A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:19:24 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Thrill (up my leg) is Gone!  (Read 4573 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 01:28:15 pm »

Tomorrow, President Obama is expected to pardon the White House turkey. 

Rumor has it that Austin Nichols Distilling, makers of Wild Turkey Bourbon, have agreed to hire the bird as a spokesperson.

If true, critics can no longer complain that President Obama's policies do not create jobs.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 01:34:16 pm »

Rumor has it that Austin Nichols Distilling, makers of Wild Turkey Bourbon, have agreed to hire the bird as a spokesperson.

If true, critics can no longer complain that President Obama's policies do not create jobs.

Yum!  Wild Turkey!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 09:09:28 am »

That's a really good catch: they are focusing on our differences rather than where we hold similar views.  Without a doubt the internet and multiple talk networks on radio and TV have made politics a whole lot more accessible 24/7 whereas 40 years ago it was the evening news and the local newspapers.

You very rarely ever hear a candidate saying the following, "John and I agree on just about everything, I think the people in this area will have a good representation regardless of who they elect".  Tey hire people to look for quotes that can be taken greatly out of context and skew it to make the other person look like they want to takeurguns/takeurjobs/takeurdollars/welcomeouralieninvaders.  Even though these guys agree on ever other issue.  I look at Inhoffs campaign (I think) and how the pulled old 80's photographs of Rice.  I remember the 80's a little bit and no one looked very proper at that point... unless you were already in politics.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:09 am »

You very rarely ever hear a candidate saying the following, "John and I agree on just about everything, I think the people in this area will have a good representation regardless of who they elect".  Tey hire people to look for quotes that can be taken greatly out of context and skew it to make the other person look like they want to takeurguns/takeurjobs/takeurdollars/welcomeouralieninvaders.  Even though these guys agree on ever other issue.  I look at Inhoffs campaign (I think) and how the pulled old 80's photographs of Rice.  I remember the 80's a little bit and no one looked very proper at that point... unless you were already in politics.

There're a lot of reasons for this, IMO, but much of it has to do with product differentiation. There's no compelling reason to buy the same brand of toilet paper over and over and over again if there's no difference between brands.  Why re-elect Obama if his competitor supports the same thing?  Or rather, why elect a challenger over an incumbent if there's no measurable difference? 

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 10:55:55 am »

You very rarely ever hear a candidate saying the following, "John and I agree on just about everything, I think the people in this area will have a good representation regardless of who they elect". 

The problem isn't that we don't hear candidates say that. The problem is that we don't hear people who are already in office saying that. Incumbents can get away with that sort of thing, being incumbents. They can say "Candidate X's hissy fit makes little sense. We agree on this, that, and the other very important things. We merely disagree about foo. I have x years experience in this job and I have done y and z to support my constituents." and still get re-elected.

They don't have to be fire-breathing assholes, but they are. I would be too, if that's what the conventional wisdom said I had to do to get the cushy job.

Challengers probably should be fire-breathers. We need that energy to keep from ossifying. However, once elected, our representatives need to get it through their thick skulls that they represent all of their constituents, not just those they are most closely in agreement with. If you feel like your task is to radically reshape society, you're probably doing it wrong. As much as I'd like my "side" to be able to dictate to everyone (not really, the Democrats are waaay too far into Wall Street's pocket for my taste), our system of government was designed to run on consensus.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 01:37:36 pm »

I would submit that the ones doing the pardoning ARE the White House Turkeys.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org