A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:03:57 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woody Guthrie museum  (Read 12728 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: December 28, 2011, 09:46:58 am »

The World says we're getting a Woody Guthrie museum in the Brady district, and it's supposed to open next year.  The comments are typical of the World's excellent assortment of local intellectuals, historians, and advanced political analysts.  Don't go there.

...and for the reading challenged...

The World says we're getting a Woody Guthrie museum in the Brady district, and it's supposed to open next year.  The comments are typical of the World's excellent assortment of local intellectuals, historians, and advanced political analysts.  Don't go there.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:55:33 am »

Repeating yourself again?

joiei
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 10:22:07 am »

Woody's 1942 New Years resolutions

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:12:45 am »

Any idea on placement? in an existing building I suspect if its going to be open in 2012
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:55:57 am »

Any idea on placement? in an existing building I suspect if its going to be open in 2012

It's part of the whole Matthews Warehouse Conversion project.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:23:15 pm »

This is great news.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 01:22:46 pm »

Woody's 1942 New Years resolutions

I think that list could apply to just about all of us.  I think we could all stand to "learn people better" and "don't gt lonesome".  There's little doubt that "wash teeth if any" is sound advice.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 01:46:46 pm »

Sounds like a great use of some of the Matthews warehouse space.
Ronnie Lowe
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:42:54 pm »

Woody is so cool.  Ultimate liberal, Okie to the bone. 
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 01:37:40 am »

Terrific show at the Old Lady tonight produced by the Grammy's and featuring great talent. One of the best audiences I've been a part of in a long time around here.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:27:09 pm »

It will be interesting to see what kind of support this gets in this state.  He was an outcast then and would be even more so today in Oklahoma. 

I see/hear a lot of people giving lip service to him and his music - and it must be many, many more than are actual fans.  There aren't that many liberal people here.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 05:05:24 pm »

It will be interesting to see what kind of support this gets in this state.  He was an outcast then and would be even more so today in Oklahoma. 

I see/hear a lot of people giving lip service to him and his music - and it must be many, many more than are actual fans.  There aren't that many liberal people here.

Can't grasp the concept of true American Patriots who love his music? It's tough in this environment to understand the value of putting differences aside for the enjoyment of praising the men and women who built this great country. Why are you dragging your lip service concept into this? People are better educated and more sophisticated than you give them credit for.... And The Lips were not good last night. They get too much support for vacuous artistic attempts. So, what makes you think Woody would be less popular today.
ex-riverman
Citizen

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 07:59:21 pm »

Definitely a great crowd and beautiful music.  The artists were as moved by the experience as the fans.  Jackson Browne and Rosanne Cash were probably my favorite performances but The Flaming Lips were AMAZING last night.  It's good to remember that it doesn't just have to be about acoustic guitars. Woody would have played the hell out of an ipad. And then he would have given it away or left it somewhere. 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 06:21:00 am »

Can't grasp the concept of true American Patriots who love his music? It's tough in this environment to understand the value of putting differences aside for the enjoyment of praising the men and women who built this great country. Why are you dragging your lip service concept into this? People are better educated and more sophisticated than you give them credit for.... And The Lips were not good last night. They get too much support for vacuous artistic attempts. So, what makes you think Woody would be less popular today.

Yes, I grasp it perfectly.  And have been a big fan of Woody's since the early '60s.  And you are right, true American Patriots DO love his music!

And no, it is NOT tough at all the understand the value of putting aside differences - what IS tough is getting it to happen.

And that is why it would be disingenuous of so many people in this state to claim to be fans when they elect people like Inhofe, Fallin, and Sally Kern.  There are plenty of people who believe in the basic goodness of human nature (I am one of them, believe it or not...) and hope that we can eventually start directing our governments at all levels to act according to that nature.  So far, still got a ways to go.

Woody would have a good size following - and would probably make a ton of money at it now.  It would be a slight minority elsewhere in the country - but would be a small minority in Oklahoma.  As evidenced by the election results mentioned above.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 09:31:02 am »

Catching up from various posts around Facebook, this is one show I wish I'd been in town for.

I'm catching comments like "Best in a long time in Tulsa", "Best show ever at the Brady", etc.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org