A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:03:50 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any PSO contacts?  (Read 18974 times)
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 06:51:20 pm »

Msg sent

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 10:38:52 pm »

I didn't measure the voltage with my meter.  Instead, I used a voltage probe from Klein Tools.  It senses AC from 50 to 1000 volts.  This tool is about the size of a fat fountain pen and it's handy around the house.

Get a real voltmeter.  They are cheap.  Just make sure that is says 750VAC/1000VDC and Cat III on the front.  (Cat II at the VERY minimum!!)  I got one at Harbor Freight when they opened a new store in Norman a couple years ago for about $5.00.  Normal price should be less than $25 even from someone like Lowes or Home Depot.

Second, you are probably ok through the winter with that rig until air conditioning season.  Or is that stuff even still connected??

The two legs coming in are 110 vac each, and a return line - no 480 vac anywhere there.  The green box on the ground has the main transformer for usually 4 houses.  The primary into that box is gonna be something over 7,000 volts and 3 phase going through the neighborhood.  The transformer primary should connect from one of those phases to ground to get the 220 vac single phase into the house (two 110's).  Sometimes a single phase transformer will be connected from phase to phase, but I don't think PSO does that for most residential - another "can't remember" for sure.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 02:44:29 pm »

I believe this issue is resolved now.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 04:45:38 pm »

I believe this issue is resolved now.

Yep.  Someone came by to retrieve the service saver today.  I started work at 4AM and when I arrived at home I fell asleep within a few minutes.  Voices outside the bedroom window woke me for a moment, but I was asleep again almost immediately.  When nap time ended, I went outside to find the equipment was gone.

My thanks to you and all others who offered to help.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 05:00:59 pm »

TNF...."Works for You"..... Grin

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 05:34:16 pm »

I compared my gas bill and PSO going back several years. Last December (2010) and Jan. (11) were on par with this year which has been substantially warmer. I hear that across the country our power companies have been charging higher rates despite Nat Gas being at historic low prices.... anyone know why?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 05:34:54 pm »

I compared my gas bill and PSO going back several years. Last December (2010) and Jan. (11) were on par with this year which has been substantially warmer. I hear that across the country our power companies have been charging higher rates despite Nat Gas being at historic low prices.... anyone know why?

Profit?
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 05:35:42 pm »

That's called push profit.... unjustifiable.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 05:37:05 pm »

That's called push profit.... unjustifiable.

Never said it was justified.  I assumed it was the same as gas prices going up while oil goes down.  Because they can.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 06:30:03 pm »

The utility rates are regulated and gas charges are separated, with those charges based on projected prices and contracted rates. Neither get to just choose prices at will.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 07:29:06 pm »

Get a real voltmeter.  They are cheap.  Just make sure that is says 750VAC/1000VDC and Cat III on the front.  (Cat II at the VERY minimum!!)

I use a Fluke 87 at work and a knockoff at home.  There's a couple of analog meters out in the garage, too, including a Simpson 260 that's still a fine meter despite its age.  But a simple voltage probe is a convenient go/no-go tool, much like the old neon lamp probes but without the electrocution hazard.  I still have one of those probes that I picked up over seas.  I think they're illegal for sale here. 

Ed

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:32 pm »

There's a couple of analog meters out in the garage, too, including a Simpson 260 that's still a fine meter despite its age. 

I have a 260 and a 270 that my dad left to me.  I also repaired and calibrated Simpson 260s (and many other makes and models up through rack mount digital meters) in the Cal Lab in the Navy.  The only real problem with the Simpsons was when someone measured 110VAC on the RX1 scale.  The first time it wasn't too bad because the fuse protected it.  The second time, after the 1A fuse was replaced with a 10A slow blow fuse (unauthorized of course), the meter movement needed to be replaced.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 09:18:41 pm »

I use a Fluke 87 at work and a knockoff at home.  There's a couple of analog meters out in the garage, too, including a Simpson 260 that's still a fine meter despite its age.  But a simple voltage probe is a convenient go/no-go tool, much like the old neon lamp probes but without the electrocution hazard.  I still have one of those probes that I picked up over seas.  I think they're illegal for sale here.  

Nothing better than a 260!  Used to have one, had a very hard life, so got rid of the pieces...  have been keeping an eye out for another one at garage sales and antique shops.

110 on R - yep.  Toaster.

I have an old 8020B that has been great for a long, long time.  Also have a couple of cheapies for knocking around the garage so don't mess up the good one.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:28:43 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41:45 pm »

Did they not have some sort of recent adjustment to pay for power plant upgrades or some such thing?  I've noticed my electric bill has been higher this winter over last winter.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 09:50:39 pm »

Nothing better than a 260!  Used to have one, had a very hard life, so got rid of the pieces...  have been keeping an eye out for another one at garage sales and antique shops.

110 on R - yep.  Toaster.

I have an old 8020B that has been great for a long, long time.  Also have a couple of cheapies for knocking around the garage so don't mess up the good one.

We used to get surplussed 260s and Triplett meters from AA when I was in the radio club.  We sold them at the hamfest for a few bucks.  I suspect most are gone now, and only a few are left in the shops.  Still, you might find some at the hamfest later this year.

Ed

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org