A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:12:39 am
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keystone XL Pipeline  (Read 131913 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #210 on: November 21, 2014, 03:57:24 pm »

I wonder how much 10 hours of 172 block time is these days, wet, any idea?

A quick internet check looks like about $100 to $160. 

Per hour at Christiansen:  $109
http://www.websmart66.net/cgi-bin/p/w66p-listing.cgi?d=christiansen-aviation&id=215

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #211 on: November 21, 2014, 03:59:43 pm »

Hah hah!  Nah, I figured I’d find some generous pipeline company to provide that plane for me. 

When I was flying out of Chrisitansen they had a 172 which had been retired from pipeline duty, I don’t recall who the pipeline company who had owned it before was now.  It had something like 10,000 or 12,000 hours on it but it was clean and really well-maintained.  It had a cruise prop on it, and IIRC I think it would do 125-130 knots.  Not your run of the mill clapped-out 172 rental that would do 115 with a strong tailwind.  Wink

I don't think the pipeline companies typically own the plane.  Deanna Robertson at RVS flys/used to fly pipeline.  She may be retired now.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »

Depending on who you listen to, the number of jobs the pipeline will create is between 35, and millions:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/1nxru1/pipe-friction

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »

Vetoed
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2015, 05:00:39 pm »

Depending on who you listen to, the number of jobs the pipeline will create is between 35, and millions:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/1nxru1/pipe-friction

Since it has come up again... 35 is what the company says.  Tens of thousands is what the Murdochian Fantasy World lie machine is cranking out....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2015, 08:53:31 pm »

Since it has come up again... 35 is what the company says.  Tens of thousands is what the Murdochian Fantasy World lie machine is cranking out....

Whole pipeline from Canada to Coast, I could buy 10,000 under construction, that is if you count the same pipefitting crews multiple times as they move site-to-site.  Without new refining capacity at the Gulf, I’d agree, about 35 people to watch computer screens and go look at wildlife along the route.

Much of the pipeline now exists anyhow.  I think the only hold up was through Nebraska, where Uncle Warren who owns BNSF holds court, am I correct?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2015, 09:38:28 pm »

And Obama was in Cushing....Why....??

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2015, 10:02:41 pm »

Whole pipeline from Canada to Coast, I could buy 10,000 under construction, that is if you count the same pipefitting crews multiple times as they move site-to-site.  Without new refining capacity at the Gulf, I’d agree, about 35 people to watch computer screens and go look at wildlife along the route.

Much of the pipeline now exists anyhow.  I think the only hold up was through Nebraska, where Uncle Warren who owns BNSF holds court, am I correct?

Company has said 2,500 to 3,800 for up to two years construction - this is a nebulous number, but pipelines don't take that many people to build.  Several hundred for another bit of time - maybe a year or so??  Then 35.

Trans-Alaska only took about 2 years for the main construction effort - did use "tens of thousands" - whatever that means - counting the truck drivers, waitresses, and people supporting them.... they had an exponentially more complex project and environment.  Let's not forget to count the people who sell the work clothes to the pipeline workers in Fairbanks.

If there were concerns about what is the most efficient way to move oil, it is to take it from Edmonton area, where all the shale oil is located, and just head straight west to Vancouver.  Many, many hundreds of miles closer to the shipping to take it to the Pacific rim, where it is headed anyway.  And proportionally, Canada would benefit by a greater percentage or per capita to adding 35 people to their employment rolls.  Oh, yeah...they aren't willing to risk the environmental consequences of a break/spill...!!!

Buffet has been benefiting from the train transport, but I would guarantee you that he is not betting his whole investment experience on that alone.  BNSF is huge outside of just oil.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:04:32 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2015, 10:24:58 pm »

And Obama was in Cushing....Why....??

And it matters...why??

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2015, 10:28:21 pm »

And it matters...why??

You tell me....

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2015, 10:49:36 pm »

And it matters...why??

Wherever the POTUS goes, Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) follow.

Actually, they precede him too.   Sad

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2015, 10:50:34 pm »

Company has said 2,500 to 3,800 for up to two years construction - this is a nebulous number, but pipelines don't take that many people to build.  Several hundred for another bit of time - maybe a year or so??  Then 35.

Trans-Alaska only took about 2 years for the main construction effort - did use "tens of thousands" - whatever that means - counting the truck drivers, waitresses, and people supporting them.... they had an exponentially more complex project and environment.  Let's not forget to count the people who sell the work clothes to the pipeline workers in Fairbanks.

If there were concerns about what is the most efficient way to move oil, it is to take it from Edmonton area, where all the shale oil is located, and just head straight west to Vancouver.  Many, many hundreds of miles closer to the shipping to take it to the Pacific rim, where it is headed anyway.  And proportionally, Canada would benefit by a greater percentage or per capita to adding 35 people to their employment rolls.  Oh, yeah...they aren't willing to risk the environmental consequences of a break/spill...!!!

Buffet has been benefiting from the train transport, but I would guarantee you that he is not betting his whole investment experience on that alone.  BNSF is huge outside of just oil

Hey, if they can count every widow and high school drop-out who can pick up two hours at lunch rush at What-A-Burger along the route, you might reach 10K.  Where’s your optimism?

One of the few times I will agree with Heir, the Keystone’s economic benefit has been over-inflated by McConnell and his Ilk. 

I was impressed at first, then as industry execs distanced themselves from many of the wild claims, the Hannitys of the world kept on promoting hyperbole which simply does not add up in the real world.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2015, 10:57:51 pm »

You tell me....

Exactly, it doesn't..aside from the TFRs, which happen anytime any President travels.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2015, 07:25:48 am »

Exactly, it doesn't..aside from the TFRs, which happen anytime any President travels.

What doesn't....Why was he in Cushing....Huh

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2015, 09:13:20 am »

One of the few times I will agree with Heir, the Keystone’s economic benefit has been over-inflated by McConnell and his Ilk. 

I was impressed at first, then as industry execs distanced themselves from many of the wild claims, the Hannitys of the world kept on promoting hyperbole which simply does not add up in the real world.

Wow!!  There is definitely hope for you yet!!  We probably agree a lot more than you might feel comfortable with - hyperbole is what is required to fight hyperbole. 

When a rational discussion is impossible, as with the Hannity's/O'Reilly's, etc, then one must jump way past rational in the other direction to have any hope of countering.  Works in all directions - when the psycho-hose-beast nonsense of the radical extremist left is trotted out, then it takes an organization that can go toe to toe with that - like the NRA.  Occasionally, the NRA is a little overboard - but not by much! - but it takes crazy to fight crazy on the topic of gun control - as well as some others!!

Your tag line of recovering Republican is probably more accurate for me than you realize, too.  (I have enjoyed a faster recovery - Nixon was the one that helped that the most!)

It's nice to have the occasional Kumbaya moment here on the board...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9AH4vG2wA

but;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sS4RIn6Kw

(Ya gotta watch them in order shown...)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org