A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:21:17 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Republican Party seems divided...  (Read 89806 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2021, 06:46:46 pm »

Jr is a sick person.

Came by it "honestly" - genes don't lie!   Much of the time....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2021, 09:30:30 am »

The Party of Trump. The Party of Lincoln is dead.

Almost a third of Republicans believe violence may be necessary to “save” the US, according to a new poll.

Researchers at the Public Religion Research Institute, a nonprofit, found that 30% of Republicans agreed with the statement “Because things have gotten so far off track, true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country”.

Among Americans who believe the 2020 election was “stolen” from Donald Trump, which it was not, 39% believe violence may be required.

The troubling statistics show the post-election rancour that led to the violent insurrection at the US Capitol on 6 January is still very much in place.

Republicans are most likely to believe “true American patriots may have to resort to violence”, PRRI found, with just 11% of Democrats and 17% of Independents agreeing with the statement. Among all Americans, 18% agreed.
PRRI said 2,508 adults, living in all 50 states, were interviewed for the survey between 16 and 29 September.

“It is an alarming finding,” Robert Jones, chief executive and founder of PRRI, told Yahoo News. “I’ve been doing this a while, for decades, and it’s not the kind of finding that as a sociologist, a public opinion pollster, that you’re used to seeing.”

Jones said the responses illustrate the “significant and rapidly increasing polarisation in the United States”.

“As we’ve gotten some distance [from the 6 January], one might hope cooler heads would prevail, but we really haven’t seen that,” Jones said. “If anything, it looks like people are doubling down and views are getting kind of locked in.”

The PRRI poll is not the first to discover an apparent readiness for violence among Republican voters.
In February a survey by the American Enterprise Institute found that 39% of Republicans thought that “if elected leaders will not protect America, the people must do it themselves, even if it requires violent actions”.

Among all Americans, 29% agreed with that statement. Some 31% of independent voters and 17% of Democrats thought violent action might be required.

More than 650 people have been criminally charged for their role in the Capitol attack, in which five people died.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/01/republicans-violence-save-us-poll

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2021, 09:07:27 pm »

I imagine a fair amount of lifelong republicans would like to have their party back again.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2021, 12:02:31 pm »

I imagine a fair amount of lifelong republicans would like to have their party back again.

Just not enough to actually DO something about it....!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2021, 10:44:53 am »

Two Oklahoma congressmen supported Arizona Republican Paul Gosar, who was censured by the U.S. House of representatives on a mostly party-line vote over an animated video that depicted him killing New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez with a sword and then attacking President Joe Biden with it.

First District Congressman Kevin Hern and Fourth District Congressman Tom Cole defended Gosar, although not necessarily the animation, saying his actions were on par with the statements of some Democrats who have not been censured.

Hern claimed Democrats "have made threats, incited violence against political enemies, and minimized actual violence from their political allies."

Republicans in recent years have tried to censure Democrats Maxine Waters and Ilhan Omar, among others, for provocative statements. None has explicitly called for violence, however.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/d-c-digest-hern-cole-defend-gosar-after-house-censure-over-violent-video/article_7ce320dc-4957-11ec-9553-9b7ed2d5a80c.html

This is who our Oklahoma delegation is supporting:

Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) appears to be relishing the backlash over his decision to share a violent murder fantasy on Twitter even after the move got him formally censured by the House.

Just hours after he was stripped of all committee assignments on Wednesday, the Arizona Republican took to Gettr to share a meme boasting that he’d gained some kind of “thug life” cred. The “Gosar Life” meme featured a photo of the lawmaker with dark sunglasses and an oversize gold chain superimposed over him—along with a supposed joint sticking out of his mouth.

He captioned the meme “can’t keep me down” and in an accompanying video accused Democrats of attempting to “take away my America First agenda.” It was not immediately clear what the “America First agenda” had to do with the anime video he shared that depicted him murdering Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY).

He has refused to apologize for sharing the video and blamed his own staff for posting the violent clip, which he claimed was an innocent depiction of a “policy battle.”

He then retweeted the video late Wednesday, even as his own family condemned him for it—with his brother calling for his expulsion and even suggesting criminal charges.

“I believe he’s dangerous, unhinged, and is reckless,” Tim Gosar told MSNBC in the wake of the House censure. “And is somebody that, as I’ve said before, needs to not only be censured but he needs to be expelled.”

He said criminal charges should be brought if authorities deem them to be warranted.

“To be honest with you, it is about time,” Jennifer Gosar told MSNBC, calling the anime video shared by her brother “sinister” and “bone-chilling.”

She said the video marked an “escalation” in the lawmaker’s incendiary antics, noting that “this is not the first time my brother has threatened the life of representatives.”

Several of Paul Gosar’s siblings have spoken out against him in recent years as he has gone further and further off the rails. Just a month after inciting Trump supporters ahead of the deadly Jan. 6 Capitol riot and reportedly offering a “blanket pardon” to Stop the Steal organizers, Gosar spoke at a far-right, white-nationalist convention.

He was accused directly of orchestrating the attempted Capitol insurrection by three of his siblings, including Jennifer and Tim Gosar, in a video aired on Fox News this year that called for “criminal consequences.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/paul-gosar-boasts-of-his-thug-life-cred-as-his-own-family-demands-his-ouster-over-violent-murder-video

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2022, 04:34:50 pm »

Inhofe to resign

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/24/us/politics/jim-inhofe-senate-retirement.html

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2022, 04:38:21 pm »

Wow
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2022, 09:28:56 am »

Wow

I've heard that he's been having some medical issues as of late, but why would he wait this long to do it officially if that were the case?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2022, 11:10:44 am »

I've heard that he's been having some medical issues as of late, but why would he wait this long to do it officially if that were the case?

Because he's a stubborn arsehole.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2022, 12:52:49 pm »

I second what tulsabug said - he is an a$$hole.

That's ok, Okies will have Langford to take up the slack.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2022, 01:50:39 pm »

Also on the list of replacements...

U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe officially announced his retirement at a press conference on Friday and endorsed his former chief of staff Luke Holland in the race for his open seat.
Holland did not refer to President Joe Biden as “president” while announcing his candidacy. When asked by The Frontier if he believes Biden to be the duly elected president, Holland did not answer the question and started talking about election integrity.

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories/contenders-for-oklahomas-open-senate-seat-face-a-crowded-race/

And then this guy...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 01:41:16 pm by patric » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2022, 11:27:21 am »

Inhofe did not attend a press event about his announcement in Oklahoma City on Friday because he had “a mild case of COVID,” Holland said on his boss' behalf.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/oklahomas-inhofe-confirms-resigning-us-senate-seat-83108694

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2022, 10:26:10 pm »

Inhofe has done some good things for aviators.  He also adds some balance to people like Pelosi (yes, I know she is in the House and Inhofe is a Senator).

I'm not fond of Langford but I cannot change the Republican party by deserting it.  One vote at a time....  If I don't like the candidate in the general election, I can vote Democratic.  :-(

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2022, 09:50:32 am »

Inhofe has done some good things for aviators.  He also adds some balance to people like Pelosi (yes, I know she is in the House and Inhofe is a Senator).

I'm not fond of Langford but I cannot change the Republican party by deserting it.  One vote at a time....  If I don't like the candidate in the general election, I can vote Democratic.  :-(

I have a friend who's an air traffic controller who said the Tulsa airports have a internal folder on all the air violations Inhofe has done (these are not the ones you've actually heard about like landing on the wrong runway and such). Inhofe used his power to make sure he never got any punishment from the FAA for these infractions for which anyone else would have lost their license. He's as self-serving and corrupt as they come. Unfortunately it sounds like every Republican vying to replace him is just as bad if not worse. There is no changing the Republican party at this point - they're gone. When fricking Liz Cheney isn't crazy conservative enough for them then where are they exactly? It's the Klan in 3-pc suits now - nothing else.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2022, 02:19:22 pm »

I have a friend who's an air traffic controller who said the Tulsa airports have a internal folder on all the air violations Inhofe has done (these are not the ones you've actually heard about like landing on the wrong runway and such).

It would be interesting to see that folder.  Do they have internal folders on all the local pilots?  I'm sure that Inhofe is not on the FAA's favorite pilot list.  Have you ever had a police/trooper car follow you until you make a mistake?

Inhofe used his power to make sure he never got any punishment from the FAA for these infractions for which anyone else would have lost their license. He's as self-serving and corrupt as they come.

I'm sure those characteristics are abundant in Congress and that they cross party lines.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org