A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:58:34 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mitt Romney Pals Around With Racists  (Read 12579 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »

If you're going after the folks who shirk their responsibilities, why quit with draft dodgers?

Because that is the subject I was talking about.  If you want to start another topic, fine.   If I had known that I only had to go to Canada for a few years, I may have considered it.  I probably still wouldn't have gone but it wouldn't have been so unattractive.  Draft dodgers that went to jail and did their time are OK by me.  They made a choice and took the punishment.  Draft dodgers that left the country to avoid any punishment are the ones I am talking about.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 11:20:28 am »

While I respect the draft dodgers beliefs, they should not have been forgiven.   They made a choice.  They should have been exiled forever. I did not believe in the Viet Nam war any more than you believe in the actions in Iraq.  I chose to serve my country rather than desert it when the notice came from the draft board.

Winning?  I suppose so.  I had number 38.  Getting tear gassed at TU in an open area is not the same as getting tear gassed in an enclosed space and being required to stay there without a mask until the Drill Sergeant (still in a gas mask) says you can go.  I've been there. You haven't.  I am a Viet Nam era veteran but do not claim to be a Viet Nam veteran as I didn't actually serve in Nam.  I have the National Defense Ribbon/medal to prove that I "joined" during a time of conflict.  The only thing you have a legitimate claim to is contributing to Nixon's decision to getting us out Nam before I had to go there.  Don't give me any "carp" about being subject to anything near to actual military service during the era.   I put up with a lot of "carp" from you but this is not one of those situations.  You were alive then but you were not forced to make "the" decision.  Your thoughts have NO relevance on this subject.

The consequence was prison, as defined by Federal law, and if they were convicted and served their time, then they are by definition "forgiven" - at least defacto, if not really.  The "Gone to Canada" group is not the ones I was talking about, but if Tricky deserved a pardon (and got one) then they definitely should be pardoned.  More so.  As for making the decision, well, yes, up until the lottery number was selected, I did have to make the decision - and it had already been made - just waiting for the event to happen.

Never said it was (tear gas being the same) - that is what "quotes" around a comment infers - it's an allusion to connect, allowing the reader to make as full or limited a connection as desired.  No, tear gas is Tulsa is not the full bodied, broader experience of being in a room with the stuff.

I agree completely with the claim of helping force Nixon to get us out before you had to go.  You are welcome!  Still took about 6 years too long, JUST like our exit from Iraq - as well as the other similarity that we never should have been there in the first place. 

I have two good friends buddies (tale of two cities...) who enlisted in Navy so they wouldn't have to take a walk (infantry) - so they could ride everywhere they went.  One got the expected results - stationed in Phillipines, got to ride up and down the coast shooting at things, then go back to Subic Bay.  Worst part of it for him was putting up with one of the guys on ship who kept bringing in those 'thousand year old eggs'.

The other got to "ride" in a riverboat.  Got some shot out from under him, then got to enjoy the POW experience for a while. 

As noted, my contribution was here, getting to inhale some noxious vapors and get slapped around by the cops a little bit.  Except for the tear gas room, it was worse than the first guys experience, and infinitely better than the second. 

No crap or carp at all.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 11:23:22 am »

Because that is the subject I was talking about.  If you want to start another topic, fine.   If I had known that I only had to go to Canada for a few years, I may have considered it.  I probably still wouldn't have gone but it wouldn't have been so unattractive.  Draft dodgers that went to jail and did their time are OK by me.  They made a choice and took the punishment.  Draft dodgers that left the country to avoid any punishment are the ones I am talking about.

If I remember correctly, the time in prison then was two years - the same as a draftee term.  You could have done that, if you were really serious about a non-belief in the war - would have been the same time frame.  Canada pardon didn't occur until late '70s.  While Nixon's was several years earlier.  So they had to deal with consequences much longer than he did.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org