A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:45:44 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Oklahoma City is "recession proof"  (Read 18476 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 04:51:39 pm »

I give credit to the oil and gas business....business, something you must not understand to credit a rude governess who hasn't had time to impact squat except teaparty causes.

I don't think he's the only one who forgets that Tulsa (and Oklahoma generally) are usually countercyclical economically.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 09:56:03 am »

I give credit to the oil and gas business....business, something you must not understand to credit a rude governess who hasn't had time to impact squat except teaparty causes.
Yes but the oil and gas Oklahoma has  won't do any good if  the state had burdensome regulations and heavy taxes and choking environmental rules. No one would want to mess with it. It also takes a pro-business atitude, and low taxes to draw in companies and develope the natural resources. If Oklahoma became a state like Michigan no one would want to mess or invest in anything in the state it just would not be worth the cost and hassle. Michigan has alot of natural resurces and great waterways for shipping, but the state has  choking taxes and regulations that kill  companies who want to invest and develope it.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 12:05:23 pm »

Yes but the oil and gas Oklahoma has  won't do any good if  the state had burdensome regulations and heavy taxes and choking environmental rules. No one would want to mess with it. It also takes a pro-business atitude, and low taxes to draw in companies and develope the natural resources. If Oklahoma became a state like Michigan no one would want to mess or invest in anything in the state it just would not be worth the cost and hassle. Michigan has alot of natural resurces and great waterways for shipping, but the state has  choking taxes and regulations that kill  companies who want to invest and develope it.

Here here! We need to go back to the heady days where everyone had a refinery in their back yard and the air was thick with smoke! Who wants to live a long and healthy life?
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:38 pm »

Why are you talking future tense here? "If the state had burdensome regs and heavy taxes and choking env rules..." Do you think we are considering those things or that we already have them? I can't understand what you're saying here.

And where is this faulty understanding of the oil industry coming from? Fallin people? Believe me now and learn it later, when oil is $200 a barrel no restrictions will stop development of that resource. Demand and supply rule even in your world.

onward...through the fog
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 12:24:19 pm »

Sauer, if so, The Governess needs to take the hit for how our state is one of the three worst for individuals and families who want to get ahead in life. It's her fault. Smiley

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120511_16_A1_Olhmso379571

only %30 of Oklahomans experience upward mobility. Fail.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 01:08:05 pm »

Why are you talking future tense here? "If the state had burdensome regs and heavy taxes and choking env rules..." Do you think we are considering those things or that we already have them? I can't understand what you're saying here.

And where is this faulty understanding of the oil industry coming from? Fallin people? Believe me now and learn it later, when oil is $200 a barrel no restrictions will stop development of that resource. Demand and supply rule even in your world.

More like...Governor Failin'....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 02:08:28 pm »

More like...Governor Failin'....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWRaAF6_WY[/youtube]

Sauers' lament?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 02:55:02 pm »

Oklahoma is doing very well under Mary Fallin, our unemployment rate droped some more to around 5.5% one the lowest in the nation. Mary Fallin's pro-business and tax cut atitudes help the economy big time.

Please give a single example of a tax cut or pro-business move that Mary Fallin has done. Cite the source and monetary effect.

If you can't, then shut the hell up.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »

Please give a single example of a tax cut or pro-business move that Mary Fallin has done. Cite the source and monetary effect.

If you can't, then shut the hell up.

You should take your own advice....donkey....!

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 03:40:26 pm »

You should take your own advice....donkey....!

No sense to be seen here folks.  Keep movin'.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 09:03:03 pm »

Sauer, if so, The Governess needs to take the hit for how our state is one of the three worst for individuals and families who want to get ahead in life. It's her fault. Smiley

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120511_16_A1_Olhmso379571

only %30 of Oklahomans experience upward mobility. Fail.

No! Don't you know that's probably all Brad Henry's fault... better yet, it's Obama's fault. I'm sure if he wasn't in office Oklahoma would be much better off!!  Roll Eyes Damn Donkeys

I love when people use this excuse as well. Everything should just be a free for all... I mean the wild west days in modern times is the way to go. A civilized society has rules, republican's make just as many as democrats. Government is government, and there is no such this as "small government" either.

The regulation in the United States aren't any worse than any other modern society that surrounds us either. Take Canada for example. People around here freak, and say we are about to send a ton of oil to the Commie's (China) because Obama denied the pipeline. The proposed pipeline from Alberta to British Columbia would under go 10 times the amount of scrutiny it will here, that's the whole reason they didn't do it in the first place. If you think the people in California are tree huggers, try spending some time in and around Vancouver. Do you really think Canada wouldn't sell us out if the Chinese were going to pay them more, and it was just as easy to ship it to them? No.

This over regulation of the Oil and Gas industry is all BS! Republican's pockets are just lined with their companies money, and they tell people that Democrats are just trying to kill jobs when they know they aren't really going to critically analyze this situation and realize our country isn't going to implode because we don't bend over and hold our ankles for the Oil and Gas companies. We need some sort of regulation in order for people to be able to drink their well water, or for our city to not have contaminated water more than it already is.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org