A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:56:06 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miscellaneous, distracted, various, and inimitable  (Read 145243 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2012, 08:05:16 am »

Wow...THCcLown had a clean thougt....!

Hell has frozen over.

Now, it's YOUR turn!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2012, 08:06:07 am »

Hell has frozen over.

Now, it's YOUR turn!!

I’ve known BB for over 30 years.

It’ll never happen...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2012, 09:25:53 am »

I’ve known BB for over 30 years.

It’ll never happen...

Condolences!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2012, 12:04:09 pm »

Wow...THCcLown had a clean thougt....!

Yes, but the women there walk all the time. Easy on the eyes and a thing of beauty. Here, fat took shape.... Wink
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2012, 12:45:54 pm »

This is stuff that Powell has said before - and been demonized by the RWRE over, but sometimes there is an enlightening breath of fresh air to revisit the truth.  Too bad we had to kill all those kids and spend all those trillions just to satisfy Cheney/Murdoch/Rove's desires to play their vicarious game of "cowboys and Indians" with real flesh and blood and resources.
May have to buy his book.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/colin-powell-u-set-war-iraq-u-n-143557873.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2012, 08:38:14 am »

And now we again see how "enlightened self interest" is gonna protect regular people in the stock market - so we really don't need any government oversight...

Facebook may actually be a 'buy' before long...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/facebook-bankers-secretly-cut-facebook-revenue-estimates-middle-133648905.html;_ylt=Am0JJkgnEuBUV.XbeK_KMCaiuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTQzOWJ0djZlBG1pdANGaW5hbmNlIEZQIEp1bWJvdHJvbiBMaXRlBHBrZwNhODFmYmQ5Zi04NWZkLTMxY2ItYjg4MC04YTJmOWVjZmJhOTIEcG9zAzEEc2VjA2p1bWJvdHJvbgR2ZXIDNWI3YTJmMTAtYTQxOC0xMWUxLTk2ZjYtNWExM2IwNWE5MGIy;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2012, 09:19:24 am »

Just got off the phone with Windstream concerning internet service for a friend.  They advertise 3, 6, and 12 mbps speeds.  But when I actually got a little further into the discussion, they told me they can only guarantee 65% of the advertised speed.  So, when I challenged them about telling stories about the true speed (65% of 12 is actually about 7.8 - the speed seen at the site), they took umbrage that I would imply they were not telling me the real values.

And then they hung up on me.

This was Customer Lack Of Service - not tech support!  Tech support was very helpful and actually told me the truth. 

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2012, 10:06:10 am »

Hetre's a random example of bad reporting:

TULSA, Oklahoma - An air and ground chase led to the arrest of a Tulsa man overnight. A Tulsa police helicopter first spotted a Chevrolet Camaro moving at a high rate of speed at about 2 a.m. Saturday and called in ground support.

Officers in patrol cars chased the suspect a short distance, but backed off from the ground chase for safety reasons, according to Corporal Gene Watkins with the Tulsa Police Department.

The air pursuit continued all the way to the suspect's house in the 3000 block of South 137th East Avenue where the driver pulled into his driveway. Ground units responded and arrested Junior A. Vallebravo, 26, on complaints of reckless driving, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, and obstructing or resisting officers.

Fail to yield to a helicopter?
...and having the helicopter INITIATE a ground chase just for a speeder?
Wasnt the helicopter supposed to make ground chases unnecessary?  That's what we were told when they bought them.

Seriously, he drove home.  They could have mailed him a ticket.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2012, 10:45:59 am »

A Tulsa police helicopter first spotted a Chevrolet Camaro moving at a high rate of speed at about 2 a.m.

I doubt anyone cares about this but me but:

A rate is a change of something with respect to time.  Speed is a change of position with respect to time. A rate of speed is a change of speed with respect to time, often called acceleration.  Basically the helicopter spotted a Camaro accelerating briskly.  Acceleration can be either positive or negative.  The Camaro driver was either on the gas or on the brakes pretty hard.  The statement about a "high rate of speed" actually says nothing about how fast the vehicle was actually traveling.

Note to anyone else who might actually understand what I am talking about.  Speed is not a vector quantity so a change of direction (going around a curve) doesn't enter into this discussion.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2012, 12:39:44 pm »

The statement about a "high rate of speed" actually says nothing about how fast the vehicle was actually traveling.

Yet it's common boilerplate language that lazy reporters don't bother to address.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »

Viet Nam in the news again today.  Soldier's letters coming home.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/veteran-letters-home-43-years-death-162103248.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2012, 01:46:13 pm »

K-Mart/Sears

I bet corporate is actually wondering why the company is doing so badly... here's an example - they don't keep parts available for clothes dryer for more than about 15 minutes after they ship it out the door.  (Well, maybe a slight exaggeration - 12 or 15 years or so).  But hey, why would anyone want to repair something rather than go buy a new one!!

Hmm...now that I think about it, Samsung and LG are looking pretty good.  (It will never be a Kenmore or Whirlpool ever again.)

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2012, 10:55:58 am »

And now for something entirely different;

It's a cold, cruel, dog-eat-dog world out there and sometimes I feel like I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear.  But compared to this little lady, I got it pretty easy. 

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/39711/sea+otter+jumps+on+a+boat+to+avoid+getting+eaten+by+killer+whales+video/

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2013, 06:30:51 pm »

Just realized...  Easter and April Fool's on the same day this year!!  This could be great.

Tell the kids to search for eggs you didn't hide!!

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2013, 07:32:31 pm »

Just realized...  Easter and April Fool's on the same day this year!!  This could be great.

Tell the kids to search for eggs you didn't hide!!

You are reckless...and wrong AGAIN!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org