A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:48:26 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Day of Support for...  (Read 75037 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2012, 08:59:17 am »

It reminds me of a guy named Brian, that just couldn't "Shoe" those pesky Christians away.
No matter what he said.  Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2012, 09:57:37 am »

I've not been eating there since sometime last year when it became clear what WinShape was really about. I was beginning to think I might make occasional exceptions until blabbermouth opened his trap again and doubled down four or five times.

Conan, I'm not sure why you think that anyone is obligated to eat at Chik-Fil-A. Not eating there doesn't make me intolerant. At no point have I said that other people can't eat there if they like. I'm also not quite sure how you can say with a straight face that calling someone out for their hateful and intolerant speech is somehow itself hateful and intolerant. Nobody is asking Dan Cathy to get gay married or hating him because he refuses to do so. Nobody is telling him what to believe. They're simply saying that they don't want to spend money that will then find its way back to supporting bigoted and hateful positions.

Despite what the right-wingers are trying to do, it's not about what Dan says, it's about who he supports financially with his company. I wish he'd go back to just saying stupid smile. I'd like to eat some Chick Fillet.

Where in the hell do you get the idea I think anyone is obligated to eat at Chik-Fil-A?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2012, 10:06:50 am »

No, if you support traditional marriage, you are supporting racism and homophobia. If you are merely against SSM, you are only supporting homophobia. Unless traditional has been redefined, anyway.

That's OK. Nobody's going to force you to change your views, just like nobody is going to force anyone to eat at Chick-Fil-A.

So, let me get this straight (pun intended):

If someone in their 80’s believes in traditional marriage, they are homophobic or racist?  If their traditions (religious or societal) are against same sex marriage they support homophobia?

For the better part of their lives, that’s been their societal norm.  How does continuing to believe that make someone homophobic?

Liberals stood up against “Islamophobia” yet Islam is even less tolerant of homosexuality.  It carries the death penalty in some parts of the world.

Why is it if someone disagrees with a liberal or progressive position that it’s always some sort of character flaw like hate, intolerance, racism, a phobia, etc?  What ever happened to respecting someone else’s opinion or stance on an issue even if it’s not the same as your own?

You will never change hearts and minds using inflammatory rhetoric if you seek to get people to believe in progressive ideals.  The automatic histrionic responses people get from proud liberals is probably one thing which keeps people from even attempting to understand progressive ideas.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2012, 10:10:24 am »

One day winner maybe. But I think the long version of alienating some customers will prove costly to them.

I’ve thought that ever since Dan Cathy made his statement.  It will be interesting to see the long-term affects.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2012, 10:16:32 am »

If someone in their 80’s believes in traditional marriage, they are homophobic or racist? 

That guy in Mississippi in the 50's and 60's who joined the KKK and burns crosses because that was how he was raised.  He's okay?

"Scum, scum, scum.  Go back to where you're from."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1z5PejkIyY[/youtube]
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2012, 10:18:37 am »

That guy in Mississippi in the 50's and 60's who joined the KKK and burns crosses because that was how he was raised.  He's okay?

"Scum, scum, scum.  Go back to where you're from."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1z5PejkIyY[/youtube]

That’s clearly bigotry and hatred.

Someone’s 85 year old Catholic grandmother who doesn’t believe two men or women should marry is whom I’m referring to.  Would you consider her to be a bigot or intolerant?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2012, 10:25:09 am »

That’s clearly bigotry and hatred.

Someone’s 85 year old Catholic grandmother who doesn’t believe two men or women should marry is whom I’m referring to.  Would you consider her to be a bigot or intolerant?

bigot - a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Is she bigoted?  Then yes.  If she's not willing to tolerate them, then yes.  If she just disagrees with it, then I'd say she's disagreeable about it.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2012, 10:29:28 am »

bigot - a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Is she bigoted?  Then yes.  If she's not willing to tolerate them, then yes.  If she just disagrees with it, then I'd say she's disagreeable about it.

The problem is, the liberal position seems to be that any disagreement is ALWAYS the result of some sort of intolerance, hatred, or phobia.

Sure, if granny says: “God hates fags!” she’s a bigot, little room for error there.

If she says she thinks homosexuality or gay marriage is wrong, that doesn’t make her a homophobe, a bigot, nor intolerant.  It means she simply disagrees with that lifestyle.  She may think the gay guy living next door is charming as all get-out and has high tea with him daily but disagrees with his sexual preference.  That’s hardly hate or intolerance.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2012, 10:39:28 am »

The problem is, the liberal position seems to be that any disagreement is ALWAYS the result of some sort of intolerance, hatred, or phobia.

So you believe only the liberals have positions like that?  That's the problem?

Conservatives never think they are suffering from intolerance, hatred, or a phobia?

You and I will disagree about the old lady.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2012, 10:47:30 am »

Sure, if granny says: “God hates fags!” she’s a bigot, little room for error there.

My Great-grandmother (on my mother's side) was British.  I remember my mom saying that Great-grandmom had to register at the Post Office each year.  If she said something like that, she might have been saying that God hates cigarettes.  She's been gone a l-o-n-g time now so I can't ask her.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2012, 10:51:35 am »

Conservatives never think they are suffering from intolerance, hatred, or a phobia?

Liberals seem to have it down to a knee-jerk science.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2012, 11:00:54 am »

Liberals feel the same way about the conservatives.

"The liberals are being intolerant.  Quick, go buy some processed chicken parts at a fast food restaurant.  Show your support against those anti-Christians.  They hate us."
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2012, 11:01:15 am »

I like the spin. A guy makes an intolerant statement. ("If you support gay marriage, you shake your fist at God" and "invite God's judgement on our nation"), but if anyone says anything different, they are the intolerant one.

Nice circular logic.

Look at what he said. It is just as clear as the Westboro Baptist Church posters.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2012, 11:02:59 am »

I think both sides have the knee-jerk thing down.  It's just that some take it a little further than others.

I remember this young popular guy back in 2008 who made the same claim that he believed "marriage should be between a man and a woman."  He even invoked the fact that this spiritual belief was rooted in his Christian faith.  Liberals loved him.  Not a single politician tried to limit his rights or cause him harm because of that.  I wonder what ever happened to that guy?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2012, 11:36:39 am »

I think both sides have the knee-jerk thing down.  It's just that some take it a little further than others.

I remember this young popular guy back in 2008 who made the same claim that he believed "marriage should be between a man and a woman."  He even invoked the fact that this spiritual belief was rooted in his Christian faith.  Liberals loved him.  Not a single politician tried to limit his rights or cause him harm because of that.  I wonder what ever happened to that guy?

Oooh, oooh, oooh.  Pick me! Pick me!!!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org