A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:50:47 am
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260513 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2016, 08:46:10 am »

And now Okrahoma has joined in the insanity of calling for a constitutional convention.  Like we need another 'can of worms'.

And even Scott Pruitt has a comment about it.... 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomlindsay/2016/05/25/was-americas-1787-constitutional-convention-illegal/#3a51093d382d

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2016, 01:19:36 pm »

Now it comes out that schools have been cut, just not in general funding. In the details of the budget there’s $80 million in new cuts including activities funding, the state department of education and all funding for text books was cut.  The claim of “no new cuts to education” was just a scam and a lie to confuse people that don’t really pay attention.

Thank goodness they were able to maintain the tax cuts on energy production and the rich. We should be thankful we've only had seven earthquakes since Monday. 

The race to the bottom continues. It’s time to remind the legislature that they don’t really just represent the energy industry.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/education/new-details-state-budget-agreement-slashes-funds-for-school-activities/article_4ad00259-1634-5fab-9ba6-3cfc575f723f.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:21:19 pm by swake » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2016, 01:36:43 pm »

Now it comes out that schools have been cut, just not in general funding. In the details of the budget there’s $80 million in new cuts including activities funding, the state department of education and all funding for text books was cut.  The claim of “no new cuts to education” was just a scam and a lie to confuse people that don’t really pay attention.

Thank goodness they were able to maintain the tax cuts on energy production and the rich. We should be thankful we've only had seven earthquakes since Monday. 

The race to the bottom continues. It’s time to remind the legislature that they don’t really just represent the energy industry.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/education/new-details-state-budget-agreement-slashes-funds-for-school-activities/article_4ad00259-1634-5fab-9ba6-3cfc575f723f.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2016, 11:24:26 pm »

Found an interesting re-write of Congressional testimony from the McCarthy era.  Directed at our legislator.

"Until this moment, Senators and Representatives, I think I never really gauged your cruelty, or your recklessness. Little did I dream you could be so reckless and so cruel as to do this deep an injury to this state. It is, I regret to say, equally true that I fear we shall always bear a scar needlessly inflicted by you all. You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sirs, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"

Remember in November!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2016, 06:41:40 am »

You are preaching to the saved. In conversations with these rural legislators they appear to be smug, confident and secure in their beliefs that they are doing the best job possible for their constituents. In fact they may be the best their districts can offer up. Meanwhile, our representatives are overwhelmed in numbers and lack the power to effect change. In fact they may not even be comfortable with the word "change" being such a progressive, liberal, Obama type verb. We are no better, continually electing the likes of Brightenstein, the Red Rooter and Doobie. They don't even run as Republicans anymore. Simply "Conservative".

I have no hope for this state. It is and always has been dominated by fundamentalist religious doctrine lubricated with petroleum interests. There is an outside chance that if enough teachers are elected in the next few years that the ship may right itself but we resemble what is happening in the Canadian north country right now.

onward...through the fog
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #245 on: May 27, 2016, 07:16:13 am »

Wait, I thought we were going to be fine because there is plenty of money and there will not be a budget shortfall. That's what we were all told. Hell, the legislator voted on it and I believe every single Republican confirmed that we would not have a revenue failure so we can go ahead with additional tax cuts and subsidies.

This is a manufactured crisis. Designed and created to make a budget shortfall and thereby give them an opportunity to kill programs they don't like. Environmental quality. Dam inspections (2000 dams and we will be down to 20 inspectors). Higher education. Public education. Mine & Manufacturing safety inspection. Social programs. Find something on the cut list that really pains the right wingers.

Step 1: Cut taxes and give away money
Step 2: Run out of money and pretend to be surprised
Step 3: Destroy programs the party platform speaks out against

I've come up with a translator:

State Rights = ability to be a bigot

Job Creators = most people will be screwed by this legislation

Economic Incentive = corporate welfare

Family Values = being hateful to someone not in my "family"

XYZ is a Priority = XYZ only gets lip service

Fiscally Conservative = tax breaks for the wealthiest, cuts for everyone else, core services fail

Local Control = they're talking about control from OKC, "local" to the state legislators

No additional cuts = you better believe there are additional cuts

Stand on our values = lose another lawsuit

I like conservative government. Real, pragmatic conservative government. One that admits it isn't the answer to all of your problems. That knows it cannot create jobs. One that acknowledges there are core services that it needs to do well to enable the citizens to proposer on their own: education, infrastructure, public safety, and yes - providing a safety net. I will even add aiding in the quality of life of its citizens (parks, museums, libraries, public beauty. These aren't "just" luxuries).  Above all, provide stability.

Pragmatic in that you have to acknowledge that some ideologically driven decisions are stupid. Refusing a billion dollars a year because you hate Obama is stupid. Passing unconstitutional laws that you expect to be thrown out is stupid. Passing hateful symbolic laws that have cost other states measurable GDP is stupid. Spending time during the session to erect religious monuments for the State while waiting for the last day to do the budget is stupid.  In each of those instances, the pragmatic decision is to tackle your ideological issue using other means, because the direct approach only makes your statement, it doesn't help your state.

If the Democrats had all the offices, I'm sure they would be doing stupid crap and I'd be happy to jump them too. But for the last ~ decade in Oklahoma, that hasn't been the case. This is an embarrassment.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2016, 05:25:02 pm »

So when they have a wreck because they are busy playing Rickie Racer and doing their best "Fast And Furious" imitation qualifies as protected status.

A bill signed into law by Gov. John Bel Edwards on Thursday set off a debate over whether the measure was really needed to protect officers, or whether, as civil rights groups charged, it was an effort to dilute the basic meaning of hate crimes and to undermine the movement protesting the use of force by the police. A similar bill is pending in Congress.

“Hate crimes law is based upon a history of discrimination against certain groups of people, and a bill like this just tries to water down that reality, because there is not a history of discrimination against police and firefighters” countered the N.A.A.C.P.

“At some point, someone might suggest that abortion physicians should also be protected...That if you are hunted down because of your profession, whatever the profession, that should be a hate crime.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/us/louisiana-enacts-hate-crimes-law-to-protect-a-new-group-police.html
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2016, 08:32:49 am »

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/28/oklahoma-abortion-transgender-bathroom-bill-mary-fallin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2016, 03:20:33 pm »

Ziva Branstetter with The Frontier takes a stab at just how bad our legislature is.  It’s so bad and corrupt it seems, even shamed and corrupt former governor David Walters is chiming in.

Not quite sure the bathroom encounter at the McDonald’s on the Turner Turnpike between some some mis-guided Christian zealot and a lesbian is really essential to the story, but please stick with it to the end.

Legislature’s focus on ‘dog whistle’ politics harms state, critics say

"You don’t get that much crazy in one day by accident, even in Oklahoma state government," said former Gov. David Walters

Just how far things have gone became clear for Aislinn Burrows and her wife, Carmen, when they stopped at McDonald’s on the turnpike between Tulsa and Oklahoma City recently.

Probably more than half the state has stopped at one time or another at the W. D. “Bill” Hoback Plaza, which has “nice clean bathrooms” according to Foursquare reviews. In recent years, the restaurant was updated with Route 66 art and the bathrooms usually are clean and well-tended.

On this day, however, when Carmen left the car to use the restroom, another woman in the bathroom approached and started asking Carmen if she was male or female. Was she sure she was in the right bathroom?

“I’m a Christian and what you people are doing is wrong,” the woman told Carmen, who is a woman.

“If you’re a Christian, then don’t judge,” Carmen said. Then Carmen told her to take a science class, and left.

The incident left the couple shaken. In a same-sex marriage since 2013, they felt afraid for the first time.

“It was in the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday. It was a very heavily trafficked restroom facility. It was the only restroom facility on the turnpike,” Burrows said. “Someone who would feel it’s completely accessible to come up to someone in a restroom facility and be so confrontational and harassing, it does give us pause for concern.

“What’s the next step? There is no protection for people based on the way they look.”

The next step for the Oklahoma Legislature that week was to attempt to pass a law regulating use of restrooms by transgender Oklahomans not once, not twice, but five times. The bill was repeatedly resurrected and attached to “shell” bills, or bills stripped of original titles and held to resurrect failed legislation.

Its co-author, Sen. Gary Stanislawski, R-Tulsa, didn’t know how his bill would actually work in practice. However he suggested that students opposed to sharing bathrooms with transgender students could use the bathroom in shifts.

stanislawski_bio
State Sen. Gary Stanislawski, R-Tulsa, sponsored a controversial bill to regulate use of bathrooms by transgender students.
The extreme rhetoric at the national level and in states such as North Carolina suddenly erupted at the Oklahoma state Capitol and swept across the state, turning up in websites and social media as well as in pulpits.

For Burrows, the undertone of intolerance emerged at the Hoback Plaza McDonald’s bathrooms.

“I think the negative and harsh rhetoric we are seeing at a national level must be filtering down to state level, especially considering our top officials are being considered for national positions in the GOP,” she said.

Burrows noted that Gov. Mary Fallin is being touted as a possible running mate to presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

Last-ditch efforts to pass the transgender bathroom bill and a bill that would have made abortion a felony have many speculating that the legislative session that concluded last week was out of bounds, even among some who support the governing party. And while many in the Republican-controlled state Legislature preferred to focus on hot-button social issues, perhaps a welcome distraction, the state’s budget was drowning in red ink.

Oklahoma City commentator and consultant Ron Black, whose former WKY talk show skewered many Democrats, said the conservative message has been drowned out by social issues to the detriment of his party.

“The Republicans have failed. And this is my party, man,” Black said. “This is supposed to be the party of fiscal conservative values, and instead they are focusing completely on social issues as a party, and things not critical to the infrastructure of Oklahoma.”

Black said the issues he believes are actually important to the state revolve around the economy and quality of life.

“If you want business to come to Oklahoma, you have to have good jobs, good schools, you’ve got to have good roads and bridges. It’s not about whether it’s a felony to perform an abortion. It’s not about those things, frankly. That will do nothing but cost taxpayers more money.”

Those outside the state are also taking notice of the state’s political climate. In a Sunday editorial titled “Oklahoma Makes the Poor Poorer,” the New York Times lambasted the state’s political leaders.

A story in the Washington Post last week focused on the level of citizens’ anger at Oklahoma lawmakers and quoted one GOP lawmaker who said he was “ashamed” of his party’s focus on the transgender bathroom bill.

Meanwhile, a widely shared Reuters story pieced together an eye-opening expose of how Oklahoma’s generous tax giveaways to the oil and gas industry cost the state $470 million last year. That amount nearly equaled the state’s budget deficit during the 2015 session.

Walters: ‘dog whistle issues’ for base

For former Oklahoma Gov. David Walters, legislation such as the bathroom bill is part of a larger pattern. In addition to comments in the Post story, Walters deepened his explanation of the Legislature’s erratic, end-of-the-year scramble.

“It’s not by accident that in a single day they make abortion a felony, pass a resolution to impeach Obama, and advanced the transgendered bathroom bill, trying to make them (transgender people) more radioactive,” said Walters, a Democrat.

“I think it’s because they had expected and hoped they had gotten a pass because their irresponsible budget policy cut taxes by a billion dollars. … They assumed it would be attributed to another gas and oil cycle. That sorta got found out.”

12189536_10156353938495438_2871307590297588335_n
Former Oklahoma Gov. David Walters
Walters said GOP lawmakers “realized as they were getting tagged with the budget catastrophe.”

“They needed to pull out the old dog whistle issues for their base. You don’t get that much crazy in one day by accident, even in Oklahoma state government.”

Oklahoma State Sen. David Holt, R-Oklahoma City, in that same Post story, said the transgender bathroom bill came up all of a sudden, in the midst of important education funding debates.

“But while students in my district were quite literally marching in the streets to the Capitol to plead with the Legislature to do something about how the budget shortfall will affect their schools, we were addressing something that virtually no one had contacted me about and that was arguably not a pressing issue,” Holt told the Post.

For days, scores of children, educators, parents and other concerned citizens marched on the crumbling Capitol complex in protest, galvanized by more cuts coming to the state’s stressed public education system, culminating in a protest dubbed “Let’s Fix This,” visitors were greeted with a last-minute dodge.

The legislators took a three-hour break.

Educators, parents, students and others converged on the Capitol last week for a protest of state education funding cuts. Photo courtesy of Together Oklahoma
Educators, parents, students and others converged on the Capitol last week for a protest of state education funding cuts. Photo courtesy of Together Oklahoma
For lifelong Oklahoman and award-winning novelist Rilla Askew, the situation was a historic call to action, met with an equally historic rebuke.

“I am really concerned about the deep cuts to education; that’s what got me down there today,” Askew said late last week as the session wound down. “They are driving our state into the ground. That’s the reason I went there.”

The Capitol was awash with youths and adults in red T-shirts, the uniform of the Fix-It movement. However, when the time came for children, parents and educators to meet with their respective representatives, they got a surprise, Askew said.

“When it looked like the people there for the demonstration were going to find their legislator, they canceled the session and told them (the lawmakers) they don’t have to be back until the late afternoon. They just disappeared on us, on the people who came there to demonstrate,” she said.

The House and Senate were not the only places where indifference and even ignorance held sway.

One teacher, Toby Decker, met briefly with Fallin, whom he described as out of touch on one of the more striking pieces of legislation to find its way to her desk: elimination of the EITC, or Earned Income Tax Credit.

The credit is a tax cut specifically for poor working families making less than $25,000 a year. Elimination of the credit has the effect of a tax increase on those families and it passed over the strident pleas of House Minority Leader Scott Inman and others.

Decker said he’d gone to the capitol as part of the education protest. In this case, he visited Fallin’s office to drop off a letter, but managed to catch the governor on her way out.

“I didn’t expect to see her at all,” Decker said.

She was walking with a group of men, a cell phone pressed to her ear. She seemed in a hurry. He spoke up.

“I said, ‘Hi, my name is Toby Decker. I would really like you to consider vetoing the bill the Legislature has passed to eliminate the EITC.’”

Decker said Fallin gave him a blank look for a moment and said, “What is the EITC?”

Asked to oppose a controversial bill that raised taxes on the poor, known as the EITC, Gov. Mary Fallin reportedly told a constituent she didn't know what EITC stood for. Photo courtesy NewsOn6
Asked to oppose a controversial bill that raised taxes on the poor, known as the EITC, Gov. Mary Fallin reportedly told a constituent she didn’t know what EITC stood for. Photo courtesy NewsOn6
“I was completely astonished by her question,” Decker said, but explained to Fallin that he was referring to the Earned Income Tax Credit.

“It dawned on her what I was talking about. I was dumbfounded that she didn’t know what I was talking about.”

Decker explained cutting the EITC would hurt his students, many of whom either have parents who are single working parents—or who themselves are working parents. Fallin may have been caught off-guard by the acronym but she shouldn’t have been if she and the Legislature were going to eliminate the credit to essentially raise taxes on the poor.

“That’s a major bill that’s going to affect thousands of Oklahomans and it’s one way that the Republicans have decided to close the budget hole. … I may have caught her off-guard. But I couldn’t believe she didn’t know what I was talking about. … I definitely think that she is out of touch.”

The Times’ editorial called eliminating the tax credit for poor people “deplorable.”

“After years of enacting generous tax cuts for the wealthy and for the powerful oil industry, however, the Oklahoma Legislature was facing falling revenues and resorted to an assortment of questionable cuts to close a $1.3 billion deficit. None is more regressive than penalizing the working poor.”

The editorial noted that the cut will save the state just $29 million, about 2 percent of its overall budget hole. However, it takes away $312 from a family with three or more children and a parent earning $13,850 annually.

Some GOP lawmakers have said the state can’t afford to sacrifice its dwindling revenues in order to help low-income people make ends meet. Sen. Pro Tem Brian Bingman blamed the media for giving the public the wrong impression that lawmakers are only focused on social issues such as abortion and not on the budget.

Bingman’s comments came hours after lawmakers passed a bill that would have made performing an abortion illegal in Oklahoma. It is highly unlikely such a bill, vetoed by Fallin, would survive a constitutional challenge.

Nobody’s ‘Laffing’ now

University of Oklahoma political scientist Keith Gaddie, a longtime Capitol observer, said the Legislature is running up hard against the reality of the rhetoric individual legislators have been espousing throughout their careers.

“These guys are doing what they said they would run to do. Keep taxes low and cut government,” Gaddie said.

“The problem they are going to run into is, you go from five day a week school to a four-day a week school, and then people have to pay for daycare. Grandma gets sick and the hospital has been closed. The hospice is closed. The nursing home has closed. This is an unprecedented event in turning back public services in the state of Oklahoma.”

Gaddie said the Legislature’s recent behavior is “a step backward to a much more dangerous and less safe time.”

When Fallin signed the state’s tax cut bill into law in May 2013, she announced it would pump $237 million additional dollars into the state economy, unleashing “an important tool for job creation and economic development,” according to her release.

The conservative Oklahoma Council for Public Affairs (OCPA), which lobbied hard for the cuts, lauded the Governor’s move. OCPA invoked the predictions of the plan’s architect, Reaganomics proponent Arthur Laffer.

At the time, Michael McNutt was a reporter for The Oklahoman. Now Fallin’s spokesman, McNutt had penned an interview quoting Laffer in 2011: “It’ll lead to a lot faster growth for Oklahoma. You’ve been a very good performing state … but you still have a way to go to be really superb,” Laffer told McNutt. “Your income tax is your primary deterrent to further economic growth.”

Laffer predicted if Oklahoma eliminated its income tax over the next decade, all boats would be lifted.

“You’ll have more sales, you’ll have more people moving in, property values rising,” he said.

But instead of acknowledging the predictions clearly haven’t panned out, OCPA was at the Capitol again last week, stumping against the Medicaid Rebalancing Act. The act would have included a cigarette tax and expansion of the state’s Medicaid program with federal dollars.

Despite the state’s gaping $1.3 billion budget hole and the act’s bland name — designed to avoid describing what the proposal would actually do — lawmakers defeated the act.

“I think the crassness of it surprises me a bit,” Walters said. “Any of us who have served in public office and make political decisions … that deal on Medicaid is a shocker.”

Walters said the state’s defeat of the Medicaid expansion “is going to cost real lives, thousands of lives in Oklahoma because of their failure to fund health care properly.”

“People are going to die as a result of their irresponsible acts. That’s going to get cumulative. As the error of our electoral ways become apparent, people are going to cycle back and elect serious adults who want to represent Oklahomans instead of some crazy ideology.”

A dramatic shift may not happen this election, Gaddie said, but the problems created by the budget shortfall aren’t going away.

The budget hole was closed with the help of accounting tricks such as transferring $200 million in road funding that will be replaced by bond issue funds. That’s the equivalent of using a high-interest credit card to buy groceries and not paying off the balance for years.

Gaddie and other veteran observers of Oklahoma politics say it’s unlikely voters’ anger will subside just because lawmakers have adjourned.

“It’s a one-year fix. We’re going to be back in the same fix next year. They’ve done nothing to create new sources of revenue,” he said. “We’re going to find out, and they are going to be held accountable.”

Frontier Editor in Chief Ziva Branstetter contributed to this story.

For the Frontier

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2016, 02:37:36 pm »

Remember...

Cutting $80mil in education funding for extra curricular programs and books doesn't count as cutting education funding.

Taking $200 million from an infrastructure fund and then having that fund borrow $200 million doesn't count as borrowing to balance the  budget.

Now, if we just make it so that little "-" symbol and the color red don't indicate a deficit, we are already set for next year.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2016, 11:07:50 pm »

Wait, I thought we were going to be fine because there is plenty of money and there will not be a budget shortfall. That's what we were all told. Hell, the legislator voted on it and I believe every single Republican confirmed that we would not have a revenue failure so we can go ahead with additional tax cuts and subsidies.

This is a manufactured crisis. Designed and created to make a budget shortfall and thereby give them an opportunity to kill programs they don't like. Environmental quality. Dam inspections (2000 dams and we will be down to 20 inspectors). Higher education. Public education. Mine & Manufacturing safety inspection. Social programs. Find something on the cut list that really pains the right wingers.

Step 1: Cut taxes and give away money
Step 2: Run out of money and pretend to be surprised
Step 3: Destroy programs the party platform speaks out against

I like conservative government. Real, pragmatic conservative government. One that admits it isn't the answer to all of your problems. That knows it cannot create jobs. One that acknowledges there are core services that it needs to do well to enable the citizens to proposer on their own: education, infrastructure, public safety, and yes - providing a safety net. I will even add aiding in the quality of life of its citizens (parks, museums, libraries, public beauty. These aren't "just" luxuries).  Above all, provide stability.

Pragmatic in that you have to acknowledge that some ideologically driven decisions are stupid. Refusing a billion dollars a year because you hate Obama is stupid. Passing unconstitutional laws that you expect to be thrown out is stupid. Passing hateful symbolic laws that have cost other states measurable GDP is stupid. Spending time during the session to erect religious monuments for the State while waiting for the last day to do the budget is stupid.  In each of those instances, the pragmatic decision is to tackle your ideological issue using other means, because the direct approach only makes your statement, it doesn't help your state.

If the Democrats had all the offices, I'm sure they would be doing stupid crap and I'd be happy to jump them too. But for the last ~ decade in Oklahoma, that hasn't been the case. This is an embarrassment.

It has been way longer than a decade. 

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2016, 11:23:05 pm »

Ziva Branstetter with The Frontier takes a stab at just how bad our legislature is.  It’s so bad and corrupt it seems, even shamed and corrupt former governor David Walters is chiming in.

Not quite sure the bathroom encounter at the McDonald’s on the Turner Turnpike between some some mis-guided Christian zealot and a lesbian is really essential to the story, but please stick with it to the end.

One of the quotes in that....

"Gaddie and other veteran observers of Oklahoma politics say it’s unlikely voters’ anger will subside just because lawmakers have adjourned.
It’s a one-year fix. We’re going to be back in the same fix next year. They’ve done nothing to create new sources of revenue,” he said. “We’re going to find out, and they are going to be held accountable.”

Gaddie is wrong.  Voter anger will dissipate.  They will forget.   We already "know"....there is nothing new to find out - and we continue to vote the same way over and over.  They are NOT going to be held accountable.  The state has crashed - we are the next Detroit or Flint on a statewide basis.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2016, 11:08:38 am »

Unless and until oil prices rebound. Then, all is forgiven, carry on.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2016, 02:01:53 pm »

Oil has rebounded - almost to the price point that Saudi Arabia has declared for several  years to be their goal.  It's about $50 now.  They - Saudi - have said the long term price will be near $60.  That is their target goal for oil worldwide.

So, with this massive recovery - 165% greater than just a few months ago - why is there not more 'recovery' activity going on?  (I know the answers - these are rhetorical questions to highlight the lies/distortions/BS over the entire oil propaganda 'process'.)

There actually is some 'hidden in plain sight' recovery activity going on in Tulsa area.  There are some oil related companies who are hiring in different STEM areas.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #254 on: June 07, 2016, 06:33:17 am »

Whether the legislators have their tax sources replenished or not, the public will feel the effect of any oil recovery and tend to forget the failure of the state republican regime to govern effectively. Then they will resume their tilting against windmills and pass out the largesse to the top of the pyramid. That is our historical behavior.

onward...through the fog
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org