare, and those who did could neither explain or defend it. It became an easy campaign target.

In the upcoming election, the subject of Obamacare will continue to be a handicap due to the fact that only 35% of Americans support it.  I expect that Hillary will fully embrace this opportunity to present her own health plan, or revised Obamacare plan, to remove that stigma from her party.  Both parties should welcome this as an opportunity.

As a rule, the Clintons have always been very pro-small business, so I suspect that whatever alterations become part of her platform, they will likely erase the burdens placed on the small business world as a result of Obamacare.

We shall see. There is a long time until the election, and plenty of opportunity for some scandal to limit her viability. Who knows, our special little guy could become president.

I just doubt we will see a Republican president for a while, and if we continue to grow government dependency, perhaps never.

And House Repugs have mistaken a "push-back" as a "mandate"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »

Their majority in the house was not of their own doing.  It was the result of public backlash from Obamacare, and a very successful Tea Party movement pushing establishment republicans out of office.

It was too of their own doing. Gerrymandering is what made the difference. Republican House candidates got fewer votes than Democrats and still got 34 more seats.

The mandate in the House for Republicans is from Republican primary voters, period. This is a real problem because something more than half of Republican voters are certifiably nuts with little care for facts.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2013, 07:07:46 pm »

Our current President of the United States of America is proof that
something more than half of Republican all American voters are certifiably nuts with little care for facts.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2013, 02:02:51 pm »

No, I think Swake has it right:

http://crazyartideas.com/40-most-ridiculous-tea-party-protest-signs-ever/

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2013, 08:28:12 pm »

Keep government out of Medicaid.

Priceless.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2013, 08:42:11 pm »

Keep government out of Medicaid.

Priceless.

Sorry I don't have the heart to click the link...tell me you are kidding

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:42 pm »

Actually, not just one, but two different signs said that.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »

you can't tell me you haven't seen some of those before.

I wonder why some in this movement lament people of intelligence.  Is there something wrong, for them, with people of intelligence?  I'm not talking smarmy intelligence, just people who are simply well-read and do research on things before spouting off like they are Mensas.  I know many conservatives (those on this forum for the most part are) that don't act this way.  I'm not saying there aren't liberals that are like this, it just seems that this particular branch of the Republican party screams this kind of nonsense louder than others.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:09:41 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2013, 09:15:59 pm »

I I'm not saying there aren't liberals that are like this, it just seems that this particular branch of the Republican party screams this kind of nonsense louder than others.

I think for all of us that our own political views make the "other side" craziness seem louder than those on "our side".

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2013, 09:19:11 pm »

I think for all of us that our own political views make the "other side" craziness seem louder than those on "our side".

That's because mainly in this case, it is.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2013, 11:29:53 pm »

The problem with Republicans right now is that the crazy's are in charge. No offense to you, I don't think you are insane, but a current majority of the right IS FRACKING NUTS. If you need proof, review Jim Brindenstein's statements. Yes, our own congressman.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2013, 12:25:48 am »

I guess Weiner, Spitzer, and Filner are not part of the crazies out there.  And people are talking about politicians and IQ without recalling this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1j0FS0Z6ho[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:30:16 am by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2013, 05:13:35 am »

There's a critical difference, Guido, because those you're citing have problems in a personal way. Their problems are not ours, yet the more rabid right wing ideas could have national impact. Equating the two is misguided.

I won't rehash the idea that the far right extremists do a disservice both to the Republican party and the country as a whole. That's been well covered. Instead, I offer a bit of irony from Gilberton, Pennsylvania, whose police chief performed two profanity laced YouTube videos highlighting his profound hatred of liberals, punctuated with automatic weapons firing at a picture of Nancy Pelosi. Sure, I fully support his right to free speech. He has the right to make an azz of himself as do we all. But the irony comes from his supporters, the Constitutional Rights Militia - or some such nonsense - who arrived at a town meeting with weapons in hand to prevent other citizens from entering. The meeting was called to discuss suspending the police chief and despite the armed attemt at intimidation, he was suspended for 30 days. The so-called constitutional defenders are OK with free speech provided it's theirs alone.

Should we regard this as merely another isolated incident? We've seen a rising level of violent rhetoric from the far right fringe along with what are portrayed as isolated acts of violence, yet no one wants to use the correct term - domestic terrorism. The is no similar violent rhetoric or action coming from the left.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org