A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:44:59 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where is downtown Chase bank moving to?  (Read 15028 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 12:29:55 pm »

I get what your saying, but it's not a "risk" to be open certain days and hours, it's fact.  Sure they might have done well had they been open during that one evening during the parade. But, being open on Sundays and Mondays is not a risk, it's a fact that your not going to get any customers lol.

Any ideas why Monday AND Tuesday are so dead compared to Wednesday thru Friday?  I believe you, just curious why those two days would always be dead.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 12:32:45 pm »

It's people driving into downtown, flying into downtown, already living in downtown, etc. and then WALKING BY that matter.  

Walking by even works in suburbia shopping malls.  There are always small shops that I wonder how they survive but they frequently seem to hang on for years.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 01:28:38 pm »

You can't compare their popcorn with free bank popcorn or microwave popcorn. Sandwich shops exist despite the fact that you can get sandwiches in vending machines.
See Garrett Popcorn in Chicago (http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/flavors/)
Or closer to home, The Corn Popper on Garnett (http://www.cornpopper.com/prprcelstpopper1.htm)

Someone with actual experience running a business feel free to correct me. But I don't see how it would be that much of a risk to have a low-wage worker try out some better hours. At the prices charged, you wouldn't have to sell much popcorn to recoup that person's wages (assuming rent/utilities are sunk capital since you're already in business).

I just see that business as operating the same way downtown businesses have operated for the past couple decades, being open as few hours as possible. Downtown is changing, but so many business owners' mindsets are not. More risks need to be taken, specifically by those who own businesses other than bars and sit-down restaurants.

More people downtown is a big need, be they residents or event visitors.

But how many Tulsa businesses even adjust their hours for events? There were hundreds if not thousands of people within a block of the Coney Island during the Holiday Parade. They were not open.

In the case of a popcorn shop, I'd guess your only other risk would be unsold product if your business model is freshly popped popcorn. I'm not much of a popcorn eater myself so the concept is entirely lost on me, much like cup cake stores.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 03:10:31 pm »

I don't pretend to know which days/times are best. But I get frustrated at businesses that open downtown and are in business only 15-20 hours a week.

Nobody's opening a business in other parts of town for 15 hours a week, giving it a few months, then calling it quits. At some point for downtown to be a legitimate neighborhood, things downtown are going to have to be open the same hours as things in other parts of town. And these are usually the same kind of places that close for three days before and after every holiday, whenever their dog catches a cold, and when the weather's slightly above or below average.

Even of the businesses that have been downtown for a couple years or more, when's the last time anybody extended hours? So much of downtown, apart from bars and sit-down restaurants

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 03:23:09 pm »

If I only put 15 hours a week into my job I don't think I would be very successful.

I'm on the extended hours bandwagon. At least open a couple of hours for dinner.

To me the steakfinger house has the perfect food for the later night industry crowd (of which there are many in downtown these days) but they are missing this opportunity.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »

I don't pretend to know which days/times are best. But I get frustrated at businesses that open downtown and are in business only 15-20 hours a week.

Nobody's opening a business in other parts of town for 15 hours a week, giving it a few months, then calling it quits. At some point for downtown to be a legitimate neighborhood, things downtown are going to have to be open the same hours as things in other parts of town. And these are usually the same kind of places that close for three days before and after every holiday, whenever their dog catches a cold, and when the weather's slightly above or below average.

Even of the businesses that have been downtown for a couple years or more, when's the last time anybody extended hours? So much of downtown, apart from bars and sit-down restaurants

Chicken V. egg.

Do you bulk up retail in the absence of adequate numbers of people living downtown to attract people to move downtown or do you build adequate housing to get more people to live in downtown then bulk up retail options?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 04:31:58 pm »

Bring the permanent residents and retail will chase them.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 04:39:04 pm »

Any ideas why Monday AND Tuesday are so dead compared to Wednesday thru Friday?  I believe you, just curious why those two days would always be dead.

My only guess is that business travelers, tourists, meetings, weddings/events, etc. tend not to be in downtown on Monday and Tuesdays.  Also could be that workers downtown actually work harder on those two days and then later in the week take a longer lunch break lol?  I don't know, just guesses. Also people are more likely to go out on Friday and Saturday evenings just to have fun or to eat.    I keep track of the number of people that come into our shop, and we have kept track of the number of people that go in to the museum space as well.  Even during December when we were open pretty much every day, Monday and Tuesday, and Thursdays, were D E A D.   And I am occasionally still open on Monday and Tuesdays, and its not just about people not knowing if I am going to be there, the number of cars parked on the streets and in the parking garage where I park is reduced, sometimes I can park on the 3rd floor and not the 6th on those days.  And the number of people walking around during the entire day is way, way less than on Friday and Saturday.  Wednesdays I suppose some of the uptick that makes it worthwhile to be open is because of the $2 specials in the Deco District and that that is promoted, and yes perhaps some of it is because people know more stuff will be open.  But with as little as there is downtown it would take us all working together to perhaps make Thursdays as busy.  And, one wonders if we were to all gang together and be open on Thursdays and promote that,,, would we get more business over all or would we just split the number of people that would tend to go downtown among more days?  Even during the good days, not talking about event days and such, retail is a "hard sell" down there.  Getting Thursdays to be worthwhile is going to take some work on everyones part ( and we will start doing that soon) and getting more living, etc. downtown will help with that.  It's a tough process right now.  Chicken and egg thing indeed.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 03:37:27 am »

A lot of business travel is on Monday....leave out from wherever early, fly into where you are going, then spend what's left of the day (after noon or so) working.  Usually Monday evening or Tuesday evening before I get to to do any looking around beyond the Tuesday lunch time.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 11:43:05 am »

The Girl Scouts had a table selling cookies on Saturday afternoon at Fifth and Boulder.

Maybe that's the way to bring more life to downtown. More girl scout cookie sellers and fewer actual businesses.

With the massive amount of people downtown over the weekend to spectate fishing, were any businesses open on the arena/convention center side of downtown? I didn't see anything open that wasn't normally open.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:44:42 am by TheTed » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 12:47:57 pm »

I saw an interview with some downtown restauranteurs who said the fishing tournament got them lots of business.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 02:49:43 pm »

I saw the same story. But I still wonder how many did anything at all differently as far as extending hours. In the past, I've seen restaurants close at the same time they normally do despite events and crowds.

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 12:51:36 pm »

From the Facebook page of Premier Popcorn...

Woodland Hills Mall here we come!!!

Just a little over two years ago the concept of Premier Popcorn was born while making a batch of my mom's caramel corn. I decided to do a little experiment of my own and add a hint of Chipotle for some kick. After several attempts I finally got it right, and I knew I found something special! From this stove top recipe Premier Popcorn evolved into what you know today. We're now proud to offer over 41 flavors to Tulsa popcorn lovers. The next step for Premier will land us in Woodland Hills mall! I am proud to announce this 1600sq ft space begins it's transformation this weekend and is scheduled to open it's doors on March 25th! We will also remain in our Harvard location to continue to serve our loyal midtown customers. It's been a great two years Tulsa! Thank you for your support!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 01:10:57 pm »

From the Facebook page of Premier Popcorn...

Woodland Hills Mall here we come!!!

Just a little over two years ago the concept of Premier Popcorn was born while making a batch of my mom's caramel corn. I decided to do a little experiment of my own and add a hint of Chipotle for some kick. After several attempts I finally got it right, and I knew I found something special! From this stove top recipe Premier Popcorn evolved into what you know today. We're now proud to offer over 41 flavors to Tulsa popcorn lovers. The next step for Premier will land us in Woodland Hills mall! I am proud to announce this 1600sq ft space begins it's transformation this weekend and is scheduled to open it's doors on March 25th! We will also remain in our Harvard location to continue to serve our loyal midtown customers. It's been a great two years Tulsa! Thank you for your support!

Here's a link:

http://premier-popcorn.com/index.html

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 02:29:41 pm »

That solves the hours of operation issues - in a mall their hours of operation are dictated to them by the landlord.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org