A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:18:53 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wait what'd I miss?  (Read 4868 times)
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« on: November 20, 2011, 07:39:53 pm »

Did we really just get leapfrogged by that sprawling mega cow town in the trails category?

http://local.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=31168734&page=3

When I saw their name on this list my jaw about dropped!

dbacks fan
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:05:52 pm »

Tulsa got beat by Flagstaff and it's population is about 60k.

Flagstaff, Az.
The outdoors-obsessed discovered Flagstaff decades ago, drawn by abundant park access both inside and outside city limits. Not surprisingly, the Flagstaff Urban Trails System, or FUTS (pronounced "foots"), is one of the best small city networks on the continent. The city boasts 50 miles of trails, with plans to add another 80 miles. Only fifty-percent of the FUTS is paved, no doubt so mountain bikers and trail runners can keep on their treads without leaving the city limits. Flagstaffers easily access the Arizona Trail, the 800-mile recreation trail that runs from the Mexican border to Utah, including 17.3 moderate miles within the city limits spanning from Fisher Point to Schultz Pass.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »

Did we really just get leapfrogged by that sprawling mega cow town in the trails category...

...or did somebody just not do enough research?

Sorry, not buying it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:39:29 am »

Doesn't look to be like the story was intended to be a "ranking" but just a random assemblage of cities that happen to have trails.   I would say our cities trails are nicer and have much nicer scenery than OKC's regardless.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:41:02 am »

Doesn't look to be like the story was intended to be a "ranking" but just a random assemblage of cities that happen to have trails.   I would say our cities trails are nicer and have much nicer scenery than OKC's regardless.

Well duh?

Grin

(Most of you know my opinion of that hole down the pike).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:35:43 am »

Very much nicer.  OKC's got nothing comparatively.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 01:43:24 pm »

Tulsa got beat by Flagstaff and it's population is about 60k.

They also have a real outdoor lighting ordinance, because they realize their commitment to their ecotourism economy is is greater than their commitment to help their electric utility sell their excess off-peak generating capacity.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 08:07:54 pm »

Tulsa doesn't have anything like Lake Hefner and its trails within the city limits.  That is a nice area and fun seeing the kite surfers there in the spring/summer.  I do prefer Tulsa's river trails especially since they've been redone. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »

Did we really just get leapfrogged by that sprawling mega cow town in the trails category?

http://local.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=31168734&page=3

When I saw their name on this list my jaw about dropped!

Was this a rankings piece to start with? 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:36:16 pm »

Tulsa doesn't have anything like Lake Hefner and its trails within the city limits.  That is a nice area and fun seeing the kite surfers there in the spring/summer.  I do prefer Tulsa's river trails especially since they've been redone.  

It is kind of a different infrastructure.  Hefner is nice (when there is water in it...) and the river in Tulsa is nice - as is the sand box south of the railroad bridge...

Tulsa's got a ton more trails.  OKC has a long way to go there.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org