A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:58:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Pearl" an area that will go down in History as a turning point in Tulsa  (Read 243605 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2012, 07:43:13 pm »

Well, sat through hours of emotional talk, then a NO vote, in a very cold room.  Not a nice way to spend a day.  

Sad to see this town so full of negativity and lack of... dreams and inspiration.  

A while back I and some other volunteers put in hours, days, weeks of work designing a place to put the new city centennial time capsule.  We rounded up sponsors and donors to build the structure, donate materials, etc.  Then went to a meeting to get approval for the project.  Though we had many different designs to choose from, they didn't like any of them and sent us packing to come up with something else.

I don't think they understood the concept of "someone picking up the slack and doing what apparently nobody else wanted to do" "Volunteering" their time etc. to try and do something positive.  I was like,  Frack that!  I busted my butt and spent a lot of time and effort on it,,, if they don't like it, they can do it themselves.  

So far nobody else has stepped forward to do the work and Tulsa's Centennial Time Capsule sits in some back lot baking it's contents in the sun, in a metal container in the 100 plus heat.    

Thats kind of what I feel like with the Pearl Districts Form Based Codes and even the Plani-Tulsa New Comprehensive Plan.  Lot's of people putting in tons of work (so much more than my feeble example) trying to make Tulsa better, and then others coming along and saying... Naaaa, we don't like it, do something different.   Take it or leave it folks.  And apparently they left it.  And I doubt that they will do the work to do something as good or better.  So nothing gets done other than same ol same ol.  Any growth is good enough.  We don't care enough to make our city exceptional.  Just truck along teetering on the edge of slow progress and slow decline.  How utterly boring and uninspired.  Sad, mediocre people.  No guts no glory.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:45:57 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2012, 10:22:12 pm »

Friends,

I share the assessment that this was a sad and frustrating day. It is often hard to envision big things in this town as there seems to be so many things working against you. I've watched over the last several months as this process was hijacked by a property owner with a personal vendetta and a hired gun attorney. They systematically rounded up a team of neighborhood business owners, filled them with fear and misinformation and then organized their efforts in opposition. It was a calculated and well executed counter to the years of hard work of The Pearl District Association. They showed up at the final hour and caused enough confusion to knock this thing off the rails. Really disappointing, especially since so many of those in opposition don't even know what they're talking about. It's as if they think they can currently do whatever they want in The Pearl, but that The FBC will make it impossible. Just pure foolishness. Most of that neighborhood is already non-conforming and any new construction is going to require some accommodating and some process. The argument against FBC is presupposing that the current code is acceptable. It's not, especially in a neighborhood like The Pearl that has commercial, residential and industrial. If you're looking for a neighborhood where the FBC makes the most sense, it's The Pearl.

Our undertrained Planning Commission was ill-equipped to respond and appeared overwhelmed by the process. There are some really good guys on that Commission and I know they have the best of intentions, but this process is further exposing the need for some orientation. They are making decisions that shape the future of our city. These are big, important decisions. I've suggested it before and was chastised for it, but I'll say it again. City Councilors and Planning Commissioners need land use training before making these important decisions. . . and the County guys...don't even get me started.

The fact that Bill Leighty is the only one who felt confident to call out the B.S. that was being espoused in that meeting is troubling to me. When someone stands before an appointed body like that and tells blatant lies, we need people who know the truth there to call them on it. I didn't see that today...and I haven't seen it.

As we see things like this in Tulsa, we're going to have to have heart. It's not going to be easy to turn some of these lights on.

Sadly, the status quo has an army of influential supporters and almost everywhere you look lately, the status quo is winning.

I'll continue to hope that the exciting things happening inside the IDL will spread to influence the neighborhoods flanking downtown. We have to embrace and support the visionary actions that are happening in hopes that our community will continue to wake up to the notion that a great Tulsa has something for everyone and that our core and the areas around it are brimming with potential.

We can do better about offering urban amenities and lifestyle, but it will take stubborn and intelligent effort by citizens, as well our elected and appointed people. Thanks to those of you who showed up today. I know it's appreciated.

Keep fighting the good fight. We'll see better days. This isn't over.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2012, 11:28:08 pm »

When someone stands before an appointed body like that and tells blatant lies, we need people who know the truth there to call them on it. I didn't see that today...and I haven't seen it.

I feel so bad about this.  I could have shredded that guy today.  (all that philosophy logic training would have paid off)  I didn't know how or where to sign up to speak today and I should have asked.  His reasoning was VERY deeply flawed but the commision bought it.  I really could have just embarssed westervelt and helped the thing along.  I think I'm going to be guilty about this the rest of my days.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2012, 12:13:31 am »

Jacobi, I was referring to folks on the Commission not having the knowledge to dispute the lies, but I sure would have enjoyed your efforts. Would have been fun to watch. Next time.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
46hudson
Citizen

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »

Driving down 6th this morning and saw a new glass store front on a building to the north side of the street across from the Phoenix cafe site. It made me wonder what was happening with the area. It's at very least nice to see some investment continuing. The city sky line looks amazing along that stretch, the concept designs I've seen look awesome, just wish it would happen.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »

Sounds like a continuation of the mentality that brought us the loss of so many old buildings downtown and the Williams tower in their place.  The opposers...

Clean out the old styles and put in skyscraper(s)?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:28:15 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2012, 06:21:00 pm »

Sounds like a continuation of the mentality that brought us the loss of so many old buildings downtown and the Williams tower in their place.  The opposers...

Clean out the old styles and put in skyscraper(s)?

A bunch of RWRE Murdochians, no doubt.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »

A bunch of RWRE Murdochians, no doubt.

No.  But kind of short sighted I think.  Those older buildings had tremendous character.  Even if they were seriously run down....

Urban renewal of the early 70's.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 04:33:31 pm »

Driving down 6th this morning and saw a new glass store front on a building to the north side of the street across from the Phoenix cafe site. It made me wonder what was happening with the area. It's at very least nice to see some investment continuing. The city sky line looks amazing along that stretch, the concept designs I've seen look awesome, just wish it would happen.

I've also noticed some cosmetic work on the quadplex apartments just east of there on sixth street.  Nothing substantial.  Anyone know what the deal is there?  Are those apartments liveable with cosmetic work or are the current owner prettying them up a bit to try and sell to someone who will do a real renovation.  The place looked abandoned and was boarded up just a few weeks ago.  I can't imagine they can be leased  without substantial renovations.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2012, 08:11:05 am »

This is for my Wife's business.  She is opening a co-working space for Artists of all variety.  There will be all types of different stuff available for use, meeting rooms for individuals who want to meet with Clients and don't want to use an informal coffee shop format, a classroom will be available for people who want to teach workshops, about 1500 sf of shared studio space, a messy area for screen printing, eventual semi private studio space, ummm some other stuff.  It will be operated like a gym membership, plus there will be day passes available.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2012, 08:15:18 am »

This is for my Wife's business.  She is opening a co-working space for Artists of all variety.  There will be all types of different stuff available for use, meeting rooms for individuals who want to meet with Clients and don't want to use an informal coffee shop format, a classroom will be available for people who want to teach workshops, about 1500 sf of shared studio space, a messy area for screen printing, eventual semi private studio space, ummm some other stuff.  It will be operated like a gym membership, plus there will be day passes available.

Best of luck to her.  I hope she does well.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2012, 08:28:50 am »

Best of luck to her.  I hope she does well.

Thank you!  So far the response from the people in the [arts] community has been positive, so let's hope it carries over!  This is also another business coming over with us (established business and great people), but they have not announced yet, so there is still more to come!

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2012, 08:50:45 am »

6th Street between Deleware and Peoria is under going a small revival. Its very exciting to see people moving back into the near core areas of town.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2012, 09:04:46 am »

Sounds totally cool JC!

Here's a relatively unknown MIT partnership in the vicinity, the Tulsa Fab Lab at 7th & Lewis.  Similar membership concept and fosters creativity but I think probably a somewhat different clientele than JC's wife's project.

http://www.fablabtulsa.com

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2012, 09:58:07 am »

Sounds totally cool JC!

Here's a relatively unknown MIT partnership in the vicinity, the Tulsa Fab Lab at 7th & Lewis.  Similar membership concept and fosters creativity but I think probably a somewhat different clientele than JC's wife's project.

http://www.fablabtulsa.com

Yep, same type of format, just slightly different clientele.  We have been a huge fan of the Fablab and I really want to get a membership there... just have to wait until things have stabilized a bit on our business.

We are really excited to see the direction of this area.  The Lot 6 Art Bar is a great place to grab a "pop" and look at local art, and with the impending  openings of the Phoenix, the Recording Studio, Clean Hands, Creative Room(Wife's shop) and the yet to be named business with us... This place is going to explode with excitement in a relatively short amount of time.   

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org