A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:03:56 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Washing The Race Riot Historic District  (Read 8238 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 08:31:33 pm »

You clever fellow, you. No community survives on its own but, they came close.

That was my point.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 07:25:15 am »

I am not going to refute your statement but I would have thought that the rising economic viability of the black community would have kept the retail arena alive.  I'm sure there are some factors I am not aware of in play.

The black community began to rely on their own retail and service businesses. They became more self sufficient. The effect was much like when the black community in Atlanta stopped riding public buses. Returning black vets from WWI were a boost to the local economy and weren't willing to accept the degradation they suffered pre-war. Greenwood was quite prosperous and was a threat economically to the rest of the downtown area. They didn't give up their jobs as elevator operators, servers, etc. they merely kept their spending and investing "in house". Bear in mind, the entire area, buildings and all were razed. It wasn't just racial.

I believe most riots, wars, coups, revolutions are economic in nature. This one had significant economic determinants.

onward...through the fog
shadows
City Father

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 03:24:28 pm »

I am not going to refute your statement but I would have thought that the rising economic viability of the black community would have kept the retail arena alive.  I'm sure there are some factors I am not aware of in play.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The burnout riot is still simmering even after the 92 years.  They have passed along the stories (with help) of how their ancestors were accepted by the Indians after their own treatment by the white men. Thus the gathering of the blacks grew as a self supporting black community. 

Up until in the ‘70 north of the tracks was truly the tale of two cities.  Due to the fact that the black community, with still a large population started rebuilding after the riot until it became competitive with the merchants south of the tracks. (The best of my memory Nixon made a stop in the north city when campaigning for the president). 

Where the south city had failed to burnout the north town the second attempt under urban renewal was successful.  This time they legally flatten their business  areas.  A black lady came to me and said she could arrange for the moving of a little manufacturing company to the north city area with a 100% financing with grant money.  A person that accepted the offer filed for bankruptcy within five years.         

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »

It got burned down.  That adversely affected the viability.  And no white bank was gonna make a loan to restart.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org