A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:59:42 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobby Lobby or How I Chose God Over Country  (Read 106587 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 10:45:19 pm »

But you see, it's not enough that people have access to these drugs, which HL owners might detest, those that detest them on religious grounds must also now provide for them. Where in the hell does the government derive its power to do that?

...render unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's...

And the secular business world they are in is Caesar's province.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 04:44:37 am »

...render unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's...

And the secular business world they are in is Caesar's province.

That makes no sense.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 04:45:15 am »

The list of restaurants to boycott is getting larger. Wendys:

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Fast-Food-Worker-Hours-Cut---185827392.html

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 08:57:04 am »

How about from a simple cost-containment issue companies simply don't want to pay for the consequences of their employee's sport bucking?

At what point did it become incumbent on employers to provide for every single "medical" whim and need of their employees?

Speaking of cost-containment, I was informed this morning by our office manager our health insurance premium for our company-sponsored plan is going up 23% this year on renewal.  I thought the "Affordable Care Act" was going to make the cost of providing healthcare less expensive.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:59:18 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:16 am »

They're smart to use a religion to try to (in this case) save money.  It's gets people behind them.

"We know you won't volunteer to help at a food bank et al but you can get in line to support us against extra cost."

Get in line to support us.  Eat more chikin and so on and so forth.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 09:29:47 am »

At what point did it become incumbent on employers to provide for every single "medical" whim and need of their employees?

January 20, 2009

Speaking of cost-containment, I was informed this morning by our office manager our health insurance premium for our company-sponsored plan is going up 23% this year on renewal.  I thought the "Affordable Care Act" was going to make the cost of providing healthcare less expensive.

Stop thinking.  You'll just give yourself a headache.   Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 09:52:22 am »

January 20, 2009

Stop thinking.  You'll just give yourself a headache.   Grin

I know, it's grounds for a horrible migraine every time!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 01:32:13 pm »

That makes no sense.

Yeah,..it does.  Hobby Lobby is NOT a church.  Or a religious charity.  It is a business started by a guy who happened to have a certain religious orientation.  As a business, it is by definition secular - an artificial construct of the government specifically designed and enabled to fulfill certain societal goals related to economic activity.  None of which are inherently religious in nature.  But you know this already....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 02:41:17 pm »

Hobby Lobby Manipulating Employees’ Health Care Plans To Deny Them Access To Birth Control

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/01/11/1434051/hobby-lobby-dodge-penalties/

In fact, Obamacare’s contraception mandate doesn’t require Hobby Lobby to provide coverage for any of the “abortion-inducing drugs” that its owners so vehemently oppose. Under the health reform law, employees are guaranteed coverage for emergency contraception, commonly known as Plan B, which does not actually induce abortion.
Nevertheless, Hobby Lobby won’t simply stop at breaking the law and risking incurring $474.5 million in annual fines — far more than the cost of simply providing health plans without co-pays for birth control. The craft store also doesn’t want to be held accountable for the consequences of its decision to play politics with its employees’ health coverage.

Deception has become the tool of the religious right. They even lend their tools to the Teabagger/GOP far right nuts that sit in congress.

The dumbing down of cuntry continues.... do not shop at Mardel or Hobby Lobby. (go get them KRMG...they fit right in with Mark Wayne Mullin's Plumbing and the other advertisers on hate radio).

JoAnn's and Michaels...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2013, 04:54:18 pm »

How about from a simple cost-containment issue companies simply don't want to pay for the consequences of their employee's sport bucking?

Paying for a pregnancy and childbirth is a hell of a lot more expensive than paying for the pill.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »

Paying for a pregnancy and childbirth is a hell of a lot more expensive than paying for the pill.

I hope you are not advocating an economic only solution.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2013, 08:54:47 pm »

Thought this was interesting about HH (from its website):

http://www.hobbylobby.com/our_company/ministry.cfm

Also its stated purpose:

In order to effectively serve our owners, employees, and customers the Board of Directors is committed to:

Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with Biblical principles.

Offering our customers an exceptional selection and value.

Serving our employees and their families by establishing a work environment and company policies that build character, strengthen individuals, and nurture families.

Providing a return on the owners' investment, sharing the Lord's blessings with our employees, and investing in our community.

We believe that it is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. He has been faithful in the past, and we trust Him for our future.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:31 pm »

Here is a not-so-great development.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20603065/southwestern-pa-hospital-to-stop-baby-deliveries

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2013, 12:45:25 pm »

I hope you are not advocating an economic only solution.

Only for those who would choose it.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 03:02:27 pm »

It's official.  They have decided to let the federal government put them out of business.
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-based-hobby-lobby-to-defy-federal-law-requiring-contraception-coverage-for-employees-attorney-says/article/3741128

$1.3 million in fines a day shouldn't' take long to retire that company through government induced bankruptcy.

514 stores and about 21,000 employees.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org