A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:04:52 am
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260375 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #480 on: April 07, 2021, 06:03:54 pm »

And there you have it.

Wow.  Just wow.

...the people that empower the people that embarrass us on the national stage.
Lots more where that came from.

Outlawing abortion is more important than abolishing slavery was in the 19th century, a state lawmaker in step with the anti-abortion
rights activists known as abolitionists said Wednesday.

"This is a cause of even greater significance," said Rep. Jim Olsen, R-Sallisaw, in presenting Senate Bill 612, by Sen. Nathan Dahm, R-
Broken Arrow, to the House Public Health Committee on Wednesday.
Olsen also compared legal abortion to the Holocaust and implied that abortion is worse, at least in terms of deaths.

SB 612 is the Senate version of similar legislation carried by Olsen on the House side. It seeks to criminalize all abortion except to
save the life of a woman and admittedly runs contrary to prevailing federal court decisions.
"Will it be thrown out? Yes, that is a possibility," said Olsen. "But I refer back to the case of (William) Wilberforce in Great
Britain."

Olsen said outlawing abortion is even more important than ending slavery because "it deals with ending innocent life."
When pressed on the matter by Rep. Ajay Pittman, D-Oklahoma City, Olsen said, "None of us would like to be killed. None of us would like
to be a slave. If I had to choose, I'd rather be a slave."

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/state-representative-says-outlawing-abortion-is-more-important-than-ending-slavery/article_1d3dff92-97bb-11eb-a43a-3b759e0995b6.html

As the trial of a former Minneapolis police officer accused in the killing of George Floyd captures the nation’s attention, a Tulsa lawmaker wants to know why the Oklahoma Legislature won’t even talk about a proposal to ban choke holds on suspects.

House Bill 2915, written by Rep. Regina Goodwin, D-Tulsa, says “under no circumstance” shall a police officer or corrections officer be authorized to use a choke hold. After Floyd’s death, the Minneapolis City Council banned choke holds. Similar bans are in place in Denver, Dallas, Houston and Washington, D.C., as well as California and New York state.

But the Oklahoma Legislature won’t even talk about it. Goodwin’s bill didn’t get a committee hearing, one of five police reform bills she offered this year that didn’t get any consideration.

Other proposals that never got heard include a requirement that police body cams not be turned off to prevent the creation of evidence, creation of a statewide database and report on police use of force, putting police officer discipline issues outside collective bargaining agreements, and removal of qualified immunity as a defense for police officers liable for violating civil rights or failing to intervene when they see other officers violate civil rights.

https://tulsaworld.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-legislature-turns-blind-eye-to-choke-hold-bill-and-other-police-reform-proposals/article_c44fb98e-93af-11eb-a54b-43dc9cd3d778.html  
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/11/politics/maryland-police-reform-laws-override-veto/index.html

Retired police veteran Dave Walker says he sees the problem as it exists today, between the community, police officers, and racism. When it comes to the killing of unarmed black men, Walker says there needs to be change.
“Those situations should never occur, and you can’t say you can train that out of somebody," Walker said. "But we have to go back and look at who we are hiring and how we are training those people we are hiring."

https://ktul.com/news/local/tulsa-lawmaker-pushes-for-police-reform-without-legislative-support

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:17:22 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #481 on: April 08, 2021, 10:13:02 am »

But as far as preventing a virus with the common people who don't have any idea about proper hospital protocols, in an unsterile environment and expecting them to prevent the spread of something.

I guess you missed the part about slowing the spread of Covid to prevent overwhelming the hospitals by stopping the majority of the virus hitching a ride on water droplets in your exhaled breath.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #482 on: April 24, 2021, 09:02:06 am »

State Sen. Nathan Dahm filed legislation to ban the use of paper straws and made sexist and derogatory comments about Vice President Kamala Harris while doing so.

Senate Bill 1065, authored by the Broken Arrow Republican, was filed Thursday in recognition of Earth Day, which is celebrated annually to acknowledge efforts to protect the environment.

In a press release announcing his proposed bill, Dahm criticized what he called “leftist loons” who have prohibited the use of plastic straws in restaurants in some locales.

“You have states like California where the leftist loons have banned plastic straws because they saw a video on social media about a sea turtle,” Dahm said. “So, under the guise of helping the planet, they’ve banned plastic straws, resulting in who knows how many trees now being cut down to make paper straws.”

He went onto attack President Joe Biden, U.S. Sen. Mitt Romney and Harris in an attempt to suggest that they are, in his opinion, somehow as weak as a paper straw.

“I’ve never met a single person who enjoys using a paper straw,” he said. “They fall apart and turn to mush quicker than Joe Biden trying to string together a coherent sentence. They collapse like Mitt Romney under the slightest amount of pressure, and even with Kamala Harris, well, never mind.”

Asked Friday during an interview with a KTUL Channel 8 reporter to explain his Harris comment, Dahm said he was referencing her “vast experience and how she got into politics.” “In talking with some people, one thing that could be said is that, you know, you can’t use a paper straw for a milkshake, but maybe Kamala Harris could because of her vast experience,” said Dahm. The Channel 8 reporter responded that this was “basically an oral sex implication,” and Dahm did not deny that. “And then, even with Kamala Harris as much as she has being celebrated, if you look at how she got her start into politics and different things, there’s things that the media chose not to focus on for the longest period of time,” he said. He said there was “some jocularity” in the press release and in the bill itself and said he realizes that not everyone will appreciate the jokes.In response to feedback, Dahm didn’t back down, writing on Twitter that he wasn’t going to be “politically correct” despite public expectation.

“BREAKING: if you think I’m going to be ‘politically correct’ you need to realize a few things. 1) you obviously know nothing about me 2) you’re in for a bad time 3) I’ve been assured my jokes are hilarious 4) your emotional opinions are irrelevant,” Dahm wrote.

Dahm did not return a call from the Tulsa World seeking comment.

After learning of Dahm’s comments, Senate President Pro Tem Greg Treat condemned them, saying in a statement that he was “disappointed” and that the language used was “misogynistic, disrespectful (and) immature.”

“As the leader of the Senate, I hold senators to a high standard of conduct and decorum, and Senator Dahm completely failed to live up to that standard,” Treat said.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/ba-senator-implies-that-vp-kamala-harris-slept-her-way-into-politics/article_264fcd10-a46b-11eb-b9a8-1bd10c4c3da6.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #483 on: April 24, 2021, 08:06:58 pm »

State Sen. Nathan Dahm filed legislation to ban the use of paper straws and made sexist and derogatory comments about Vice President Kamala Harris while doing so.

Senate Bill 1065, authored by the Broken Arrow Republican, was filed Thursday in recognition of Earth Day, which is celebrated annually to acknowledge efforts to protect the environment.

In a press release announcing his proposed bill, Dahm criticized what he called “leftist loons” who have prohibited the use of plastic straws in restaurants in some locales.

“You have states like California where the leftist loons have banned plastic straws because they saw a video on social media about a sea turtle,” Dahm said. “So, under the guise of helping the planet, they’ve banned plastic straws, resulting in who knows how many trees now being cut down to make paper straws.”

He went onto attack President Joe Biden, U.S. Sen. Mitt Romney and Harris in an attempt to suggest that they are, in his opinion, somehow as weak as a paper straw.

“I’ve never met a single person who enjoys using a paper straw,” he said. “They fall apart and turn to mush quicker than Joe Biden trying to string together a coherent sentence. They collapse like Mitt Romney under the slightest amount of pressure, and even with Kamala Harris, well, never mind.”

Asked Friday during an interview with a KTUL Channel 8 reporter to explain his Harris comment, Dahm said he was referencing her “vast experience and how she got into politics.” “In talking with some people, one thing that could be said is that, you know, you can’t use a paper straw for a milkshake, but maybe Kamala Harris could because of her vast experience,” said Dahm. The Channel 8 reporter responded that this was “basically an oral sex implication,” and Dahm did not deny that. “And then, even with Kamala Harris as much as she has being celebrated, if you look at how she got her start into politics and different things, there’s things that the media chose not to focus on for the longest period of time,” he said. He said there was “some jocularity” in the press release and in the bill itself and said he realizes that not everyone will appreciate the jokes.In response to feedback, Dahm didn’t back down, writing on Twitter that he wasn’t going to be “politically correct” despite public expectation.

“BREAKING: if you think I’m going to be ‘politically correct’ you need to realize a few things. 1) you obviously know nothing about me 2) you’re in for a bad time 3) I’ve been assured my jokes are hilarious 4) your emotional opinions are irrelevant,” Dahm wrote.

After learning of Dahm’s comments, Senate President Pro Tem Greg Treat condemned them, saying in a statement that he was “disappointed” and that the language used was “misogynistic, disrespectful (and) immature.”

“As the leader of the Senate, I hold senators to a high standard of conduct and decorum, and Senator Dahm completely failed to live up to that standard,” Treat said.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/ba-senator-implies-that-vp-kamala-harris-slept-her-way-into-politics/article_264fcd10-a46b-11eb-b9a8-1bd10c4c3da6.html

Why not just ban straws altogether?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 08:09:47 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

whoatown
Activist

« Reply #484 on: April 27, 2021, 09:39:03 am »

Looks like Stitt signed off on the 2nd Amendment sanctuary state bill. 
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #485 on: April 27, 2021, 09:54:47 am »

Looks like Stitt signed off on the 2nd Amendment sanctuary state bill. 

How very "constitutional" of him. Republicans love the constitution until they have to follow it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #486 on: May 08, 2021, 02:54:42 pm »

Dahm has always been an idiot.   He is an embarrassment to Broken Arrow.   Which already has WAY more than it's fair share...!

But that is BA for ya.  They keep electing him.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
whoatown
Activist

« Reply #487 on: May 08, 2021, 07:37:50 pm »

Dahm has always been an idiot.   He is an embarrassment to Broken Arrow.   Which already has WAY more than it's fair share...!

But that is BA for ya.  They keep electing him.

I don’t remember which candidates he was running against, but it seems to me that he was quite proactive/aggressive in getting elected.

As for Harris’ Vice President, she is not worried likewise about what he is doing.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 07:53:24 pm by whoatown » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #488 on: May 09, 2021, 10:06:12 am »

I don’t remember which candidates he was running against, but it seems to me that he was quite proactive/aggressive in getting elected.

As for Harris’ Vice President, she is not worried likewise about what he is doing.

He takes Inhofe's playbook one step further.  Lies, deceit, say anything about opponent - but especially if not true.  And Broken Arrow laps it up like a kitten lapping milk from a saucer.   And if you go back and look at the things he has introduced, it is true psycho-babble kindergarten time.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #489 on: May 17, 2021, 01:50:36 pm »

The Oklahoma House of Representatives’ latest show of support for Israel encountered passionate opposition on Friday from the Legislature’s only Muslim and from some Democrats who said the state should not be taking sides in that nation’s latest armed conflict with Palestinians.

“What we’re seeing is an ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people,” said Rep. Mauree Turner, D-Oklahoma City, who is Muslim. “I’m trying to understand why we are writing a value statement saying we want to aid in that.”

Rep. Mark McBride, R-Moore
, who introduced House Resolution 1037, seemed taken aback.

“All I know is that I’m a Christian,” McBride said.

“I’m a Christian, too,” said Rep. Regina Goodwin, D-Tulsa. “Can you understand that if you had worded this more fairly … to promote peace and not create a greater divide by picking sides?”

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/oklahoma-house-resolution-on-israel-draws-flak/article_a7c40c72-b4d2-11eb-a244-0f4cb07cac3f.html   https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-oliver-accuses-israel-of-war-crimes-and-apartheid-against-palestinians

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #490 on: May 17, 2021, 04:14:27 pm »

But as far as preventing a virus with the common people who don't have any idea about proper hospital protocols, in an unsterile environment and expecting them to prevent the spread of something.  Nope, more like it's going to spread just like wildfire.  Not any particular communities fault however.  

There is lots of talk about 5G being a quaternary weapon that can cause respiratory problems when it depletes your oxygen/blood level and blame it on corona virus.  And then the solution to take a vax that has a nanobot in it that talks to the 5G tower and a neutralizer that allows you to live as long as you have this bot thing running around inside of you which would also cause a bodily reaction to a foreign object. Nice little scam they have going there.  And I have noticed several new 5G towers crop up in the last few months.  

Do you actually believe that BS thing about "Not any particular communities fault however." ??

It very much IS one particular communities fault.  It is the Anti-vax, anti-mask, psycho unit - tens of millions of them too stupid to breathe and walk at the same time!

There has been a MASSIVE amount of instruction as to how to stop the spread of this - very similar to what other virus' require.  Wear a mask.  Wash your hands.  Doesn't require a whole lot of brains - just more than what the radical extremists on the right have.

And for the truly ignorant - there are several great examples of how to do it properly.  Taiwan being the first.  Even with their "extreme outbreak" (because they got sloppy and lazy, like Okies everywhere) - they have had 700 cases in the last week alone, bringing the entire total for the term of the pandemic to just over 2,000 cases.  Total.   And they are up to over one dozen deaths from covid since the pandemic.

whoatown
Activist

« Reply #491 on: May 21, 2021, 08:00:37 am »

Do you actually believe that BS thing about "Not any particular communities fault however." ??

It very much IS one particular communities fault.  It is the Anti-vax, anti-mask, psycho unit - tens of millions of them too stupid to breathe and walk at the same time!

There has been a MASSIVE amount of instruction as to how to stop the spread of this - very similar to what other virus' require.  Wear a mask.  Wash your hands.  Doesn't require a whole lot of brains - just more than what the radical extremists on the right have.

And for the truly ignorant - there are several great examples of how to do it properly.  Taiwan being the first.  Even with their "extreme outbreak" (because they got sloppy and lazy, like Okies everywhere) - they have had 700 cases in the last week alone, bringing the entire total for the term of the pandemic to just over 2,000 cases.  Total.   And they are up to over one dozen deaths from covid since the pandemic.

Masks are worn in a sterile environment.  Are all these people walking around with masks on in a sterile environment?  Do they have somebody under the knife and wear masks to prevent getting some contaminant into the surgery?

Do vaccines work for people who have already caught the virus?  Or do they just catch the virus all over again?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #492 on: May 21, 2021, 10:46:50 am »

Masks are worn in a sterile environment.  Are all these people walking around with masks on in a sterile environment?  Do they have somebody under the knife and wear masks to prevent getting some contaminant into the surgery?

A lot of us believe masks and social distancing helped slow the spread of Covid19 to reduce hospital overload and to buy time to develop vaccines.  You obviously believe in neither.  What would you have done to reduce or eliminate the spread of Covid19?  You also appear to believe that you have the right to infect others with Covid19.  Perhaps we should give all mask refusers a shot of Covid19 virus, not the vaccine, but a shot of the actual virus.  That would have quickened the arrival at herd immunity.  A lot more people would have died but we could have had herd immunity sooner.  (Not a path I would accept though.)

Do vaccines work for people who have already caught the virus?  Or do they just catch the virus all over again?

Facts about COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines
They cannot give someone COVID-19.

mRNA vaccines do not use the live virus that causes COVID-19.
They do not affect or interact with our DNA in any way.

mRNA never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA (genetic material) is kept.
The cell breaks down and gets rid of the mRNA soon after it is finished using the instructions.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

Are you old enough to remember Polio, Measles, Chickenpox, Mumps and more?  My grandfather survived Smallpox as a kid.  Many did not survive Smallpox.  I was vaccinated against Polio and Smallpox and got neither.  Vaccinations against Measles, Chickenpox and Mumps were not available, I got all three. One of my high school friends had a mild case of Polio which left him with a permanent limp.  Another friend's father had to live in an iron lung after catching Polio.  I remember seeing iron lungs being displayed in places like department store entrances as an incentive to get vaccinated.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #493 on: May 21, 2021, 08:03:13 pm »

While they do work and are worn in a sterile environment, they also work and are worn in non-sterile environments.  Like all manner of workshops.  In public places to slow/stop the transmission of undesirable small items in the air. 

Totally ignorant level of how masks work to disrupt the movement of particles.

Followed by an even MORE ignorant question about and implying that somehow vaccines give people the disease.

You should just take your crayons to a corner, sit down, and color.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #494 on: May 21, 2021, 08:06:55 pm »

Are you old enough to remember Polio, Measles, Chickenpox, Mumps and more?  My grandfather survived Smallpox as a kid.  Many did not survive Smallpox.  I was vaccinated against Polio and Smallpox and got neither.  Vaccinations against Measles, Chickenpox and Mumps were not available, I got all three. One of my high school friends had a mild case of Polio which left him with a permanent limp.  Another friend's father had to live in an iron lung after catching Polio.  I remember seeing iron lungs being displayed in places like department store entrances as an incentive to get vaccinated.

Did you go to school here?  How bizarre would it be that we knew the same kid in school that had mild polio.  Two friends.  My friend was named Danny.  And Greg.  Also have a couple other family members that had it because vaccine wasn't quite available enough at the time....

Here are some iron lung ward pics....

https://www.google.com/search?q=iron+lung+ward&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=9lx-jE8USFyOmM%252CBfIV_6BXIkOTGM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQqNQAtmD4mHnml_ogQXOESWCkg2Q&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5qp-Zm9zwAhWZHc0KHaFiD1YQ9QF6BAgNEAE&biw=1508&bih=931#imgrc=9lx-jE8USFyOmM
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:12:27 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org