A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:20:32 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okla Legislature 2nd Worse in Nation  (Read 260545 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:34 am »

Where was the positive thing?

Horse shows.  At least people smile there.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2013, 10:45:35 am »

Horse shows.  At least people smile there.

Im sure the horse groups will fulfill their contracts to have their shows in the state, and as soon as they are up, relocate to a state that doesnt have infectious horses being imported by the truckload.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2013, 10:50:58 am »

Im sure the horse groups will fulfill their contracts to have their shows in the state, and as soon as they are up, relocate to a state that doesnt have infectious horses being imported by the truckload.

Getting stuck in traffic behind a semi full of condemned horses will be a hoot to explain to the kids.

"Yes kids, they do look horrible, malnourished and ill-treated but they'll soon be part of your school's lunch program so it's okay."
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2013, 03:59:16 pm »

I can hardly wait to see what Betty Crocker calls the new "Horseburger Helper" product....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2013, 10:01:49 am »

House approves national health care law “nullification” bill, draws criticism

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-house-approves-national-health-care-law-nullification-bill-draws-criticism/article/3765464

House Democrats criticized a bill Wednesday seeking to prevent enforcement of the national health care law as a political statement, meaningless and a waste of time. House Bill 1021, which also would have the Legislature declare the Affordable Care Act as not being authorized by the U.S. Constitution, easily passed the Republican-controlled House of Representatives mostly along party lines 72-20. It now goes to the Senate. Rep. Kay Floyd, D-Oklahoma City, said voting for the measure could be a violation of lawmakers’ oaths to uphold the state and federal constitutions. The U.S. Supreme Court last year upheld the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2013, 01:21:24 pm »

Legislator Proposes Tests for Elected Officials

http://kwgs.com/post/legislator-proposes-tests-elected-officials

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Elected officials, including state legislators, would have to pass a test indicating their basic knowledge of the office they hold under a plan being proposed by a state lawmaker.

Claremore Republican Rep. Marty Quinn is hosting an interim study Thursday to discuss his idea of improving training requirements for elected county officials, including testing requirements.

Quinn says many professionals in Oklahoma are required to be certified, including hair stylists, teachers, plumbers and restaurant workers. He says it only makes sense that elected officials, including legislators, to be properly trained in their area of work. He says it's particularly important for elected officials to understand matters of public finance.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2013, 02:33:50 pm »

It would be hilarious if Quinn were the first one to fail the test.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2013, 11:22:10 pm »

This would improve Oklahoma's standing:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-27/moguls-rent-south-dakota-addresses-to-dodge-taxes-forever.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2014, 04:43:32 pm »

Oklahoma's Ban On Gay Marriage Ruled Unconstitutional

http://kwgs.com/post/oklahomas-ban-gay-marriage-ruled-unconstitutional

Oklahoma's ban on same sex marriage is illegal, so say a federal court judge. U.S. District Court Judge Terence Kern issued the ruling today. Kern is a justice in the Northern District of Oklahoma, based in Tulsa.

His ruling does not immediately clear the way for same sex marriages in Oklahoma. We are gathering reaction to the story and more information.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2014, 04:45:29 pm »

Oklahoma's Ban On Gay Marriage Ruled Unconstitutional

http://kwgs.com/post/oklahomas-ban-gay-marriage-ruled-unconstitutional

Uh oh, I already hear heads exploding...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2014, 02:47:14 pm »

Seemed like the place to post this  Roll Eyes

In addition to such stellar thinking like open carry for everyone with no permit and outlawing marriage altogether to try and prevent people from getting gay married, now there’s these measures regarding divorce and trying to keep families together via gubmint intervention, in spite of plenty of data which suggests divorce prevention initiatives are failures, at least in Oklahoma:

MUSKOGEE — An Oklahoma state representative has filed a bill that would increase the waiting period for most Oklahoma couples seeking a divorce.

Rep. Arthur Hulbert, R-Fort Gibson, said the measure is aimed at reducing Oklahoma's divorce rate, which is the second-highest in the country, the Muskogee Phoenix reported (http://bit.ly/1hEehKh ). His measure, filed in advance of the legislative session that begins Feb. 3, calls for a six-month waiting period for most divorces.

"I feel like we have a bill that will help strengthen families and give them time to rethink reconciliation," Hulbert said. "I believe marriages have value, and I think society only benefits if we strengthen the family."

Hulbert said his bill would include exemptions for adultery and cases in which an individual is convicted of child abuse or domestic abuse. The measure also includes exceptions for abandonment, extreme cruelty and habitual drunkenness.

But some researchers question whether lengthening the waiting period would have a positive effect.

Stephanie Coontz, research and public education director for the Council on Contemporary Families, said states that ease divorce laws see a drop in domestic violence and suicide rates among wives.

"So, when you think about trying to reverse the ease of divorce, you may be incurring some real risks," Coontz said. This could be more true "in times of economic stress, which do tend to increase domestic violence," she said.

Muskogee County District Judge Mike Norman said he has no problem with a longer waiting period, especially when children are involved, even if it imposes economic hardship on the divorcing parties.

"The worst part of my job is deciding the fate of minor children," he said, adding that he's only had one case in which a couple reconciled before their marriage was dissolved.

Hulbert's bill isn't the only divorce measure this session. Another bill, filed by Republican Rep. Sean Roberts of Hominy, would eliminate incompatibility as grounds for divorce.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-rep-files-bill-aimed-at-curbing-divorce-rate/article/3927716

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50:57 pm »

There's a waiting period to get a divorce? What's the waiting period to buy a gun?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2014, 02:53:21 pm »

There's a waiting period to get a divorce? What's the waiting period to buy a gun?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last time I did?  About 8 minutes.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

Re:
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2014, 03:52:30 pm »

Last time I did?  About 8 minutes.

Outrage!  You gotta get to know your gun dealer better.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2014, 04:04:12 pm »

Outrage!  You gotta get to know your gun dealer better.

It was the wait on the phone that was 8 minutes.  He had my forms ready before I got to the door.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org