A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:47:32 am
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 774889 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1200 on: November 21, 2018, 05:31:02 pm »

We made it to Gathering Place this afternoon and even ran into Carlton Place while we were walking around.  This is a true gem and it's great to see people from all different walks of life getting outside and enjoying it today.  The landscaping along the ball courts across Riverside looks a bit seedy for what they chose, but trying not to judge until we can come back in the spring or summer to see how it looks.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1201 on: November 24, 2018, 10:05:53 pm »

A few things I’ve wondered when recently visiting the Gathering Place:
1. When are they taking down the fences along the river?  Surely they aren’t waiting until the low water dam is rebuilt that won’t be until 2020.
2. When does the Vista restaurant open?
3. When will they announce the details of Phase 2?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1202 on: November 25, 2018, 12:08:40 am »

1. When are they taking down the fences along the river?  Surely they aren’t waiting until the low water dam is rebuilt that won’t be until 2020.

Smart arse version: When they are ready.  Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1203 on: November 25, 2018, 09:23:02 am »

We made it to Gathering Place this afternoon and even ran into Carlton Place while we were walking around.  This is a true gem and it's great to see people from all different walks of life getting outside and enjoying it today.  The landscaping along the ball courts across Riverside looks a bit seedy for what they chose, but trying not to judge until we can come back in the spring or summer to see how it looks.

Overall, it is beautiful!!  May need some minor adjustments, but for the first shot, it is fantastic!   Love the woodwork in the main building!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #1204 on: November 26, 2018, 10:21:39 am »

1. Yes they are going to wait until the low water dam is built because they are going to have to only build 1 temporary dam for both constructions and save a bunch of money.
3. They are still gathering data on the flow and operations of the current park.  Parking, traffic and noise are all challenges they are working through and might impact Phase 2 and 3.  Children's Museum is scheduled to start construction in March but they still need to raise $6M of the $45M price tag.  Typically attendance (and therefore vehicular traffic and parking) doesn't normalize until after a year or 2.  GP is building phases 2 and 3 so normalization might take a little longer.  Add in the upcoming downtown circular and Bus Rapid Transit and you've got quite a few variables that can affect the number of cars that they are trying to accommodate. 

Another upcoming big development, The City of Tulsa is getting ready to roll out a residential permit parking program that they hope to have in place by Spring. If it works well for Maple Ridge and Brookside, I think that affects the composition of Phase 2 and 3. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1205 on: November 26, 2018, 11:03:14 am »

1. Yes they are going to wait until the low water dam is built because they are going to have to only build 1 temporary dam for both constructions and save a bunch of money.
3. They are still gathering data on the flow and operations of the current park.  Parking, traffic and noise are all challenges they are working through and might impact Phase 2 and 3.  Children's Museum is scheduled to start construction in March but they still need to raise $6M of the $45M price tag.  Typically attendance (and therefore vehicular traffic and parking) doesn't normalize until after a year or 2.  GP is building phases 2 and 3 so normalization might take a little longer.  Add in the upcoming downtown circular and Bus Rapid Transit and you've got quite a few variables that can affect the number of cars that they are trying to accommodate. 

Another upcoming big development, The City of Tulsa is getting ready to roll out a residential permit parking program that they hope to have in place by Spring. If it works well for Maple Ridge and Brookside, I think that affects the composition of Phase 2 and 3. 

Thanks, maybe they can at least take down the fencing between the river bank and trail except right around the LWD/bridge construction.  I'm excited for those projects to get started next year. 

Regarding residential permits, that is a great idea.  I would add the neighborhoods south and west of TU as well.  I know the parking issues are an area of concern right now but honestly I think they'll normalize with time.  Having a permanent parking lot by the new museum will definitely help but that won't come online for another 2 years at least.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #1206 on: November 26, 2018, 11:31:04 am »

This is huge.   I live in behind TGP and was one of the ones early on that said "oh, it won't be that bad...".    Man, I was wrong.   The congestion has only made it over to my house a couple of times, but I feel very sorry for those that are within a block or so of TGP.  It is ridiculous on the weekends, and just the other day a child was run into by a car.  Residential parking permits (with enforcement) will go a long way towards alleviating this specific issue.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1207 on: November 27, 2018, 03:47:06 pm »

This is huge.   I live in behind TGP and was one of the ones early on that said "oh, it won't be that bad...".    Man, I was wrong.   The congestion has only made it over to my house a couple of times, but I feel very sorry for those that are within a block or so of TGP.  It is ridiculous on the weekends, and just the other day a child was run into by a car.  Residential parking permits (with enforcement) will go a long way towards alleviating this specific issue.

Parking is a massive fail on TGP so far.  Hope they can do something about it, but hard to see a way to fix that mess without some huge intervention activity.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1208 on: November 28, 2018, 12:17:23 am »

I walked around the Vista restaurant and think this will be one of Tulsa's top patios.  It sits on the top of a hill so it not only overlooks the park but you can see the skyline and down the river toward the 23rd St bridge.  Interested to see what they have planned for menu and hours.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #1209 on: November 28, 2018, 09:34:59 am »

World Class and simply awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaE4mgjelcg

Reminds me of Disneyland.  Can't wait to visit my son who lives in Tulsa; he raves about this park when he's not on the road.  Told him the other day, don't build my hopes about the Gathering Place.  Just the pics I've seen tells me that this will be a boost for Tulsa.  The residential that appear to surround this park doesn't give you optimism about economic development around the park; however it will increase the value of property in the area which will spur residential high rise development.  Still want Tulsa to invest in a streetcar system; it would boost development along the route, especially if it served the park.

Enjoy the above Youtube video on the $500 million investment in this park.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:37:50 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1210 on: November 28, 2018, 12:25:46 pm »

The residential that appear to surround this park doesn't give you optimism about economic development around the park; however it will increase the value of property in the area which will spur residential high rise development.  Still want Tulsa to invest in a streetcar system; it would boost development along the route, especially if it served the park.

The south side of the park around 31st & Riverside is slated for residential development, doubtful it will be highrise though.  I do think it will lead to renewed interest in areas like 18th & Boston along the Midland Valley trail that connects to the park.  Sort of like the Katy Trail in Dallas which spurred developments in Uptown.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #1211 on: November 28, 2018, 12:53:17 pm »

The south side of the park around 31st & Riverside is slated for residential development, doubtful it will be highrise though.  I do think it will lead to renewed interest in areas like 18th & Boston along the Midland Valley trail that connects to the park.  Sort of like the Katy Trail in Dallas which spurred developments in Uptown.

Agreed, and all along Riverside North of 21st.  The new apartments at Riverside and Denver are going to spur new development (or major renovations) to existing properties along there.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1212 on: November 28, 2018, 12:56:06 pm »

That would be a great spot for an influx of urban housing. It's only about a ten minute walk from around 18th and Boston to the Gathering Place which makes it an ideal place to park and walk for those who don't want to bother the neighborhood when the main lots are full. It's a beautiful walk or ride.

The ~20 acres on the south boundary of the Gathering Place is slated for development in Phase 3 which probably won't be announced for several years (George Kaiser did publicly offer Halliburton HQ a spot there if they chose to relocate here though). I expect the GKFF will make a mixed-use area that will make it a vibrant destination. I expect they'll emulate what they've done in the Arts District, hopefully making some 3-4 story buildings with office and residential above and retail/food/drink on the ground. However, they may decide to be more cognizant of the neighborhood and keep buildings at 2 stories maximum and/or no late-night establishments, or maybe just keep the taller buildings closer to the River and Museum (Any HQ will need a lot of square footage so will need to be some big buildings!).

There's only about 3-4 lots separating E 33rd St from Phase 3 area: (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gathering+Place/@36.1152332,-95.9793343,461a,35y,0.23h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x2ae43cf6399223ec!8m2!3d36.1253674!4d-95.986144). There's the Crow Creek Meadow in between. It would be really nice if they could put a bicycle/walk path to connect those so that Brookside and the Gathering Place would be more integrated for pedestrians.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #1213 on: November 28, 2018, 01:53:34 pm »

World Class and simply awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaE4mgjelcg

Reminds me of Disneyland.  Can't wait to visit my son who lives in Tulsa; he raves about this park when he's not on the road.  Told him the other day, don't build my hopes about the Gathering Place.  Just the pics I've seen tells me that this will be a boost for Tulsa.  The residential that appear to surround this park doesn't give you optimism about economic development around the park; however it will increase the value of property in the area which will spur residential high rise development.  Still want Tulsa to invest in a streetcar system; it would boost development along the route, especially if it served the park.

Enjoy the above Youtube video on the $500 million investment in this park.

There is some availability to develop on 21st street and there is a lot of room for development on Boulder, both of which are fairly close to the park.  Certainly both areas are within close walking distance.  I am hopeful the park and resurgence in the area drives some commercial development(s) in those areas.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1214 on: November 28, 2018, 02:45:30 pm »

There is some availability to develop on 21st street and there is a lot of room for development on Boulder, both of which are fairly close to the park.  Certainly both areas are within close walking distance.  I am hopeful the park and resurgence in the area drives some commercial development(s) in those areas.

The zoning is favorable for higher density in those areas as well, especially along Riverside north of 21st and all through Riverview over to the 18th/21st & Boston area.  Not so much in the Brookside area except where the apartments used to be located along Crow Creek.  

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org