A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:58:38 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80's era BMX bikes  (Read 4981 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« on: January 16, 2012, 03:17:50 pm »

I'm cleaning my garage and came across a couple of chromoly BMX bike frames and misc. parts. They are in excellent condition. One is a Raliegh and I think they call it the "Burner". Can't tell the other one but it might be a Mongoose. They belonged to my nephew who used to race them and my son had little interest in fixing them up back 20 years ago.

My question is, do they have any collectible or nostalgic value? Does anyone restore them? I hate to sell them too cheap but then....they are not being used.

Anyone know?

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:53:03 pm »

I'm cleaning my garage and came across a couple of chromoly BMX bike frames and misc. parts. They are in excellent condition. One is a Raliegh and I think they call it the "Burner". Can't tell the other one but it might be a Mongoose. They belonged to my nephew who used to race them and my son had little interest in fixing them up back 20 years ago.

My question is, do they have any collectible or nostalgic value? Does anyone restore them? I hate to sell them too cheap but then....they are not being used.

Anyone know?

eBay is usually the best way to figure out what something is worth.  Some of the '80's BMX stuff can bring hundreds some of it tens.  Just depends on brand the frames are and what equipment is on them.  The mag wheels will bring pretty good $$

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:11:17 pm »

eBay is usually the best way to figure out what something is worth.  Some of the '80's BMX stuff can bring hundreds some of it tens.  Just depends on brand the frames are and what equipment is on them.  The mag wheels will bring pretty good $$
But if you find they aren't worth anything and decide to sell em cheap, my son needs a new bike.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

You have a PK Ripper in there.....

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mongoose+bmx&_sacat=0&_odkw=pk+ripper+bmx&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:39:27 pm »

One of the Catholic charities used to collect and refurbish old bikes for kids in their after-school program.  If the bikes have little value, consider donating them.  The Hub collects bikes for kids too.  There are probably other programs in the area.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:00:50 pm »

(two) five spoke plastic mags. One set handlebars, one crank, no bearings or caliper brakes. So if I donate them someone has to put it all together. Custo, would you be able to search out the rest of the stuff and cobble it all together?

One of them looks like that Mongoose Californian. Looks like not too many Raleigh's were sold here, but plenty in England.

onward...through the fog
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:22:35 pm »

The HUB would probably find a use for the parts.  Also, since they're a 501c3, you can take their value as a deduction.  They're on FB, of course:

http://www.facebook.com/tulsahub

I can give you a phone number if you contact me off the forum.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 10:14:27 pm »

(two) five spoke plastic mags. One set handlebars, one crank, no bearings or caliper brakes. So if I donate them someone has to put it all together. Custo, would you be able to search out the rest of the stuff and cobble it all together?

One of them looks like that Mongoose Californian. Looks like not too many Raleigh's were sold here, but plenty in England.
I probably could, but can't say for sure.  Of course, I wouldn't want you to pass up a chance to sell them for a good price if that is possible. 
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 05:11:45 pm »

I have a friend who restores old BMX bikes, show me what you've got and I'll let him know.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »

I would not toss them away. They were popular bikes. I have an old 1985 26" 10 speed RoadMaster Bike, never use it but hate to get rid of it since it still works.. I think it's a Roadmaster bike (it's a Road-something bike) that I bought when I lived in Texas.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org